Help- Chondromalacia (knee probs) limiting cardio!!!

Options
I'm new on the message boards; usually I can get through most challenges that get in the way of exercise without having to shout out for help, but... HELP! I recently wore some high heels (don't very often due to back probs) and had to go up and down some really, really, steep Victorian-style staircases (at a B & B) and noticed that my knees were really doing the rice crispy (snap, crackle and pop)- loud enough that my husband said it made him nauseous!

I have had knee pain in the past from genetics, and because (in hindsight) found that my muscles are much stronger than my joints, have done too heavy of weight-training (can't do squats, leg extensions, etc. anymore unless it is REALLY low weight and very careful). Found out 20 years ago or so that my knee caps slide out when leg is bending instead of up and down, and am supposed to strengthen muscles around caps to help keep in place, instead of just doing heavy weights, but I LOVED weights and just didn't feel anything unless it was heavy- oops! Well, long story short, my lower back probs really limit weight use, so I am pretty much doing some very low resistance leg lifts and core exercises, and treadmill for cardio and leg strength.

It has been a week and half, and even on low elevation on the treadmill, I find that I am having to ice my knee and take advil because I am so stiff and my knee wants to give out or lock up after a sit for too long. I took a day or 2 off, felt better, then on a very low elevation and speed, it still hurt afterward. I went down about 15 regular stairs, could feel it. Just doing a light squat and bending down to look on a low shelf hurts.

I am 40, with a fairly slow metabolism so pretty much have to burn at least 270 calories a day if I want to eat anything extra besides rabbit food. I am definitely one of those people who need to exercise in order to eat!!!

Soooo- any suggestions on how to do cardio that won't aggravate knee as much and give this flare up a chance to heal? (I don't have access to a gym, so I exercise at home). Drug-free ways to speed up metabolism if I have to take some time off to heal? (I'm verrrry skeptical of most pills and herbs and such that are supposed to speed things up, but I am open to hearing ideas!)

I am finding it much harder as I age to lose and keep the pounds off, and I realize that with joint issues, it won't get better, but dang, I do not want to have to only eat 1400-1500 calories a day for the rest of my life to keep the weight off because I can't do any cardio!!!

Any ideas?

Replies

• birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    See your doctor...I "popped" my knee last year...Turns out I snapped my ACL clean in half...
  • birdlover97111
    Options
    Also, do the elliptical...It's safe even with a torn ACL because of no impact...
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have chondromalacia too! I'm an avid-runner (usually 30-40 mi/week during summer) and was training for a half-marathon last month, when BAM, I woke up one morning with terrible knee pain. Here I am, two weeks later, barely able to walk up the stairs for work in the morning. I usually bike to and from work, so I'm not healing as quickly as I'd hoped. :/

Take the stress off your knees if you can! I've been doing yoga, pilates, and swimming in the meantime, and try to do daily knee exercises in the morning/evening to keep those muscles strong.

I'm really interested in everyone's opinions on this as well!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Look into CW-X running pants. My boyfriends says they are worth EVERY penny. On particularly bad days he wears them under his slacks for work. Otherwise, he wears them for any exercise. They are super supportive for the knee without a brace.
  • caliredwoods
    Options
    Luckily, was not an actual pop. No traumatic injury- I'm sure it was acute pain caused from misuse on an existing chronic weak area. As my husband put it, is sounded like someone twisting a joint in chicken bone leg, so that it makes a nice gristly grinding sound.

I may go to a doc if it does not heal soon, but that still does not solve how I get to burn those calories!
  • caliredwoods
    Options
    We do have some knee braces- anyone familiar with using them while walking? Help, or just a false sense of security?
  • alz139
    alz139 Posts: 36
    Options
    Hey I've had years of knee problems. I was born with knee caps that dont fit in the joint and as a result dislocate...anyways the best advice I can give you is see a doctor and if your in the uk get yourself referred to a physio. I have had hydrotherapy on my knee when its been very bad and it really helps, not immediate but after a few sessions. The other thing is try a bike rather than elliptical or treadmill. If that's notan option try going to your local pool....walking in the water and gentle swimming works because you can work the joint and muscles without them having to bear any weight.

Do you know which muscles around the knee need to be worked...is one side stronger or weaker? that really wil determine what you can and cant do exercise wise.
  • alz139
    alz139 Posts: 36
    Options
    We do have some knee braces- anyone familiar with using them while walking? Help, or just a false sense of security?

I have used them. It all really depends on the problem. I have always found them to help. But its not advisable to wear them long term as they support/stabilise the knee causing the muscles to 'not bother'.

Knee braces can definitely help, make sure it fits well and is comfortable and not too tight though!
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I've got bad knees too.

What about swimming? Even if it's just using a kickboard and doing laps that way, or putting the buoy thingy between your ankles and use your arms. I like to swim in the winter time, weird I know! If you're kicking correctly (I taught swimming to many little people) you're not flexing your knee really all that much so you're using the major muscles of your legs. I used to call it "ballerina legs" when I taught, because you keep your foot pointed and leg as straight as possible (there will & should be a slight flex at the knee). You will flex more if you do the dolphin kick, or the breast stroke kick, so keep those two things in mind.

Or if you can't/don't want to swim, how about water aerobics? That's fun and it's a great work out! And you're in water so even if you are sweating you don't know it! Water aerobics is really great on your knees too.
  • caliredwoods
    Options
    I have not done the brace thing too much because of that risk. I used to work at a lumber store (cashier) and remember some of the younger guys in the lumberyard who wore their back stabilization braces all shift, even when they were not moving lumber, and the "veteran" lumberyard guys telling them to loosen them up when they didn't need them so there backs would not get weak. But during times of recovering from an injury. I don't think that short-term it will hurt. I'll give it a try today and see how it feels.
  • caliredwoods
    Options
    I live in the boondocks- 15-20 minutes each way to the nearest pool (not a fitness club either, just community pools) that are not open year round, and FULL of kids and lessons when they are open!!! So unfortunately, that is not a convenient or a viable option for me to do 5-6 times a week.

I have considered an elliptical, but does anyone know of a reasonably priced one to buy? I know the fitness club grade machines are BUCKS! Even used. I don't want to just buy a piece of junk that will die because of frequent use, or the maintenance makes the cheap price a wash. Reviews and model #'s anyone???
  • birdlover97111
    Options
    I live in the boondocks- 15-20 minutes each way to the nearest pool (not a fitness club either, just community pools) that are not open year round, and FULL of kids and lessons when they are open!!! So unfortunately, that is not a convenient or a viable option for me to do 5-6 times a week.

I have considered an elliptical, but does anyone know of a reasonably priced one to buy? I know the fitness club grade machines are BUCKS! Even used. I don't want to just buy a piece of junk that will die because of frequent use, or the maintenance makes the cheap price a wash. Reviews and model #'s anyone???

Look on Craigslist....That is where I found my elliptical...Ironman Ascender with 7" flat screen, hardly used for $350.00....
  • caliredwoods
    Options
    Well, I can't tell if the brace worked because it supported my knee joint or just because it kind of forced me to walk more stiff-legged! But, I did not seem to be as sore afterward (although the lack of circulation from it squeezing can't be good, either!)

Still stiff from sitting too long. That is a hard one to have to remember, as my knee does not hurt until after I stand up and put weight on it! Anyone have any suggestions on ways to remember to get up and move around when engrossed in book, computer, work, etc.? I understand that for those that sit for long periods of time, such as office workers, getting up and moving around is good for the body all around, but I get so focused that the world could be caving in around me and I would not notice!
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    l....walking in the water and gentle swimming works because you can work the joint and muscles without them having to bear any weight.

^^^ This. Best rehab EVER after I had both knees replaced in June 2003. You can get your heart pumping pretty good, too, depending on how fast you walk; water resists speed (but I bet you already know that). :)

Go, you!