Needs help with working out at home.

Options
I am a house wife with no job and spend all day everyday at home. Not complaing i love it but I have some weight I need to get off and I don't know how. I don't have access to gyms, exercise equipment or dvds. I live in the south and its 100+ by 10 in the morning. What can I do to burn calories and get a good workout??

Replies

• blueberrypancakes
    Options
    There are SO many choices! Bodyrock.tv, pop pilates(youtube), sparkpeople workouts(youtube), diet.com(youtube), also you can order p90x, 30 day shred, INSANITY, Zumba dvds!!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Use ExerciseTV either online or free on-demand cable. Or get DVDs from your library.
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

*If you have Netflix, there is fitness via instant or DVDs you can get thru the mail.
    *I heard exercisetv is good.
    *Fitnessmagazine.com and Shapemag.com are great.
  • 3ricaAnn
    3ricaAnn Posts: 288
    Options
    I can not afford to buy dvds and do not have unlimited internet to stream online either.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Get up early and walk/run! You can lose weight without exercise. But calories will be very restrictive.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local library? Many carry exercise DVDs. Maybe not the latest and greatest - but it will get you started.

Will VHS work for you - the reason I ask - thrift stores have lots of video tapes (and a few DVDs).
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio in your living room. Walk/run in place, kicking and punching, jumping jacks, jump rope, high knees, butt kicks, mountain climbers on the floor and standing, pushups. You can do 30second intervals of each.

Whenever you're online, like checking MFP, log on to some websites, check out some moves, write them down and do them in your living room!

Also agree with Bigbear - wake up early and go outside!

Oh - if you have $10 extra bucks - invest in a good circuit dvd like 30DayShred (super popular on here). I think it'd be a worthy investment if you're unsure on exercising and getting started with it.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    1. Get out early in the morning to run
    2. Plyometrics
    3. Lift ..anything. Heavy books, small children, your neighbors dog

Good luck!
  • thenewtrisha
    Options
    STEP UPS! :D All you need is a good step...any step! Stepping up & down for about an hour vigorously burns a good 900 calories! Great for your legs & butt!
  • ddoolittle
    Options
    I do "at home boot camp" that I change up every day. The best part about this is you can do it anywhere, your home, yard, hotel room. I do 30 sec intervals of everything from running in place, jumping jacks, push ups, lunges, squats, planks etc... I do 4 1/2 min (9 different exercises), rest 30 sec and repeat up to 8 times. The key is to do as many reps as possible in 30 sec, move fast and work HARD!

Example:
    :30 Jumping Jacks
    :30 Right Leg Lunges
    :30 Left Leg Lunges
    :30 Push-ups
    :30 Squats
    :30 Burpees
    :30 Run in place, high knees
    :30 Mt. Climbers (push up position, alternate knee to chest like your running up a Mt.)
    :30 Lunge Jumps (alternate legs, jump from one leg lunge into the other)

Trust me, after two sets your heart will be pumping and you will be sweating, and only 10 min have gone by! Great Burn! To get ideas for exercises, look in magazines like Self or online to mix it up.
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm at home all day also - difficult situation! STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN!! Except for meals.
    I do a lot of crafts to keep hands busy - not going to mouth -
    Also invest in a stationary bike (ck used equip stores like Play It Again Sport-they have great deals).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I am a house wife with no job and spend all day everyday at home. Not complaing i love it but I have some weight I need to get off and I don't know how. I don't have access to gyms, exercise equipment or dvds. I live in the south and its 100+ by 10 in the morning. What can I do to burn calories and get a good workout??
    Hunt alligators? If you can afford it, look at TRX. Other than that there are many body weight exercises you can do at home, and walking or jogging for cardio always does fine for many. Just don't do it in that heat.