Patella instability?

Options
Has anyone had this? I am having tests but looks like this is what it’ll be. Extremely gutted as I play netball so obviously this is a big no no for now. Have read strengthening thighs is good. I’ve been told cycling is ok which I find dull but if it helps I’ll try anything! Has anyone had any experience? Did you try physio or had anyone had surgery? Thanks.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Is this a case where your knee hurt and you got a diagnosis or have you had a case where the patella is significantly out of place?

(I've had knee pain that the PTs all say is due to the patella being out of alignment. I take that with a grain of salt. It seems more like patellar tendinitis. I've also had a patellar tear in the other knee a few years back.)
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've displaced/dislocated both my knees several times, my knee joint isn't shaped right so it's always a liability. When I exercise properly and do strength quads the knees do feel better but even then I don't have confidence in them. Cycling is great for me and I do enjoy it so it is not a problem.
  • Mrs_P_6817
    Mrs_P_6817 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I’m currently suffering from a torn meniscus which is causing no end of pain in my knee. If knee pain goes on for more than a couple of weeks you should go and get it checked by your doctor. It could be something as simple as needing to strengthen your quads or it could be something more serious. I’ve got an MRI scan tomorrow to find out exactly how much damage I have done by carrying on with exercise/work (I’m a nurse and on my feet 12 hours a day). I should’ve got it seen to earlier, now I’m on crutches.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've had a patella tendon strain in 1 knee after a hilly 5K takes a long time to heal and is just rest and as little stress on knee as possible changed to swimming for a while vs walking. A patella wrap helped I now wear them whenever I do long runs or walks. Not sure of any exercises to strengthen them as they are tendons.