Most efficient way to cook chicken

Options
There are lots of recipes with chicken breast strips. Whats the most efficient/tasty/low cal way to prepare a large amount of strips that you can use in various sandwiches/salads? There's obviously boiling the meat, but do any of you prepare it differently?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I bake them on a cookie sheet. Just sprinkle desired seasonings on and throw in the oven.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I marinate them and grill them 2 or 3 pounds at a time. Then I just pull them out and eat as is or chop the to use in a casserole or salad. Today I am grilling marinated Korean chicken strips for the week. Last week I did a spice rubbed strip...week before I grilled Italian chicken.

You could do this in the oven if you don't have a grill.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Bake them in the oven, or throw them on the grill. You can cook them in a slow cooker or pressure cooker too, but I find that I always over cook them that way.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    I forgot to add...I also will do several whole chicken breasts in an Instant Pot. These I will cut up in to cubes and freeze to use when needed for recipes.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    George Foreman grill, salt & pepper, done somewhere around 8 minutes!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Either crock pot so they fall apart and you can season them afterwards any way you want, or grilled, same idea.
  • Nightgrl1980
    Nightgrl1980 Posts: 14 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Sous vide! Keeps the chicken extremely moist with a perfect cook every time. Active prep time is generally minimal, but does usually need to cook in the Sous vide for about an hour, then most recipes usually recommend a quick sear after the meat has been cooked.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Crock Pot. Every Sunday I dump a whole bag of chicken breasts in the Crock Pot and season them (I season them differently each week, but my favorite is some low sodium teriyaki sauce). I shred it and have a whole lot of chicken to do different things with throughout the week.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My usual methods are roasting or the slowcooker.

For roasting boneless skinless chicken breasts, I always marinate it first. I roast enough to last me 3 days and freeze the rest (still in its marinade). The meat comes out tasty and tender.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I usually go the crock pot method. I loathe dry chicken! I dump 4-5 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (or 8-9 thigjs, depending on deals) in the crock pot and then cover with a marinade and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred it with a fork. I use it throughout the week for salads, burritos, sandwiches, omelets, etc. My favorite marinade is just a jar of chunky salsa! I use the leftover juice to cook other things or make a small batch of chicken tortilla soup! But I've also used balsamic dressings, raspberry vinaigrette, italian and lemon etc. Just make sure to add water/liquid to cover the meat.

This is my favorite way to do chicken breast for future use. Takes longer, but foolproof and hands off.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Most efficient is sous vide (temp controlled water bath). It's super easy to cook whole chicken breasts to a perfect degree of doneness in one go and then store directly in their cooking vessels for later reheating & use. The cooking itself is fairly set it and forget it, too. If you think you don't like boneless skinless breast, then try one that's been cooked via sous vide to a perfect 140F instead of the usual 160F. It's a totally different product.

Second most efficient would be stir frying small bite-sized pieces. Depending on your comfort slicing raw chicken, you can break down 3-4 skinless boneless breasts in only 5 minutes or so including clean up and stir fry that meat in a couple of batches in another 15 minutes. Easily enough for multiple meals and pretty versatile, too.

Slow cooker would be one of the easiest methods, but it usually results in fairly dry/powdery meat when cooking boneless/skinless breasts unless you add back some fat and/or another sauce. It can work, but you kind of have to understand the end result that you'll be working with (for example, I love the slow cooker to cook chicken for enchilada since the meat will ultimately be recooked with sauce, beans, corn, and cheese before filling the tortillas).
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to why sous vide would be efficient unless you're talking about active cooking time (as opposed to passive). Even then it isn't anymore efficient that a crockpot/slow cooker. Sure it tastes great, but efficient it is not.

A pressure cooker is probably your best bet in terms of efficiency. Taste is down to your individual preference. I personally prefer to saute chicken breast in a pan on a medium to low temp with salt and pepper and a minimal amount of oil. Far less efficient than a pressure cooker and a lot more active time that sous vide, but it is rare that I do things, cooking wise, for efficiency's sake. That said, I prefer chicken thighs (which, I most frequently roast).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't know why anyone would eat boiled chicken unless it's in a soup.

Throw that *kitten* on the grill with a nice marinade.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Propane grill. Quick, easy, and tasty.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    I'm confused as to why sous vide would be efficient unless you're talking about active cooking time (as opposed to passive). Even then it isn't anymore efficient that a crockpot/slow cooker. Sure it tastes great, but efficient it is not.

Efficiency is a measure of 'bang for your buck' in terms of effort vs. result.

Even at a similar effort level, the quality of sous vide cooked meats is generally better than what you'll get out of a slow cooker. The end product is also more versatile.

That said, the fact that food to be cooked sous vide can be portioned into individual servings/bags before cooking and then refrigerated/frozen/reheated directly in those bags is a nice little kicker.
  • whhuynh90
    whhuynh90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    when i used to eat meat I would soak my chicken in 2 liters of water and 1g of salt x 30min-1hr. then remove and throw in the oven. add veggies! super moist and juicy chicken!
  • Annie_01
    Options
    I think it depends on how you are going to use your chicken afterwards. If I am eating it independently(not combined into a recipe) then I wanted it roasted, sauteed or grilled. If I shred it or dice it to combine in a casserole then the crockpot or pressure cooker is the most convenient.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I think it depends on how you are going to use your chicken afterwards. If I am eating it independently(not combined into a recipe) then I wanted it roasted, sauteed or grilled. If I shred it or dice it to combine in a casserole then the crockpot or pressure cooker is the most convenient.

My twin!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Agreed.

For a whole chicken, I'd roast (or for bone-in, skin-on pieces, more often than not).

I don't care for boneless, skinless breast that much, so will usually use it in a preparation. If I'm eating it right away I'd normally pan fry or sautee (or grill, if possible). For later use I'd cook in seasoned liquid (probably including some stock) in a slow cooker, and I've always found that comes out really juicy and versatile, but of course I'd just use it shredded on a salad or in a taco on with some other preparation.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I buy a very large package of chicken breasts and tenderize them and season them and cook them on the grill. I cube them up and pack them in my lunch and dip them in BBQ sauce. There's usually some leftover and hubby will use them in his salads, or I'll make chicken salad or something. I like grilling them because I don't have to add any extra oil or anything to prepare them. Pounding them down with a mallet is important so they cook through and aren't tough/dry. I get them about 3/4" thick and grill them for 6-8 minutes on each side on medium heat on a gas grill. Cooks a shitload of chicken very quickly.