sunburn

Options
So I read an article about Vit D today on a WLS site I am part of. Well, it inspired me to get some sun, since I am on 50K-IU VIt D weekly....can we say I was low.

Anyway, the article said 10 minutes unblocked sun (you need the UV-B rays) for someone with my skin--daily. It also has to be between 10 and 2 since that is when the UV-B's are at the right angels to be able to absorb.

Anyway, like a fool I went out with a book. Yes, I stayed out 30 minutes instead of 10. . Now I am sitting here looking like a very odd hotdog with yellow mustard on my midsection. The vinager is the "remedy" but the mixture keeps it from sliding off. When it is completely dry you wash it off. Go figure.

Thought I would share something for you to all laugh at.

Replies

• SweGuy
    SweGuy Posts: 78
    Options
    Oh goodness gratious...

I dont think anyone is laughing at you, I´d say with you instead... I mean, once I fell asleep in a chair being at a spa and woke up looking like the Canadian flag... Midsection (because I had slept with my head tipping forward) was whiter than white and the rest.. as red as a cherry...
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    That's funny! I always brew up some regular black tea and put it into a bath with me. The tanic acid in tea does the same as vinegar to reduce the burn but it smells better. Plus, a luke warm to cool bath feels nice. But hey! Looking like a hotdog is awesome too! LOL! Thanks for sharing.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a terrible article. I always read "20 mins of moderate sun exposure" which is way different than laying out half naked in the middle of the day.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Being fair skinned I always have a bottle of Aloe Gel handy... It smells pretty good and cools the burn pretty fast. Hope you feel better!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    this article recommends 5-30 mins twice a week, between 10am and 3pm, depending on the cloud cover...

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind/
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    Being fair skinned I always have a bottle of Aloe Gel handy... It smells pretty good and cools the burn pretty fast. Hope you feel better!

Lots of the after-burn skin care also has lidocaine (OTC topical pain gel) in it...helps so much
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I personally used banana boat after sun lotion. . . It works much better than vinegar or aloe. . just used it on my daughter who got burn at youth camp. . .It takes the sting out of it and by the next day. . the burn is pretty much gone.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

In the fridge too! I have two bottles of aloe in my fridge ready to go when I need it (I try not to need it but it does happen on accident sometimes)
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Haha, I've had a sunburn on my butt from falling asleep naked in the sun. That was awful. Couldn't sit right for a week, I swear.

Gross when it started to peel too. Bletch.
  • KarenHarper71
    Options
    YOu should all count your blessings at being able to stay out for 10 mins....I have PMLE (polymorphic light erruption) The sun and I don't have a good relationship..It's a pain in the you know what
  • launawe
    launawe Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I understand. I took my walk yesterday without wearing sunscreen. I had on a hat, but was not in the mood to put on all that stuff. Of course, I paid the price. I've had the most luck with aloe vera. The spray aloe vera is nice if you can't stand to touch your skin.
  • launawe
    launawe Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I understand. I took my walk yesterday without wearing sunscreen. I had on a hat, but was not in the mood to put on all that stuff. Of course, I paid the price. I've had the most luck with aloe vera. The spray aloe vera is nice if you can't stand to touch your skin.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, another pasty fair person here. Aloe in the fridge for sure! The tea in a cool bath helps too.