Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Why am I gaining weight? 1200-1300 calories a day & 1.5 hour Exercise

Ebwash89
Ebwash89 Posts: 180 Member
edited April 2018 in Getting Started
I picked up my routine of working out again after a week and a half long break and a few pounds of weight gain. The first few days were great, the first day I dropped around 3lbs (184.5 to 181.3) the next day I was still on a roll and dropped 2 more lbs (181.3 to 179.3). After that I started noticing an increase and a slide back in the opposite direction. The day after I went back up a pound to 180.3. I ignored the scale and keep exercising, tracking my food and drinking plenty of water. This morning I gained yet another half of a pound. I've been working SUPER hard running for 20 or more minutes a day then following running up with strength/endurance classes for an hour. Why the hell is my weight creeping back up especially in such a short period of time? I drink plenty of water, push hard (sweating, panting, burning 700-800 calories, heart rate sky high) and I can't seem to get and stay under 180 lbs.

Could it be muscle soreness?
Could it be because I am expecting aunt flo this coming week?
Is it sodium?

Help I am frustrated. :'(:'(:(

Replies

• KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,321 Member
    I lost slowly 20 lbs eating under my BMR which I think is what you are doing then couldn't lose anymore. I tried eating less calories, upping my exercise, changing my exercise and couldn't lose. Then I started finding out about BMR, TDEE,etc. I took a 2 week break from eating at a deficit. I ate at my TDEE. I started to lose. After 2 weeks I started to eat at a moderate deficit between my estimated TDEE and BMR. I lost another 20 lbs. Unfortunately after that I started back to work more than full time and couldn't pay attention to this. Now I am trying to find the right balance again.
  • Blankcanvas89
    Blankcanvas89 Posts: 13 Member
    I just did my TDEE, says my number is 2400?! I should be eating that many calories a day?? If so, i'm waaay behind, lol...I was away from MFP for a while..trying to get back on the wagon. I just had a gastric balloon removed, I have lost 28lbs...now working with nutritionist for the next 6 month journey to get to goal of another 20lbs...I'm going to be 60 yrs old in July. I'm 5'9" and 197 cw....I don't really understand the tdee or macro/micro nutrients, lol...I upped my exercie over the past 6 months..I currently work out at Planet Fitness..I do at least 30 min of cardio (primarily the water rower which I just love!) in addition to a few strength exercises on various machines...I would think the weight would be falling off, but noooo...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Ebwash89 wrote: »
    I only weight myself first thing in the morning after peeing and pooping (which is when you should) so no fluctuations from eating or drinking are included.

Fluctuations from things you've eaten can show up the next day or a couple of days after - for instance, I ate a very salty meal yesterday, and my weight is up 1.5lbs this morning. There's no way I ate enough yesterday to gain that much actual weight, so it's a combination of food still working its way through my system and water retention from the sodium.

What you're seeing is perfectly normal fluctuations, so please try not to stress yourself about them. Read the "weight loss is not linear" thread that was linked to earlier, it's very helpful. :)

yep yesterday I was up 3 lbs from the night before. today I am down those 3 lbs