Nervous about going out to eat

ladyslippers13
ladyslippers13 Posts: 4
edited October 1 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm still pretty new to this, although I am already in love with MFP. I've been doing so well already this past week, and it's helped me gain control of my eating decisions in a way that I've never been able to before. I love that it lets me add recipes and counts up the calories for me, it makes calorie counting so easy. However, I'm going out to a restaurant this Friday with some friends, and I'm a bit nervous about being able to calorie count. It isn't a chain restaurant, so I doubt I'll be able to input the recipes like I would if it was TGIF for example. Does anyone have any advice or pointers? Thanks!:happy:

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Where ever you go, you'll probably receive a huge portion, so bag up half immediately. Limit yourself to only one of whatever free bread that most restaurants plonk down without asking. Drink water. And watch out for things fried or covered in heavy sauces. That's my advice.
  • Just eat basic things. Like grilled fish, chicken, or steak. Eat a sweet potato and ask for all butter/dressings on the side. Its really no biggie eating out. I do it at least once a week. Also on the meat...they will know the ounces just ask them.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Aim for something without too many hidden ingredients (pasta is easy to hide extra butter and cream in, for example.)

Everything will probably be less healthy than you'd prepare it, but you're allowed to enjoy yourself once in a while.
  • Just eat basic things. Like grilled fish, chicken, or steak. Eat a sweet potato and ask for all butter/dressings on the side. Its really no biggie eating out. I do it at least once a week. Also on the meat...they will know the ounces just ask them.

Also I always tell the waiter up front...I don't want any bread. You will be with friends though so I would just not eat the bread. You never know whats in it...like "Logan's Roadhouse" NO JOKE each roll has 227calories!!! Holy Jesus!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Eating out for us is once a week or less and i'm going to eat whatever i want without guilt. That doesn't mean you can't eat sensibly. If you want a steak order a 4-6 oz steak with all the trimmings. I'm going to have bread heck yes and maybe dessert. People don't gain weight having a festive meal occasionally. It's gained over years not hours or days. I find it quite silly that people get scared to eat things they like. Moderation not deprivation.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Eating out for us is once a week or less and i'm going to eat whatever i want without guilt. That doesn't mean you can't eat sensibly. If you want a steak order a 4-6 oz steak with all the trimmings. I'm going to have bread heck yes and maybe dessert. People don't gain weight having a festive meal occasionally. It's gained over years not hours or days. I find it quite silly that people get scared to eat things they like. Moderation not deprivation.

Well put.
  • Thanks for all the advice guys. Wildon, I agree with what you're saying, but I'm a little afraid that if i get derailed I won't get back on track. We're going to a Peruvian restaurant though, so I'll probably stick with the amazing fish ceviche dishes and maybe try a bite of a few appetizers. Thanks again!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member

Totally agree! I've learnt to make better choices if I know I'm out more than once in a week, but generally special occasions or just a night on the tiles is made for enjoying, the trick just getting straight back on the wagon the next day. Lifestyle choice not deprivation diet.
This discussion has been closed.