Any other non-drinkers?

Options
I recently stopped drinking alcohol, partly for weight reasons but for other health reasons too. Now I find when I am in social gatherings where there’s alcohol, I feel self conscious about not drinking and I chow down on more junk food than usual! Then of course the next day, I feel guilty and gross.
Any other non-drinkers here? How do you deal with the social aspect of it?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't drink (I tried, I don't like it), and I don't know and don't care what others think about it, if they even do.
  • Margee1965
    Margee1965 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don’t drink too none drink liver damage I don’t mind others drinking round me if let friends come too house the drink it don’t both me my health more important I do what’s best for me if want drink zero coke on night it still enjoy I don’t need alcohol too go out you can have gd night with out it least wake up with clear head next day ..... think drinks so over rated used too much in life now ask u self do you really need it too enjoy I self or get by every day x
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Try having diet sodas or other drinks instead when other people drink. Often there are alcohol free options too like alcohol free wine. I have gone to a party once with only juice without mixing in the vodka and no one noticed. They just thought I was hella good at mixing drinks since you couldn't even taste the alcohol lol. If everyone else is drunk you just have to act a bit silly and they won't think twice about what you are drinking
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Not for 32 years, here. I still end up at social occasions once in a while where most are drinking and I am not. Practice in that helps. A nice looking noncaloric non alcoholic drink like sparkling water with ice and lime is a really good prop. Find or take nonlethal snacks too, maybe a veggie tray. Buzzed people are convivial in the pre-sloppy stages and funny if a little sad in the later stages. Knowing I really, genuinely, wholeheartedly do not want to be buzzed for all sorts of good reasons is the key.

Plus, buzzed people are not super observant, they're busy doing them. You do you :) and you will be fine.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Plus you can get a hella contact high off buzzed people I find, which is a little dangerous for those of us with addictive disorders, but since your reasons for laying off the booze are health and weight related ... relax and enjoy!!
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking socially in over a year, partly due to focusing on loosing weight and partly due to just being bored/sick of it. Honestly I have lost friends because of it and I am completely fine with that, I don't want to be with people who need alcohol or have to go to bars every weekend to have fun.
    But when I am at social events like weddings or what not I just drink water. I think of it this way, Id rather look good and feel good rather than feel like *kitten* the next day because to me time is precious.
    Now I may have a glass of nice whiskey a few times a year but that's because I enjoy it rather than just going out to have fun.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    I didn’t drink for several years, a big weight loss help. Now I’m kinda like Tankiscool, I have about 1 drink a month. Doesn’t interest me much. There are a lot of times living a healthy lifestyle when we just have to go our own way.

Bring your own, diet soda, seltzer, no alcohol beer, anything that works. Set yourself up away from the snacks. Or, bring your own.

Toughen up. Weight loss can require a thick skin sometimes.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm not teetotal but it's very rare that I drink, maybe a few times a year at most. I generally just avoid the social events, although I am a fan of Seedlip as a G&T replacement (virtually no calories with diet tonic, as well)! I think there's also alcohol-free vermouth available on Amazon, AND cocktail bars will often make mocktails (though they will obviously have a certain number of calories). There are choices out there :)
  • aggiumma
    aggiumma Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've never been much of a drinker, and it's never bothered me or hindered me socially. My parents can't drink much either and it's never been an issue for them either, so I suppose I grew up thinking it's normal not to drink around drinkers. My parents used to throw a lot of parties at our house and it was always amusing to see others drink to excess while my parents just had a good time drinking water and sodas.

Anyway, I do what my parents used to do - just drink water and have fun having conversation and listening to music and what not. Ironically, I married a guy who can drink a lot. He's toned down a lot since being with me though.
  • stthemary
    stthemary Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm not a drinker, never have been. I never liked the taste, and saw my exhusband throw his life away for it. My bff doesn't drink either, so it's never been an issue for me really. If someone offers to buy me a drink, I get a soda.
  • OliverRaningerVegan
    OliverRaningerVegan Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    i dont like drink alcohol.....not my taste. not sexy
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I’ve also recently cut down on alcohol. I haven’t stopped completely because honestly I really enjoy beer but I try to limit myself to one or two. And typically when I’m drinking a lot, it’s cheap beer, so I figured I’d rather save those calories for actual food or good beer.

So far I haven’t had anyone really question it. When I do drink, I pace myself a lot more so a single beer may last me 30 minutes where as before it lasted 5.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Never drank alcohol. The tastes just repulses me and the few sips I have had have made me gag. Could be psychological could be physical but I am not eager to find out.It has never bothered me the not drinking. I have a water, soda or a juice when others have a drink. When I was a student my friends joked I got drunk on orange juice. Basically meaning I just go with the flow. I know what I encounter and to be honest in those days it meant I took care of a fair few friends when things were getting a little out of control
    I'd go on pub-crawls with my mates. Always knew where we'd ended up and who with whom. People checked with me stating "please tell me I did/didn't do xyz" It was great fun. I mean really I always knew that it was me that was having the fun vs the alcohol.

I never ended up eating much junk because I'd have so much other stuff to drink, I still had a great time going out (really alcohol is highly overrated there) and I loved to party at times.
    These days no partying as I grew out of it. I still don't drink and I still prefer being sober, in control and having lots of fun.
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @lannebenoit120 there’s an organization called Better Drinking Culture that you might find helpful.

https://betterdrinkingculture.org
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have never been an alcohol drinker really. I have not found in my adult life that anyone cared that I was not drinking alcohol.

I just get a non-alcoholic drink I enjoy to sip and chat like anyone. I don't park myself next to the snacks.
    I don't go to bars or hang out with people whose goal is to get drunk. I don't tell others what to do but I don't enjoy being around drunk people or super loud places. I have a mix of friends who drink and don't drink I guess.