10 pound to lose in 3 weeks - any advice?

Options
I’ve lost over 2 and half stone from March 2017, my target was to get to 8st by my birthday in April 2018!! I’m down to 8st 11lb but I’ve fell off the bandwagon and I can’t seem to get back into the way of it.
Anybody any advice/tips/motivation??

Replies

• HildieMe
    HildieMe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try Whole30 since you have a month! It's really an elimination diet but it will revv up you weightloss. whole30.com
  • aine1993mckay
    aine1993mckay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying!!!
    Yeah I understand I probably am being hard on myself! But I was so in the right mindset for so long and I was doing great. And about a month ago I just started falling back into old habits (which can be hard to get out off). I’m only 5ft!
    I’m just looking for something just to kickstart me again and motivate me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying!!!
    Yeah I understand I probably am being hard on myself! But I was so in the right mindset for so long and I was doing great. And about a month ago I just started falling back into old habits (which can be hard to get out off). I’m only 5ft!

Just consider this "falling off the bandwagon" a diet break (you TOTALLY meant to do that!) and get back to doing what you do. It's a mindset issue around guilt. You don't need a kickstart OR motivation - you formed good habits that just became real life to lose all that weight, right? You weren't motivated every single day for a whole year, you just got used to doing what you needed to do, like brushing your teeth or holding the door for elderly ladies. Just decide to get back on the wagon and it's no big deal because everyone goes a little off plan sometimes. :wink:
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying!!!

To lose 3+ lbs/week would require a daily 1500 calorie deficit, which at 5' could very well be your maintenance calories. How motivating is the idea of not eating for 3 weeks? ;)

Many find their motivation wanes when they get close to goal. To some extent, it's a matter of commitment to good habits (like brushing your teeth- few people are highly motivated to do that). Some start looking at new fitness goals to get them excited and that, as a side benefit, may help burn those last lbs.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The less you eat, the faster you lose. The lower your bodyweight, the slower you can lose. You have a low weight now. How tall are you? If you've lost 2 1/2 stone in a year, and then fallen off the wagon, chances are you were losing as fast as your body was able to, and speeding it up is not an option. Will you be denied access to your own birthday party if you don't pass the weigh-in? :/

Advice: Ignore the two previous posters; the vultures always come out to prey on the desperate.

I agree with your first paragraph. Re the second, do the two people you mentioned gain something personally?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    utahjulia wrote: »
    The less you eat, the faster you lose. The lower your bodyweight, the slower you can lose. You have a low weight now. How tall are you? If you've lost 2 1/2 stone in a year, and then fallen off the wagon, chances are you were losing as fast as your body was able to, and speeding it up is not an option. Will you be denied access to your own birthday party if you don't pass the weigh-in? :/

Advice: Ignore the two previous posters; the vultures always come out to prey on the desperate.

I agree with your first paragraph. Re the second, do the two people you mentioned gain something personally?
    I wouldn't know that, and it wasn't really my point, either, whether exactly those two have a direct/personal interest in exactly those programs. Dieters are vulnerable, and are willing to do just about anything, and those who are willing to exploit that, know it too. Just a general heads-up.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I wouldn't know that, and it wasn't really my point, either, whether exactly those two have a direct/personal interest in exactly those programs. Dieters are vulnerable, and are willing to do just about anything, and those who are willing to exploit that, know it too. Just a general heads-up.

Ah. I assumed they meant well. Having been accused of a combination of stupidity and bad judgment for a sincere post myself, I think it seems uncivil to call them vultures preying on the desperate. (It also suggests the OP is intellectually compromised.) JMO.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Ah. I assumed they meant well. Having been accused of a combination of stupidity and bad judgment for a sincere post myself, I think it seems uncivil to call them vultures preying on the desperate. (It also suggests the OP is intellectually compromised.) JMO.

The majority of people who post links are looking to profit. You can become an affiliate of larger scale programs (so you get paid for driving traffic their way) and if the author or blogger isn't a famous person, it's quite possible the poster is in fact the author/blogger.

To be fair, some people are genuinely trying to help.
  • ewood1497
    ewood1497 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not much for a lot of the diets since they aren't sustainable, but I think good food choices are much easier to maintain. I suppose watch your "bad" sugar intake closely and keep it lower, like under 25 grams? Keep your protein levels up and equal to your lean body mass. For example, mine is around 140 lbs, so I try to get as close to 140 grams of protein a day. Lots of veggies to keep you full. I think a good carb level for the day is about 1.5xLBM. That's veggies and whole grains kind of stuff though, not sugar. It's okay to eat fat, but not too much of course, and should be the healthy types like avocado, olive oil, lean meat, etc. I shoot for about 58 grams a day. I also try to get close to 1450 calories a day. Too much lower and I have nothing to take off when I need to push my weight loss a little further, since you need like 1200 minimum a day, you know? :) And it looks like you have already lost a good amount, so you're probably at a plateau. If you don't lift weights try that several times a week, or if you do that already, try running or cycling. Try a new exercise class maybe to mix it up. Get lots of sleep and water too. Good luck and congrats on all of the progress you made so far in meeting your personal goals. :)
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I just want to share part of my story, in case it might help.

I restarted MFP in April 2016, after what I planned as a 2 month break, turned into 17 months, because I let things slide and made excuses. But restarting was the best thing I did, I wish I had returned sooner but I learnt from this and have logged everyday since, no matter how "good" or "bad". I have found a balance between the two and "around life", with an unbroken 2 year streak .

You have successfully lost over 35lb in 12 months = 3lb a month, which is great. You found what was working for you, look back at what made you stop and why, then try to find the middle ground. But as you are already at a healthy weight, you should aim for 0.5lb a week lose and forget about your deadline. Aim for perseverance and consistency, not perfection, nor all or nothing.

When I restarted I had already lost 18lb and needed to lose a further 23lb in 18 months. This target weight (set by Dr), meant to be by my 50th birthday, finally to be fit at fifty. During that 18 months, I had my good days and bad, but I also developed many new healthy habits. Fortunately I learnt a lot from these forums along the way, by learning to listen to the right people and follow their good advice. Most importantly to let go of my timeline and realising there is no end, no longer a quick weight loss fix, but now a healthy way of eating for life.

My start weight; 14st 3lb in June 2014
    Restarted at; 12st 13lb in April 2016
    With a GW of 11 st 4lb by 14th October 2017

On my birthday I weighed 11st 8lb - Did I fail, I would have thought so, in my old mindset and probably given up along the way. Returning to old habits, as I have done in the past, then regained some, if not all of my weight (& more!).

But Thanks to MFP and the folks on this forum, I have learnt to recognise it as the success it is, rather than failure. I may have been 4lb from my goal weight. But I had lost 2st 5lb, through diet alone, because of my disabilities, plus my blood tests results, showed huge improvements. SUCCESS not failure.

Knowing this was my new lifestyle, I turned fifty but I continued with my new healthy balanced diet, now a way of life. As mentioned above my daily habits have become second nature. So 6 months on, I have still continued to lose weight (and I'm still 50!), my current weight is now 10st 8.8lb. A further 13lb loss, giving me a total loss of 3st 8.2lb and a healthy bmi!

8lb under my original goal and I'm still losing, waiting to see where I end up, then choosing my new weight range for maintenance.

So take 1 day at a time, aim to hit your calorie target, forget deadlines and develop new habits, find what works for you, and stick to it. Weighing foods and accurate logging is key when you only have the last few pounds to lose.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    You have done really well, you look fabulous.

Just look back at your food diary, remind yourself of how you achieved the weight loss and maybe copy a couple of weeks food when you had good losses and get back into that groove.

I think it is normal to get a bit lax when you near your goal weight so don't sweat it too much.

Just aim to lose another couple of pounds in the next month, don't put yourself under any stress and just enjoy your party. No one is going to know your weight.

Then you can do the last push to your goal.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    You're 25 and gorgeous. Relax and listen to RuNaRoUnDaField...
    My advice is get your hair and nails done. Buy a killer dress and enjoy your birthday.

You can get back on track after...
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Calendar driven goals are an invitation to turn weight loss success, losses, into failure, not on time.

Make your goal gaining control of the process. Redo all your numbers like it’s day #1 to aim for a modest, livable and sustainable calorie deficit.
    Try to get the scale moving on a downward trend and ride the trend. If you don’t get all the way to goal, make modest adjustments until you get the scale moving again.

Track everything every day no matter what. At this point you need to spend at least as much time figuring out how you are going to live with your new lifestyle as thinking about the scale. Good luck.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

kimny explained well (including things I wasn't aware of - thank you!).

Bad jugdment in a pressed situation (like this one) hasn't so much to do with being stupid, but with being irrational - there's a distinction; even the most intelligent people get scammed, because the problem at hand becomes so large and close and complex to us, that our ability to think logically crumbles, because the scam goes directly on our emotions - look at how all scams are built up: make us feel unique and special, taking away guilt for being impatient or greedy, just so lucky to have found this, suspension of disbelief (cause-effect), "this is different", often by appealing to autority/science, and creates a sense of urgency and scarcity (limited offer).