Diabetic and need some one to talk to and support me

Options
Hello I am 65 and have gained so much weight and not my A1C if 7 % SO I am taking pills and checking my blood I dont like doing this But need to so I can live longer. I am starting classes next week for four weeks at for four hours a week I know this will help me understand diabets and how to get control Is any one else dealing with this . My husband is not well and it makes it difficult to make meal that I like, he need carbs in his diet I dont. By the grace of GOD I am going to do this I never want to take shots of insulin. Is is hard when you dont have support at home. Glad I found this site and hope to make some friends along the way.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hi, there! I was diabetic for over a decade, never needed insulin. I was able to control my blood sugar with a good regular diet and Metformin. My diabetes was put in remission from significant weight loss. I'll give you my best newbie tips and then I'll give you some ideas for meal planning in a mixed household.

1. Eating on a schedule is almost as important as what you are eating and how much. Have breakfast at the same time of day every day. Test your blood sugar just before breakfast and two hours afterwards. Have a snack then based your blood sugar numbers, have lunch at the same time every day, lunch snack, and dinner. This routine will come in handy later.
    2. The create your plate diagram from the ADA was most helpful in visualizing what a good meal will look like. http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/ There will be a mix of macros at every meal. This helps you get a steady stream of glucose as each macro is absorbed at a different rate by the bloodstream. Carbs and whey protein are absorbed fastest, proteins are next, and fats take the longest. I found that including an egg at breakfast helped me keep my blood sugars stable all day. You can test to see if this is true for you as well.
    3. Portion control will help bring your weight down. MFP suggests weighing your food so you get a really good idea what a "normal" portion is. Pasta and cereal typically are far less than people imagine.

Now, for meal planning, I typically plan my meal around my chosen protein for the day. I have a veggie and I have a side. All you have to do for your hubby is give him more of the side dish than you do. Yours will be carefully portioned. He can also have milk with his meal for extra nutrition whereas you might choose black tea or water. One meal, two nutritional profiles.
  • rita_bingaman
    rita_bingaman Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing, I start classes this week, cant wait I order a plate from Diab Association that looks like the plate from that meal plan it will help with with portion control and now to choose what goes on my plate. So far my sugar has been under 200 just from me posting on here what I eat and getting rid of snacks in my house. TO day Easter an hour after dinner my sugar was 270 which is the hightest is had been in a week. So more no carbs at all today. I know I am going to give this my best effort, it is scarey
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Test your blood sugar two hours after you eat.

Everyone’s blood sugar rises after eating. It’s the baseline morning and the test two hours after eating that really matters.

I like to see your motivation.