wii fit...yay or nay?

Options
Our PS3's on the fritz so we dusted off the wii and started playing with it. Who knew you'd burn calories playing wii sports?? uh...me! lol

so now im curious about the wii fit. Is it worth buying? thoughts?

Replies

• lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Nay....I mean some of the other games you can buy like just dance or Zumba r way bette than the wii fit....I would work out for an hour and only burn off like 200 cals...
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I didn't get much out of Wii Fit, but I love the yoga workouts on Wii My Fitness Coach.
  • Sherri0706
    Options
    We have the Wii Fit Plus and the Active Personal Trainer, which I do enjoy, but for a bigger calorie burn, I have the Wii Gold's Gym Dance Workout.
  • mbeach1977
    mbeach1977 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would go the Just Dance or Zumba route over wii fit. There are a lot of other games as well that will give you a much better burn than the wii Fit.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I used Wii Fit when I first started working out just to get me moving and I loved it. You do have to push yourself if you want to get a good calorie burn out of it. I still use it, but now I use it more for tracking my weight and progress and doing jogs on the spot. I dropped 20 of my 29 lbs using Wii Fit and following MFP so that seems pretty worth it to me. I stopped using it every week only because I had lost enough weight to want to start focusing on toning up, and started doing a DVD workout for that.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I got Wii Fit Plus and love it. My aunt got it a while ago and added at least an hour of Wii Fit Plus to her daily routine along with changing her diet. For the longest time, that was the only 'exercise' that she did and she went from a 22/24 to a 16/18. She's added other stuff to her fitness routine now, but at the start the Wii was really all she did.

It's good for me, but one of those things that probably wouldn't be for everyone and I can see it having a much lesser impact as I become more fit. Like when my aunt first got it she struggled to do even 100 steps, but can now easily get in 600+. The main benefit I see is that it makes you really mindful of how you are standing and holding your weight.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE fan of the kinect....well worth the money, I bought it for the workout aspect alone, I don't even play video games.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Yay I love mine :) the hula hoop advance I can burn 200 cal in about 25 minutes the free run is great as well
    its a fun way to burn
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I only use the Wii Fit as a scale. Otherwise, it's useless to me. BUT, I guess it depends on your other activities and what you're doing to be active. If it's a choice between Wii Fit and Kinect to get your family moving - I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Kinect.
  • EliseLives
    EliseLives Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have the first Wii Fit but have not used it in a long time. If I remember correctly it does tell you how many calories you burn during game play. Things like boxing can be pretty tough. The others are yoga and building muscle which doesn't burn calories as much as strengthen. If you work out in your house often I'd say it's worth it. And the Wii Fit 2 is only 20 bones after you buy Wii Fit with the board.
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    Options
    Our PS3's on the fritz so we dusted off the wii and started playing with it. Who knew you'd burn calories playing wii sports?? uh...me! lol

so now im curious about the wii fit. Is it worth buying? thoughts?

I love mine.. but then I got ufc trainer for the wii and fell in love with it more and its alo cheaper and gave my mom my wii fit plus but I still use it sometimes
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    The Fit Plus disk tells you calorie burn (the original Fit disk does not). I like mine a lot, in part for the workouts I can do (free step and free run) while I watch TV, and in part for the yoga workouts. And I love it for tracking/weighing in.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Things I like about Wii Fit (and Wii Fit Plus)
    Fun games, doesn't feel so much like working out as having fun
    has a scale I can weigh myself with
    lets you set a goal for weight loss and tracks it for you
    can play with other players; good especially for those who are competetive

Things I don't like
    It will make your character "fat" and tell you you are overweight or obese (not very accurate either, my husband is a tall, big boned man and when he is a little (20 lbs or so) overweight it says he is obese)
    games only last a couple of minutes, so down time between when restarting

I also have "my fitness coach" and LOVE that, don't get "2" though because that one is awful
  • nani726
    nani726 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    thanks guys!

Im not a gamer either but i started playing tennis and i loved how much fun it was! i'll definitely check into zumba and just dance :) im a terrible dancer, i make carlton from the fresh prince look good! lol so this would be a good way to try zumba without the public embarrassment! lol
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I enjoy mine... but I really like the Wii EA Sports Active series (there's three available). Great variety of workouts at various intensities. And fun too!
  • fateschild
    fateschild Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I Have the wii fit and use it to play some fun exercise games and my teen loves to use it, so it is good for getting you moving. However, for a my real workout I use the Active 2 game. It is way more of a workout and with the motion sensors it is great for getting you to burn calories.
  • slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love mine - I have the WII Active and WII Active 2, gold cardio boxing and I just mix it up in between classes - variety is the spice of life -
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii Fit Plus...love it. Great way to start off and in three weeks time I've lost three pounds...not bad in-house exercise for someone who wasn't working out at all before. : )
  • PRbyLynn
    Options
    I have the Wii Fit Plus, we use it quite regularly. Its how I got my start. Depending on if you like to work alone or with someone. If you are more motivated with someone with you the its the not right thing for you. It help me lose weight and tone because I added ankle weights while doing the running or jogging. There is a variety of things you can do with it if you are willing to do them.