Is it bad to go over in protein ?

I am trying to gain weight and build lean muscle . I understand it had to be 1 gram x your weight . What happens if I go over 30 grams ? Is that bad ?

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited March 2018
    As long as you're getting adequate amounts of dietary fat and your micronutrients are sufficient, it doesn't really matter.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Nothing bad happens if you don't have preexisting medical conditions or kidney disease. Studies have shown that there is no downside to overfeeding on protein: https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-19

As long as you're resistance/strength training with proper programming and progressively loading and getting stronger, you will build lean muscle.

Weight gain is determined by being in a caloric surplus, so whether that comes in the form of protein, carbs, or fat, that's fine. It's probably better to err on the side of higher protein intake than less.

Calculate your calories needed to gain weight at a steady rate, set protein to around 0.8-1.2g/lb, then distribute your carbs and fat however you like.
  • chiquitalok
    chiquitalok Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you !
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Nope, I always go over in my protein and fats...however I rarely hit my carbs goal. Caloric wise, I am on point all the time. As long as you don't eat a *kitten* load of protein, you will be fine.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I am trying to gain weight and build lean muscle . I understand it had to be 1 gram x your weight . What happens if I go over 30 grams ? Is that bad ?

Your weight in what units? Pounds or kilos?
    30 grams? How does that fit in with your body weight in whatever unit?

Confusing post but assume you mean 1g of protein per pound of body weight - going over isn't an issue unless you are crowding out other aspects of a nutritious diet.

PS - if you are eating kittens go for the really fluffy ones as they are a better source of fibre. ;)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

Your weight in what units? Pounds or kilos?
    30 grams? How does that fit in with your body weight in whatever unit?

Confusing post but assume you mean 1g of protein per pound of body weight - going over isn't an issue unless you are crowding out other aspects of a nutritious diet.

PS - if you are eating kittens go for the really fluffy ones as they are a better source of fibre. ;)

Gross! Surely one should skin the kittens first?
  • J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    If you are consuming a lot of protein powder you might have some really nasty farts
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    nope, eat all the proteins!!
    Unless those proteins are red meat based and if you're prone to kidney stones, then don't eat all the proteins
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    vmlabute wrote: »
    nope, eat all the proteins!!
    Unless those proteins are red meat based and if you're prone to kidney stones, then don't eat all the proteins

Especially if low in magnesium, Vit D and K2 that are key to calcium level management.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Kittens are a good gluten free, non-GMO, non-grain fed, low carbohydrate, low glycemic index, low fat, low calorie good source of protein...just always check your kitten for hormone and antibiotic free before consuming (...how I imagine kittens would be advertised/marketed for)
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    No. Going over in protien isn’t bad. Prolonged over protien can put stress on you kidneys as you just pee out unused protien. But that’s extreme overage on protien. Day to day it’s no big deal if your over a bit if other days your under. Look at the averages weekly and monthly.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    For some people at certain dosage the high protein diet can lead to constipation, but that can be managed by getting adequate fiber and hydration. Sorry if that’s TMI.
  • Sparkeysworld
    Sparkeysworld Posts: 107 Member
    0.8 - 1g protein per lb of bodyweight is all that is needed.