How do i stop craving sugar?

Options
I crave sugary things like yogurt covered pretzels, ice cream, etc... How do i stop eating it as much?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Options
    That reminds me -- I reject the popular notion that you shouldn't deny yourself. That you should occasionally indulge. Not me! I'm as bad with sugar as the worst drunk is with alcohol. Sugar is my heroin. Sweetener is just methadone. Sweets are simply something I can never have.

After all, if I DO eat a sweet and I enjoy it at all, then I'm right back to enjoying sweets. I'd rather keep looking at them with revulsion.

It depends on the person. When i abstain, i crave foods more and binge. When i incorporate things in my diet, i am much more complaint. I have kept off 50 lbs for 6 years by doing it. And life is too short for me, to eliminate foods i love. For example, around this time of year, i incorporate Cadbury Eggs into my diet. Once Easter passes, i rarely crave them. I actually crave dinner foods more often, like steak.

Op, so it depends on your personality. You can either save 10% of your calories for treats ot abstain. I would also put more focus on protein.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I find that if I avoid items with added sugar (I.e. Cakes, chocolate, cookies, etc.), I can do well with staying away. I will create something with a sweetener instead and be perfectly happy with it. If I eat those cakes, cookies or chocolate though, I find that I seek them out more and struggle to limit myself.

I did buy myself a 70% dark chocolate Lindt bar for Easter... Hopefully I can stick to that. I'm sure my kids wouldn't be happy if they found me hiding in the closet with their delicious milk chocolates lol!
  • fourhappypaws
    fourhappypaws Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I simply cannot have any of my even relatively healthy sweets (raisons, and peanut butter) in the house. Nooo self control. I hope someday to have enough self disapline ...note: I'm single and don't have to worry about any one elseeeee
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    That reminds me -- I reject the popular notion that you shouldn't deny yourself. That you should occasionally indulge. Not me! I'm as bad with sugar as the worst drunk is with alcohol. Sugar is my heroin. Sweetener is just methadone. Sweets are simply something I can never have.

After all, if I DO eat a sweet and I enjoy it at all, then I'm right back to enjoying sweets. I'd rather keep looking at them with revulsion.

And I'm the person who is smack dab in between. If I don't eat sugar for a week or two, I can eat a small amount and handle it. But if I have too much one day, or just a small amount daily for several days in a row, I lose control. Then I have to stop cold again for a few weeks and start again.