Walking

Options
I go walking everyday with my sister-in-law. We are both trying to lose weight and be healthier. The problem is, the walk isn't challenging at all to me. We can't walk faster, because she can barely keep up and keep breath enough to talk at the speed we go now, which is leisurely for me. While I'm sure her heart rate gets pretty high, mine doesn't. I enjoy walking with her, and she is doing well with the motivation I give her, but I'd like to add some "umph" to my time spent walking.

So...If I do some jumping jacks or some sprints right before we go walking, will that boost in heart rate help me get more/burn more calories while walking?? If not, what could I do??

Replies

• ritafay2011
    Options
    :huh: HELLO==I ADD DUMBELLS WHEN WALKING,JUST SAYING MAYBE THAT WOULD BE A BIT BETTER WHILE WALKING://?
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Humor her, and walk with her during your regular scheduled walks. But maybe spend another time walking at your own speed on your own? Add dumbbells or ankle weights, etc.
  • hotwow
    hotwow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Add ankle weights.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of dumbells or light weights while walking.
    The idea of stopping occasionally (every 3 or 4 minutes) during your walk to do 30 seconds of jumping jacks or lunges or something while she walks in place would help you both. You could also focus on raising your knees higher occasionally or something like that.
    good luck!
  • Rickie_Raver
    Rickie_Raver Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem with a friend of mine. I usually just walk with her for 10-15 mins then she stops and I continue on for 15 mins more at a faster pace.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Maybe have a chat with her about this. And start walking with her only every other day. Or a few times a week. Jumping jacks will boost your heart rate, but it won't keep it there. This is YOUR journey. It's noble that you want to help her, but you have to do what's best for you.
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thanks...I have some dumbbells. I'll take them today and see if that helps. We normally walk for about an hour, but I walk to her house and back alone, I think I'm gonna start running that part of the walk...
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    How long have you been walking with her? The only way walking will work is if you progress. Maybe you are progresing faster, so you should step it up a notch. I'm sure she will understand that you both can't have he same pace. I think it will make her want to work harder to catch up to you. I know when I was walking with a friend she was jogging and I was only walking and it made me want to work harder and now i'm jogging.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I would recommend asking your doc before wearing ankle weights during a walk. I just bought a set, and they specifically warn against wearing them for walking, as they throw off your center of gravity. I would stick to using handheld weights.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    walk a little ahead of her and do some jumping jacks while she catches up. can do side jumps, lunges. put weights on your ankles & wrists to make it more challenging - pump your arms will also give you more workout
  • ajl2
    ajl2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would try adding ankle weights and dumbbells. I bet that would help get your heart rate going.
  • cindytetrault
    Options
    I agree with adding the ankle weights..I'm also a walker, but I add minutes to the walk following some advice of an article that I read in walking magaziine...if your sister-in-law can't walk faster, can she walk longer? the longer the walk the more calories exoended!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    yeah, i would be adding weights to yourself.

and stop every 5 minutes and do 10 pushups or tricep dips or jumping jacks, or sprints (run and head, then run back to meet her)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You could run ahead and circle back for her. I've done that with a friend a few times. But I second the dumbells.
  • change_happens
    Options
    I go walking everyday with my sister-in-law. We are both trying to lose weight and be healthier. The problem is, the walk isn't challenging at all to me. We can't walk faster, because she can barely keep up and keep breath enough to talk at the speed we go now, which is leisurely for me. While I'm sure her heart rate gets pretty high, mine doesn't. I enjoy walking with her, and she is doing well with the motivation I give her, but I'd like to add some "umph" to my time spent walking.

So...If I do some jumping jacks or some sprints right before we go walking, will that boost in heart rate help me get more/burn more calories while walking?? If not, what could I do??

You should really try Leslie sansone.... She has a walk at home program that is low impact. http://www.walkathome.com/
    I love it because I get a total body workout and I sweat a good bit.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    They also make a weighted jacket of sorts that would prob work good for you. I would also maybe continue walking for another 30 min to get a real good workout going! Good luck!!!!
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    How long have you been walking with her? The only way walking will work is if you progress. Maybe you are progresing faster, so you should step it up a notch. I'm sure she will understand that you both can't have he same pace. I think it will make her want to work harder to catch up to you. I know when I was walking with a friend she was jogging and I was only walking and it made me want to work harder and now i'm jogging.

This is only our 2nd week doing this...I've been pushing her harder...adding distance and speeding up a little bit...We use this as our girl-talk time too, so I'm not expecting amazing things...but I do think I could use dumbbells to help out with the heart rate.
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    You could also try those ski pole type poles when you walk. They are supposed to give you a better workout because you pump your arms more. I just saw them at Walmart in the same aisle that has the dumb bells and other workout gear (if you have one near you).