Too much water?

Options
I know this sounds strange, but I started MFP on monday and really enjoying it so far. I have already lost a pound in 3 days.
I have only drank water as far as liquids go - and I feel I am maybe drinking too much?

I am having to pee every half hour or so - and I know water is healthy, but it is starting to take over.

Is there such thing as too much? What will too much water do to you?

Replies

• MrsBlackman
    Options
    I know this sounds strange, but I started MFP on monday and really enjoying it so far. I have already lost a pound in 3 days.
    I have only drank water as far as liquids go - and I feel I am maybe drinking too much?

I am having to pee every half hour or so - and I know water is healthy, but it is starting to take over.

Google water intoxication - there is such a thing as too much! Although it is rare, I personally do not drink more than 3 litres a day! Hope that helps!
  • change_happens
    Options

Everyone has their opinions on how much water to drink. I have read that you should drink 1/2 of your body weight (in ounces) of water. Say you are 150lbs, you should consume 75 ounces of water.
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You have to drink A LOT of water to be drinking too much (to reach water intoxication levels). My rule of thumb is half my body weight in ounces per day. I weigh 230ish, so I aim for 115 ounces or 14 glasses per day. When I workout I end up around 16 glasses.

I've been doing it this way for about 5 years and I'm not dead yet. Just more active since I have to run up and down the stairs to the bathroom more often. (I like to look at it as getting paid to pee while I'm at work).

:)
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    granted there is such a thing as water intoxication, while it is rare it also is deadly. that being said for normal daily activities it is suggested that people drink 8 cups a day. now if your exercising you need to replenish that water you are sweating out. i drink at least 12-14 glasses per day. hope this helps you :)
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    you'll just pee it out.......
  • Julianacaceres
    Options
    I think that too much water can be harmful, for example, i went from drinking hardly any water a week to one day i drank about 20 cups and seriously it had like a lets say "Highly laxative" effect, and not in a gentle cleansing way either...
    I now drink about 8 and 12 if im exercising.
    About urinating so frequently its normal, while your body adjusts itself to the higher intake of water, you will get used to it eventually. I had to go every 15 mins!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    In the beginning you do go alot. Your body is flushing the system. It does settle down, just be patient!
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to drink enough to stay hydrated... it is different for everyone. Basically, drink enough water to keep your pee a very pale yellow or clear in color all day... you don't need to force gallons and gallons of water into your system to do that. But yes, 1/2 your body weight in ounces is a good rule of thumb. And if your pee is very yellow or orange-y in color, you are definitely dehydrated.
  • kate440
    kate440 Posts: 4
    Options
    I am doing very litte exersize at the moment - but I am forcing myself to drink water to simply get myself used to it all. I also am a very dry person, when I do exercise there is little to no sweat.

I'm not too worried about over indulging myself per se, I was wondering how much everyone drank.

People are starting to get annoyed at me cause I need to keep popping to the loo :$
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    yes you can drink too much water and it has nothing to do with water intoxication. You should be sipping on water or other liquids all day but you must also watch what your eating. If you are not getting enough sodium you can easily put your system out of whack and end up causing Hyponatremia.

I currently weight 237 and the nutritionist and GP have me drinking between 56 to 76 ounces of liquid. When I work out I am to drink at least one more full bottle of water (more if i am sweating excessively as that can lead to Hypokalemia). I basically just always have a bottle with me and I sip on it as I go through my day. Some times its just water, some times its water with some fruit in it or a splash of ice tea or lemonade to kick it up. My morning Latte is also included in that count and juice but I barely drink juice its too sweet for me.

Before I went on my meds I was also allowed to have 1 diet pepsi in that count as well.

Its pretty much common sense...if your drinking or eating a TON of anything....its not the best idea!
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I drink about 12 glasses a day, before exercise (including exercise around 16-20!). I also use the bathroom a lot - once every hour or so. I wouldn't worry about that. But remember 8 ounces, which equals a glass, is actually pretty small. My water bottle is 24 oz so 1 bottle=3 glasses.

I think you are probably fine. If you are drinking more than 24 glasses a day, then maybe I'd worry. But otherwise, probably no.

I also think you should count only water as water, not soda or coffee or even juices. Think of those as a bonus. =)
  • saraii
    saraii Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was sort of wondering the same... Ive really cut down on the calories, from 3000 intake to almost half that so when i feel hungry i fill up on water but I've been drinking 3-5 32oz bottles since monday so todays third day, so far ive only had 2 but right now i feel so thirsty, not hungry. But havent drank anything so I dont keep peeing LOL.

Just worried.. Use to not drinking much water to where now i cant stop.