excessive pills...

Options
monocot
monocot Posts: 475 Member
Every day I take these pills, I never feel any different. Are they actually helping me in any form or way. I only eat about 800 Calories in a day... And Yes I know. Starvation Mode stuff. This is Doctor recommended diet so please no starvation mode stuff
In theory the Multi pills are to make up for my lack of nutrition since I'm only taking in 800 calories. I do have Low Iron, So the iron pill so have a purpose..
Jamieson - Super Vita-Vim Multivitamin,
Solgar - Vitamin B12 1000mcg,
Rexall - Ferrous Gluconate (Iron)
Jamieson - Vitamin D Chocolate
Nature Way - Kelp Capsules
Jamieson - Chewable Vita-Vim
Tums - Antacid/Calcium Supplement - Smoothies Extra Strength 750 - Berry Fusion,
Meijer - Natural Fiber Plus Calcium Capsule,-4
Origin - Green Tea Extract-3

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating 800 calories a day? That's a lot of suppliments for nutrients you can probably get from fresh food sources.
  • jdoggie
    jdoggie Posts: 42
    Options
    I think you should switch doctors....
  • jdoggie
    jdoggie Posts: 42
    Options
  • seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    I agree with the above poster......i think you should switch doctors. 800 calories a day makes ZERO sense...
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to tell you that you need more calories and that you should get your nutrients from whole foods - so other than that, is there a question that I am missing?

Unless your question is "do you think I should get a second opinion about this program from another doctor?" Then my answer would be "Yes".
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that Tums are not good to take. They actually do more harm than good. If you need an ant-acid, try a more natural approach. Your body is lacking the enzymes to break down food. You can buy enzymes at a health food store.
    The green tea helps with boosting your metabolism and upping your energy levels. The kelp is good for your digestive system.
    What do you actually eat? Are you exercising?
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    If you take the calcium and iron at the same time, they bind together and neither ones absorbs into your system. There needs to be a two-hour window between those.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I agree with switching doc's or at least getting a second opinion. Just because someone is a Dr, does not mean they are right. There is a reason it is called "practicing medicine"
    Good Luck on your journey.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Did you know medical doctors spend all that time in school and only one one or two courses pertaining to health and wellness and proper nutrition?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Doctors are just like the internet you know. If they say it, it must be true.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Every day I take these pills, I never feel any different. Are they actually helping me in any form or way. I only eat about 800 Calories in a day... And Yes I know. Starvation Mode stuff. This is Doctor recommended diet so please no starvation mode stuff
    In theory the Multi pills are to make up for my lack of nutrition since I'm only taking in 800 calories. I do have Low Iron, So the iron pill so have a purpose..
    Tums - Antacid/Calcium Supplement - Smoothies Extra Strength 750 - Berry Fusion,
    Okay not to be mean, but the doctor is a quack. If you aren't getting these through food, then you are just supplementing. And supplements aren't FDA regulated. So for all you know, you could be paying good money for some fillers.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that if you are posting this question here, (to a bunch of strangers with no qualifications) then you MUST already think something is up. Maybe it's time for a real second opinion. You know, like from someone with a degree and stuff.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I agree with switching doc's or at least getting a second opinion. Just because someone is a Dr, does not mean they are right. There is a reason it is called "practicing medicine"
    Good Luck on your journey.
    Chiropractors are doctors and most know squat about nutrition.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I can understand the 800 calories at the initial phase of a weight loss plan, especially if you have a lot to lose, you will need to start uping the caloric intake soon and I fully expect your Dr. will work with you on that. If not, switch Drs. The goal should be to get you to eat a healthy amount of food/nutrients everyday the rest of your life. I take supplements, mostly for medical issues and just a regular multivitamin because I can't be trusted to eat healthy every day ;-). check out some of the folks diaries and see what they are doing, including exercise. Good luck.
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    No diet on 800 calories a day is healthy. Any "doctor" who bis telling you this does not have your best interest in mind.

Eating balanced thoughtful meals each day that include, fruit vegetables, proteins and complex carbohydrates will not only help you to feel good, and look good, but will save you HUNDREDS over dollars you must be spending on "supplements".
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I think you should go to a nutritionist instead. To be honest, doctors don't get much education in nutrition.

There is no research out there to show us the supplements prevent disease or by themselves make us healthier. In general people who take supplements are "healthier", but we have found that it is not because of the supplements themselves, but because they generally eat better and live more active lifestyles.

You're better off getting your nutrients from food, because whole foods contain nutrients that we either know about but don’t exactly know what health benefits they have yet, or they have nutrients we just don’t know about yet at all.

What we do know from research is that people who eat a whole-foods plant-based diet are healthier and do have lower rates of disease. I’d go with this one.

Michael Pollan says it best: “Eat like you are a person who takes supplements, but do not take supplements”.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor. Have said new doctor recommend a dietician as well.
  • Amber824
    Amber824 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

OK...Iron is one thing, but why are you taking an antacid on a daily basis? If it's for indigestion, you definitely need a second opinion and you should change the foods you are eating because they are really not agreeing with you! If you have a good multivitamin, you can get the calcium, vitamin d, and b12 all in one. If you take too much of certain vitamins, it can do more harm than good.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    i am taking the tum for the calcium.
    I had weight loss surgery. hence I can only consume 800 Calories, Though my doctor a dumb *kitten* and usually googles everything I say. The doctor who did my surgery told me to only eat 800. I don't usually mention the surgery because alot of people are against surgery, and lecture me on it which i dont need.
    I dont eat enough Veggies to get enough stuff from them. I eat High Protein meals. meals are around Morning egg whites, a bit of fish and a small half a oz of cheese.a snack is a high protein low 100 Calorie shake. Lunch is a chicken breast with 1/4 cup lettuce and 1 slice tomato. and supper is usually more chicken and some soya beans,.
    unless IM having a bad day then its breads and other random stuff.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    i am taking the tum for the calcium.
    I had weight loss surgery. hence I can only consume 800 Calories, Though my doctor a dumb *kitten* and usually googles everything I say. The doctor who did my surgery told me to only eat 800. I don't usually mention the surgery because alot of people are against surgery, and lecture me on it which i dont need.
    I dont eat enough Veggies to get enough stuff from them. I eat High Protein meals. meals are around Morning egg whites, a bit of fish and a small half a oz of cheese.a snack is a high protein low 100 Calorie shake. Lunch is a chicken breast with 1/4 cup lettuce and 1 slice tomato. and supper is usually more chicken and some soya beans,.
    unless IM having a bad day then its breads and other random stuff.

Well then, you might need the supplements. If it were me, I would also see a nutritionist and get another opinion though.