Grams of sugar?

Options
Nightgrl1980
Nightgrl1980 Posts: 14 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Just curious to see how much total sugar people are generally eating daily? I have been trying to cut back to around 50g/day but struggling with it- even when steering clear of any processed foods or foods with known refined sugar but am still going over. Wondering if this goal might be too low?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have never tracked sugar so I have no idea. Any reason why (apart from curiosity) you're tracking it?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I don't track it. Unless you have a medical reason to watch your sugar intake, you're fine.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to cut back my sugar recently, thinking it might help with a couple of health problems I'm dealing with. I do track it, and I've found that it's actually not as hard as you think. However, I'm not a big fan of fruit, so... If you have a sweet tooth (like me), sugar substitutes help. But xylitol is really rough on my digestive system, so I stopped using it, which is a shame, because that's what most manufacturers use to replace sugar. One of my friends recommended Swerve, which I researched and found was just overpriced stevia. So, I'm learning to bake with stevia. It's pretty good.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I don't track it per se, but I pulled it up the past week on "reports" and found that I was at or just under 50g/day for 6 days, and 1 day I apparently had 90g sugar - that was the day I had take-out pizza. My calorie intake/day ranges from 1350-1700 (pizza night! :D) calories. If you are eating more calories than that, it stands to reason that you would have more g of sugar. Except for that pizza, everything else was home-cooked from recognizable food ingredients. The higher carb foods included stuff like bananas, sweet potatoes, whole grain sides. I don't have any medical reasons to be concerned about sugars that occur in food naturally, and just don't eat much stuff with added sugar just due to my food preferences.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    megpie41 wrote: »
    I personally like to limit/reduce my sugar intake. Yes, sugar is sugar, but I really only am concerned with added sugar. Bananas, apples etc are pretty high in sugar, but you get nutrients with it. I'd try and keep your added sugar to less than 50g (I think that's what is recommended).

The recommendations assume that the general person doesn't count their calories. So if you don't count calories but keep your added sugar under 50g then there is a higher chance that you will not eat too many calories.
    That's all there is to it.

So what exactly do you disagree with in my post?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I personally like to limit/reduce my sugar intake. Yes, sugar is sugar, but I really only am concerned with added sugar. Bananas, apples etc are pretty high in sugar, but you get nutrients with it. I'd try and keep your added sugar to less than 50g (I think that's what is recommended).

The recommendations assume that the general person doesn't count their calories. So if you don't count calories but keep your added sugar under 50g then there is a higher chance that you will not eat too many calories.

Since we are on a calorie counting site I assumed OP is counting calories. You advised them to keep their added sugar to below 50g. I disagreed with this advice and explained why.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My total sugar is widely varying mostly depending on how much fruit I eat. Since most of what I eat is from whole foods and I know I eat a calorie-appropriate and nutrient dense diet and moderate sweet treats, I don't care how much total sugar I eat.

If I was concerned I might be eating too much added sugar I was unaware of or too high a percentage of my calories from low nutrient foods I'd look at my overall day and consider total added sugar as part (but not the only part!) of that consideration, but I already know I get very little added sugar from unexpected sources and I don't eat a lot of sweets (occasional dessert, like after Easter dinner today!).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat very little food with added sugar so I don't pay attention to it - I get quite a bit, but it's from vegies, fruit, dairy... Not things I need to worry about imo. I will have the odd day with high sugar, but in the context of my long term diet I don't think it's an issue.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't really bother. I focus on getting most of my calories from whole foods, which includes plenty of fruit. So I believe my total sugar tends to be 125 to 150g. I have perfect blood work, have kept off 50 lbs for 6 years, and I am active. Sugar really isn't the enemy unless it's crowding other nutrients and preventing weight loss... which is no different than fat and to a lesser extent protein (mainly because it's extremely taxing and difficult to convert protein into energy).
  • megpie41
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I believe that the input she offered comes from the perspective that the added sugar restrictions in various health recommendations has traditionally been implemented in response to concerns about dental health and about what happens when people who don't count calories overeat highly palatable foods.

Since she assumes that people on MFP brush their teeth and count their calories she feels that the restriction doesn't confer any concrete benefits.

Furthermore MFP tracks total sugar, not added sugar, making it extremely difficult to track.

People affected by insulin resistance / PCOS / etc might still want to place limits appropriate to their individual circumstances.

#justtranslating
    #icouldbewrong

Thank you for taking the time to try and explain it future. I appreciate it.
  • megpie41
    Options

Since we are on a calorie counting site I assumed OP is counting calories. You advised them to keep their added sugar to below 50g. I disagreed with this advice and explained why.

I was actually wrong in my original post. It is recommended to keep added sugar below 25g or 100 calories daily (for women). I agree with you that the purpose is to stay under your calorie budget. So if the OP wants to limit added sugar to help with calories (since they are empty), what's the problem with wanting to track and limit how much you eat? I find it to be a healthy habit. If I drank a soda a day I could eliminate that and for the same calories have a small sandwich which would provide more nutrients and more filing. That's just the way I look at it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    OP said NOTHING about whether she should limit added sugar, but asked about TOTAL sugar. She said she already limits processed stuff (which might have unexpected sugar, I suppose) or stuff with refined sugar, and no one objected to that. (I also see no reason to assume she's drinking sugary soda.)

Personally, I don't get why she's being told to limit added sugar, given what she said (that she already doesn't consume much of it). Her concern seems to be that MFP tracks TOTAL sugar and she's wondering if she's too high (and the answer is probably not, the total sugar counter on MFP is irrelevant for most people -- and this is what most people said).

The added sugar recommendation is under 10% (US Dietary Guidelines), which is often shorthanded as about 50 g if you eat 2000 cal, or under 10% (but better to keep it under 5%) (WHO), which is often shorthanded as 25 g for the lower recommendation -- but the reasons for the recommendation explained above are correct.

None of this seems applicable to OP.

My advice for OP would be to make sure she's not hungry, is getting enough protein and essential fats (basically sources of healthy fats, especially omega 3s), and plenty of fiber. Beyond that, sugar doesn't matter, although I personally review my diary for total sugar occasionally out of curiosity and to make sure there are no surprises (no more from added sugar -- based on my knowledge of what foods have it -- than expected).

I don't get telling someone who doesn't eat a lot of added sugar that it should be limited; not everyone consumes lots of added sugar or doesn't automatically limit it without focusing on sugar just because it's usually high cal/low nutrient, and OP seems like someone who already decided to limit the foods that have lots of added sugar (as many of us who don't worry about total sugar or sugar grams do).
  • megpie41
    Options
    I obviously misread what the OP was saying about total vs added sugar and gave my 2 cents. I never said the OP was drinking soda, I just was making an example to help illustrate my point.
  • Nightgrl1980
    Nightgrl1980 Posts: 14 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone! I had borderline lab work come back which is why I’m trying to limit my sugar intake.

As someone with a normal body weight who frequently exercises (5-6 days/wk) and had what I thought was a generally ok diet, I figure that the next step would be to try to make some modifications to my sugar intake, and wasn’t sure what a realistic goal for that would be.