keto diet

Options
Dr has put me on the Keto diet for weight loss for my heart. any help or hints very welcome

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Did the doctor refer you to a registered dietician?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You lose weight through a calorie deficit (eating less (and moving more, but basically eating less).) I find it strange that a doctor recommends a specific diet (did he/she give a reason?) without any specifics.
  • rainybblady
    rainybblady Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am starting Keto as well! Have you heard of "The Diet Doctor?" His website is amazing for low carb/Keto! Check it out. LOTS of information and amazing recipes.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    a keto diet wont result in weight loss, unless it puts you into a deficit of calories.
  • DaniGirlHume
    DaniGirlHume Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying the ketogenic lifestyle and really enjoying it thus far.

You can find keto calculators online to figure out your macros based upon your goals.

Pinterest has an abundance of awesome recipes. Also great books out there.

Good luck.
  • tamber79
    tamber79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic is an amazing diet. Love it and love the food. Try the app CARB MANGER. It's easy to find keto food on it. Diet Doctor is a great website with lots of information. The movie THE MAGIC PILL is another place to start. Carb counting is much easier for me than calorie counting. I make the majority of my food from scratch and I have to add all my recipes into an app which takes for ever on a smart phone. I also never make recipes the same way every time. Gets complicated. I use mostly no carb foods for a meal and only have to count the carbs in the vegetables . I started a loose leaf notebook with all my printed out recipes from diet doctor and other sites.

• langel89
    langel89 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm starting keto tomorrow to try along with Intermittent fasting. I have done IF before for a few weeks... at first a little trickier, but then I honestly felt better and it was so much easier to stay within calories/healthy eating.
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    langel89 wrote: »
    I'm starting keto tomorrow to try along with Intermittent fasting. I have done IF before for a few weeks... at first a little trickier, but then I honestly felt better and it was so much easier to stay within calories/healthy eating.

I did keto for awhile and when paired with IF, it is very easy to stay in a caloric deficit and eat to satiety
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    _Figgzie_ wrote: »
    langel89 wrote: »

I did keto for awhile and when paired with IF, it is very easy to stay in a caloric deficit and eat to satiety

Just make sure you do HIIT with it also.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    tamber79 wrote: »
    Ketogenic is an amazing diet. Love it and love the food. Try the app CARB MANGER. It's easy to find keto food on it. Diet Doctor is a great website with lots of information. The movie THE MAGIC PILL is another place to start. Carb counting is much easier for me than calorie counting. I make the majority of my food from scratch and I have to add all my recipes into an app which takes for ever on a smart phone. I also never make recipes the same way every time. Gets complicated. I use mostly no carb foods for a meal and only have to count the carbs in the vegetables . I started a loose leaf notebook with all my printed out recipes from diet doctor and other sites.

How do you know you're in a deficit (the only way to lose weight) unless you track calories? I'd rather track everything and know I was doing what was necessary to meet my goals rather than just "wing it" and hope for the best.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group. It's one of the largest and most active groups in MFP and where many Ketophiles tend to hang out:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group