Bad knee workaround

Options
I've managed to develop bursitis or something similar in my knee which makes it painful to do anything in the realm of weight-bearing bends. So no squats, lunges, and traditional deadlifts are touchy. Leg press or other weighted push/pulls also hurt. No running or stair climbing either. Other than glute bridges and RDLS, are their other ways to work glutes and quads that don't require bending the knee? Working on rest, ice, and anti-inflammation, but don't want to lose a ton of progress in the meantime if I can help it. Thanks.

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I’d recommended gradually increasing range of motion for things like body weight squats and lunges. I also have knee issues. One of the most important things we can do is maintain range of motion. Have you seen a physical therapist? They can give you some good mobility movements that involve no weight bearing to start with
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've managed to develop bursitis or something similar in my knee which makes it painful to do anything in the realm of weight-bearing bends. So no squats, lunges, and traditional deadlifts are touchy. Leg press or other weighted push/pulls also hurt. No running or stair climbing either. Other than glute bridges and RDLS, are their other ways to work glutes and quads that don't require bending the knee? Working on rest, ice, and anti-inflammation, but don't want to lose a ton of progress in the meantime if I can help it. Thanks.

I'd get an actual diagnosis and then work with a physio to get it better.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've seen my kinesiologist who's working on the muscle imbalance but didn't give exercises. Doctor just said "oh it's inflammation - rest, ice and ibuprofen" - didn't refer to physical therapist. Can push for a referral I guess.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I've seen my kinesiologist who's working on the muscle imbalance but didn't give exercises. Doctor just said "oh it's inflammation - rest, ice and ibuprofen" - didn't refer to physical therapist. Can push for a referral I guess.

Xray/MRI?

IF the doctor has determined with imagery that it's in fact nothing, Then get some good Neoprene wraps(for comfort) and work on strengthening whatever imbalances exist. Glute/IT Band, etc. Ice and heat after exertion, compression wraps for comfort and keep pressing.

IF you haven't gotten Xray/MRI/other Imagery done. Make sure it's in fact nothing.

Also you can talk to your kinesiologist regarding whether or not flossing(again for comfort) is appropriate.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If it's bursitis then you need to back off and rest the knee so it can heal.

If you keep aggravating it you can develop more serious problems that are permanent.

Take a month off from any leg exercises or longer if necessary.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Is it bursitis or isn't it?
    Until you know that then neither you or anyone else know the way forward.
    That might be total rest or it might be rehab exercises but doing the wrong thing will only prolong your problem.
    There's loads of structures that can get inflamed and for very different reasons.

For example I had fat pad impingement (Hoffa's Pad) - it needed rest.
    I've also injured several ligaments and cartileges and needed rehab.

I found a sports physio by far the best guide and a good one knows when you need referral to a orthopaedic surgeon.