shin splints

Options
...they suck. I can feel it in my right leg, not so much the left.
What are ways to combat this before it gets horrible...I cant let anything stop me.

Replies

• jujulou
    jujulou Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi,
    I used to get this when I was doing step aerobics (many moons ago)! I was told the best way to relieve it is to get a tennis ball, put it under your foot and roll it around. It was caused by too much stress put on the tendons and these literally stick to the bone (yuck)!!
    I'm not sure if it ever goes away but saying that I don't suffer from them now. Can you do less intensity on your work out?
    Hope that helps a bit x
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do have flat feet and bought a decent insole arch support and new shoe last night but it didnt make much difference today.
    I can do lower intensity with the TF such as not jumping but then I feel crappy cause Im not getting all I want out of it but I guess I should since this can make me hurt so bad and quit... UGH!!!!!!!!!!
  • brittbergh
    Options
    I do have flat feet and bought a decent insole arch support and new shoe last night but it didnt make much difference today.
    I can do lower intensity with the TF such as not jumping but then I feel crappy cause Im not getting all I want out of it but I guess I should since this can make me hurt so bad and quit... UGH!!!!!!!!!!
  • jujulou
    jujulou Posts: 10
    Options
    I know, it hurts so bad!
    Try the ball thing. Could you maybe swap the jumping for some squats or lunges? I'm no expert but you'll still be working your legs loads without putting so much pressure on your tendons.
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You have to take time off until they're totally gone. Then I would go to a good shoe store where they will fit you properly for shoes that are meant for you. They should watch you run so they can tell what type of support you need. Once I got fitted for proper shoes I had no shin splint problems whatsoever. I'm 240lbs and a week away from a 5k.

As for dealing with the pain now, put water in dixie cups and freeze them. Then rub them up and down your shins. Also, shin splints are only from impact so you should be able to ride an exercise bike with no problems.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Go to that running store and get properly fitted and get new shoes!
  • carteremma
    carteremma Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi, I suffered really bad shin splints and have recnetly started running again with no problems. I got professional help. Because I had lots of conflicting information from online research I needed an answer (unlike muscle ache there is no way to push through!)

I had muscles stuck to my bone combined with my calfs muscles being too tight (they are like bricks!) and with some painful massage and rubbing ice up and down the front of my legs I can run again.

I hope this helps.
  • brittbergh
    Options
    Go to that running store and get properly fitted and get new shoes!

I'm going tonight I already called and set it up :-)
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    muscle stuck to the bone??wowza.