Favorite Fitness Watch/Device & WHY?!

Options
coffeeQ2hrs
coffeeQ2hrs Posts: 52 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I’ve had 2 Fitbits and though I enjoyed the digital platform the watches both broke in a year or less. I’d like to get a new one but I’m open to different brands/types. What’s your favorite and why?

Replies

• chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I am a Fitbit fanatic, however I do not use the wrist ones. ( Husband does however and likes his) I prefer the zip or the one ( they do not sell this on their site however it still syncs)..I prefer these two as I do not feel a wrist one is accurate if you are interested in your daily steps. Total personal opinion as I have never tested others. The one and the zip are totally accurate for steps - have tested both several times.
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    KaleiAlanaSmith Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Charge HR. it's amazing. I've had it for 2 years now and it's never let me down and is accurate for me. I'm about to get the Charge HR 2 to upgrade. My mom has it and she loves it even more than the original Charge HR.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Really depends on preference and goals.
    I prefer Garmin watches myself.

For "serious" fitness activities Polar and Suunto higher end watches are good too. For simpler activity tracking a Fitbit, Garmin or Polar trackers are always a safe bet.

For iPhone users an Apple Watch is decent middle ground with unbeatable "smartness" and decent fitness features, but limited battery life.

For Android users who want something "smarter" and more feature rich option, Samsung Gear watches and bands are fine, but not as good fitness wise as other brands mentioned above.

For those on really tight budget something like Xiaomi Mi Babd 2 or Huawei Band 2 are perfectly fine, but you won't get simple syncing with MFP (which I find incredibly weird).

Just avoid noname Chinese brands and their locally rebranded versions.
  • slw37
    slw37 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm a Fitbit fan, and waiting on the release of the Versa in a couple of weeks to replace my Charge 2. :p I also own an Apple watch but the short battery life on that thing means it's on the charger when I need it. Wish I had that $$ back.
  • Meelisv
    edited March 2018
    Options
    slw37 wrote: »
    ...waiting on the release of the Versa in a couple of weeks to replace my Charge 2...
    May I ask why?
    I'm genuinely interested of the reason :blush:

• slw37
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »
    ...waiting on the release of the Versa in a couple of weeks to replace my Charge 2...
    May I ask why?

Because the Versa can be worn while swimming and my Charge 2 cannot. I'm a swimmer in the summertime. (Plus the Versa has other neat new features so why not?) Hope that helps.
  • Meelisv
    Options
    May I ask why?

Because the Versa can be worn while swimming and my Charge 2 cannot. I'm a swimmer in the summertime. (Plus the Versa has other neat new features so why not?) Hope that helps.

Swimming is a good point, I didn't think of that.
    Other "neat new features" like customizeable watch faces, Fitbit Pay and music storage might be enough reason for some too. While Charge 2 looks better, specially on a woman's wrist (matter of preference of course).

I asked, because I had a discussion about versa with a friend yesterday and I couldn't find good enough reasons to justify Versa over Charge 2 or Alta HR.
  • slw37
    Options
    May I ask why?

Other "neat new features" like customizeable watch faces, Fitbit Pay and music storage might be enough reason for some too. While Charge 2 looks better, specially on a woman's wrist (matter of preference of course).

I asked, because I had a discussion about versa with a friend yesterday and I couldn't find good enough reasons to justify Versa over Charge 2 or Alta HR.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Charge 2. It has been a great tracker for my needs, so I hope the Versa will work as well. I have wanted a swim tracker for a while so I was happy to see this feature in a somewhat reasonably priced device.
  • Meelisv
    Options
    May I ask why?

Don't get me wrong, I love my Charge 2. It has been a great tracker for my needs, so I hope the Versa will work as well. I have wanted a swim tracker for a while so I was happy to see this feature in a somewhat reasonably priced device.

I'm sure it will work fine, well not worse than Charge 2 for sure. Decent swimming tracking is still quite rare in this price range so this is a strong point for Versa. I don't swim myself, so I didn't consider that as I should have.

I would love to have decent offline music storage for running during summer, but without GPS that feature would be pointless for me. :smile:
    Samsung devices have offline Spotify support which is really cool, but their fitness features are still considerably worse than those that Fitbit, Garmin or Polar have.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Garmin fan here.

On a budget, I'd get the VivoActive 3. If price wasn't an issue, the 935, Forerunner 645, or Fenix 5/5X, according to one's wants/needs (I have the 935, switched over after a year with an Apple Watch).
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Love my Charge 2. Had it almost 2 years now. Currently saving up my airmiles for the Ionic for my partner. He'll be giving me his Blaze then.
    Charge 2 is very accurate and reliable for me. But I like the way the Blaze handles exercise a little better (running mainly).
  • abhinavsood89
    abhinavsood89 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Very useful thread! I am also looking for fitness trackers/watches and torn between Garmin Vivoactive HR and Vivoactive 3.
  • domgirl
    domgirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the gear sport and i love it. I do also have fitbit hr and hr 2 but the gear is now my goto watch.
  • kathleenneriducharme
    kathleenneriducharme Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like my Garmin Forerunner 35. It's big so I don't need my reading glasses to see it. And I never have my glasses with my when I run.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My jawbone broke and is no longer supported by MFP so I bought the garmin vivosmart hr (bought vivoactive hr too but it is huge) and the Fitbit charge 2, I am wearing both right now to compare. They're actually pretty close with tracking everything. I like the touchscreen on the garmin much better than the tapping on the Fitbit. I am preordering the Fitbit versa today as I like that it's waterproof, looks more like watch, and has a touch screen as opposed to tapping the charge hr. It looks like what I've been looking for and I can get it pre ordered at 20% off, so $160, which is not too bad and only $40 more than I paid for the charge 2.

@Meelisv I am curious why you think the charge 2 would look better on a woman's wrist? I thought the opposite, that the versa will look better because it comes in silver and rose gold and looks more like a watch than just a band.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,606 Member
    Options
    I am a garmin vivofit hr + fan can swim in it do whatever only concern is that it is bit chunky
  • govenderd1
    govenderd1 Posts: 30 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Polar v800. High accuracy. If you serious about recording, get a Polar. In my experience, no other device compares in accuracy and consistency.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I have the 42mm Apple Watch 3 with Cellular. Because of the larger battery I’m able to go 3 days on a charge. I don’t bother tracking things like miles or steps. I mostly use it to track my HR during my high intensity workouts. I keep all my music in the watch so I can go out and do activities without bringing my phone along.
  • PeteTheGamer2910mfp
    PeteTheGamer2910mfp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Was bought a Fitbit Blaze for my birthday last year and love it. Looks like a watch, tracks everything i want, has a very long battery life, syncs to MFP easily and the community is great