Tendonitis

Options
Who has tendonitis all over their body besides me? I have begun a foam rolling regime to heal thy self. I don't have money for more physical therapy. I'm staying motivated, even if I just go to the pool and move around a bit, focus on abs and nutrition. I'd just like to hear about other people's injuries that they are going through. I have so many, its not even funny. Why does my body suck? I am happy with my present weight and I've worked hard to get here, but I can't be as physically fit as I'd like because I am always getting sidelined by injury.

Replies

• TheFlyOnTheWall
    TheFlyOnTheWall Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I was doing just fine, walking 5 miles a day...then I got the bright idea to try cardio with Fitness Blender on youtube - I did the easiest beginner one I could find - a whole 8 minutes or so, including warm up and cool down - and ended up pulling several muscles in my back

If I ever heal, I've already made myself promise to stick to walking :(
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to here this, I have tendonitis in both my hands & wrists, I'm ok except for flair ups so I quit doing any kind of exercise where it requires me to put a lot of weight on my wrists, like push ups. I love fitness blender
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    tendinopathy in glute medius and hamstring on the left side. it's taking wayyyyy longer than i meant/wanted/expected it to, partly because it is so freaking hard to isolate your glute med when it's been less than healthy for a long time. not saying it's hard to work it. saying it's hard just to get it to fire and to keep the various 'compensators' out of the way.

for me, eccentric loaded drills for the specific muscles affected have been the only thing that actually improved the situation and produced any form of progress. personally, i quit foam rolling and most definitely quit stretching. both of them are like scratching the scabs off something that's trying to heal. i didn't find them useful. but that might just be me.

since diagnosis i'm really going with 'don't agitate it, and do strengthen it' and so far that seems like the best.
  • glacierlilly1
    glacierlilly1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, @canadianlbs , @Evamutt , @TheFlyOnTheWall ... interesting to hear your experiences. I have pes anserine bursitis of the left knee, bicep tendinitis of the right shoulder, TFL tensor facia latte tendonitis on the right side. I recently got over having gluteal tendonitis on both sides and plantar faciitis on both feet for around a year. I currently have a sprained ankle and am now getting over the flu, which is why I'm just now seeing your posts! I do wonder if the foam rolling aggravated the TFL more but everything hurt like hell when I had the flu symptoms, all joints and muscles. OMG am I getting old or what?

I'm having to get majorly creative, it just seems like once I start getting positive moment (with pain even) more *kitten* happens and I am pushed back. One step forward two steps back lol. Trying to stay positive but golly gee this ain't easy.
  • glacierlilly1
    Options
    correction - positive momentum (not moment) and more stuff (not kitten) lol
  • glacierlilly1
    Options
    @canadianlbs I know what you mean by the primary muscles not firing anymore, having to train them to do this. Too much sitting at a desk all day and then coming home exhausted and sitting - doing this for twenty years, doesn't make it easy to move forward. I no loner sit at a desk, but it sure would be nice to not have this dumb sprained ankle.
  • glacierlilly1
    Options
    @flyonthewall sorry to hear about your back! Sounds so frustrating! Sucks when you think you're doing positive only to find out it makes things worse and not better. I soooo feeel your pain.
  • glacierlilly1
    Options
    @Evamutt that really has to suck with the wrists, but we survive don't we. I've never heard of fitness blender until now. Looks like you love dogs...me too.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Who has tendonitis all over their body besides me? I have begun a foam rolling regime to heal thy self. I don't have money for more physical therapy. I'm staying motivated, even if I just go to the pool and move around a bit, focus on abs and nutrition. I'd just like to hear about other people's injuries that they are going through. I have so many, its not even funny. Why does my body suck? I am happy with my present weight and I've worked hard to get here, but I can't be as physically fit as I'd like because I am always getting sidelined by injury.

I have in the past.

It can be corrected, but it take patience and certainly knowledge as well.

Foam rolling doesn't do a thing for tendonitis other than a placebo at best. Physical therapy can be a waste of time & money in most cases as it isn't about massage or band work to heal it.

First the cause of tendinopathy has to be determined. Treatment sometimes can be rest, but not always possible or actually ideal since tendons are course and need more blood to repair themselves or life dictates how much rest is available. Hence why a common misleading treatment might be massage is prescribed.

Something as simple as bad programming, bad form, repetitive movements, age (withered tendons) or autoimmune disease can cause it.

Hope you find the treatments that heal you.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Le sigh. I've been sidelined by injuries for the past couple of months. Bursitis and tendonosis in my right shoulder and fractured kneecap. I've also got something wacky going on with my outside right hip. It's not interfering with anything yet, but I need to figure out what is causing it. I've been strengthening the heck out of my rotator cuffs and scapula. I still have issues fully getting my arm overhead however. My core is good, my rotators are good now, my scapula is pretty mobile, but everything doesn't seem to be working together. I've laid off of pressing completely for months, but maybe it's still tight pecs.
  • glacierlilly1
    Options
    @mom23mangos sorry to hear about your issues. Talking about everything not working together, I get that - I see now how important muscle symmetry is. Is there one exercise that works the leg muscles equally lol?
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you're getting to a pool, can you swim? I have no idea what some of your ailments are, or what restrictions are placed on you, but I had plantar fasciitis and had to get into the water to avoid losing my endurance from running (which led to the PF). I started in a water X class and then decided to try swimming laps (it helps to have swim experience, but I'm living proof that you don't have to have much, lol). I now run 2x a week (it's all my foot allows me) and do water X at least 3x/week with laps. Last week I swam 2 miles for the first time ever. When I swam laps the first time, I made it one length, barely able to breathe. Just a thought. You must be incredibly frustrated after being so active.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    At a certain age, one gets the Great Migrating Injury (AKA migrating injury syndrome). That is, you are always injured somewhere. And, as soon as that one heals, another injury pops up somewhere else.
    Somewhere about age 35 years, I developed plantar fasciitis, from playing soccer, where you sprint and turn and torque, and running high miles during the week.
    That's been fairly chronic since. For many, many years, every Monday and Tuesday, after soccer on the weekend, I would literally be hobbling. Over the years I have learned how to treat it and now I can manage to get it almost 100 percent better -- for a while -- until I do something stupid and it flares again.
    Then I tore my ACL, a bit of cartilage and some meniscus. After 6 months of trying to will myself to get better, I finally had surgery. It took almost a year to get better from that and I was better for about six months, when I tore the meniscus again. It's been about a year and a half with that and .......
    And that's just the lower body! Ha....Ouch. Hurts when I laugh....
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    yes, as I advance in age, it is a constant battle of one thing after another... like a leaky pipe.. fix a spot and spring a leak down the line.. haha no fun at all...
  • spdaphne
    spdaphne Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Oh boo, that sounds horrible. I have it only in my right foot. I've done PT for it and I use orthotics which reminds me I should get some new ones. The PT exercises helped a lot and once in a while, I'll do it. They mostly help strengthen and stretch the muscles and helps with stability. I've noticed in my personal training that when I do certain balance exercises or even yoga, my arches get really tried, but it's because I normally don't work it out and it's weak. It gets irritated sometimes like if I go on super long walks or whatever, but if I ice it, it helps. And rest of course.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Who has tendonitis all over their body besides me?

I have had in the past - In the span of about 2 years, at one point, I had tendonitis in both shoulders, golfers elbow AND tennis elbow in both elbows, carpal tunnel, plantar fasciitis in both feet, sprained my ankle, pulled muscles in both thighs, and in my feet (so weird), and was often sick with colds or flus.

That said, unless someone is just absolutely going crazily intense in the workouts? The number of injuries you describe rarely happens without something else impacting your body.

For me, I turned out to be a celiac. I was one of the 1/3 of celiacs who get no gut symptoms of any kind when they eat gluten (even though damage is done). Instead, I had problems that arose from the increased inflammation all over my body. Which meant I didn't have to over exercise or overuse any body muscle group for them to be inflamed and then get injured during exercise. Because I was inflamed all the time, whenever I exercised, I would almost always injure something, or even sometimes doing nothing at all.

The disease also makes one vitamin deficient so for me, it resulted in my immune system not having the resources to fight off illness as easily.

Since that happened to me (that was about 8 years ago, now), I've met a lot of other people in the same boat who ended up finding out that they had some source of body-wide inflammation, or some other underlying condition, that was the root cause of so many injuries. low level allergies, for example, or auto-immune disorders, and so on. That's not saying that is what you are having, but it might be worth exploring, if you are just doing normal levels of exercise but still getting so injured.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
  • glacierlilly1
    Options
    @girlswithcurls2

I tried swimming and love it, but it flared up my bicep tendonitis. Thank you for your support!
  • glacierlilly1
    Options
    @GiddyupTim you crack me up... good grief, getting old ain't for sissies is it?
  • glacierlilly1
    Options
    @ekim2016 geez laweez.
  • glacierlilly1
    Options
    @sdaphnie thanks for the support