Not getting enough Iron and potassium??

Options
I'm pretty boring so I eat the same stuff every day. I ran through all the different micro settings and figured out I'm getting like half the RDA of Iron and Potassium? I looked into supplementing and then everything I read said for those two I shouldn't supplement without consulting a doctor first?

Anyone else have any experience with this? My diet generally consists of : oatmeal, fruit, a rare scoop of protein powder, chicken, steak, occasional salmon, veggies, sweet potatoes, eggs and a quest bar or 2 a day. On about 2000 calories, try to hit a 35/35/30 protein/fat/carbs split.

Thanks!

Replies

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I've added low sodium v8 juice to help boost potassium levels
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Some of the MFP entries may not have the iron or potassium entered.

Men especially have to be careful not to overdose on iron. If you are concerned get a blood test.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Steak has a goodly amount of iron and this list shows that salmon is high in potassium. I’m doubting the MFP entries.

https://www.myfooddata.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Assuming, from your photo, you're an adult male, your recommended daily intake is only 44% of the RDI of women in their reproductive years, which is what the 100% on U.S. nutrition labels is set to. That is, if you're use food entries that are based on U.S. nutrition requirements, and you're hitting 44%, you probably don't have to worry (unless blood tests suggest otherwise). I would think a 2000 kcal diet that focuses on the foods you mention would easily have you hitting 44%.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You should never make decisions on micro supplementation based on mfp entries alone. Many users don't add all the micro info when creating an entry. If you're concerned about specific micros:

1. Take a couple of days of your food log and Google to verify the amount of the nutrient in question in each food. You might find you are actually getting plenty.
    2. If still concerned, get bloodwork done first to see if you are actually deficient.
    3. In the meantime, you could take a multivitamin if you really want to. In the past I've been told to avoid individual supplements of minerals without a deficient blood work result. I'm not a doctor or RD, so I don't know if that is universally good advice.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting your iron levels tested through blood work. If you happen to have too much iron, it is not good for you. Blood work is the best way to know. You'd be surprised at your actual level through blood work as it's usually not what you expect it to be. I always thought mine would be low, but it is usually always on the higher end.

I believe bananas have a lot of potassium and green leafy veggies have a lot of iron like spinach.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Way too many entries have incomplete nutrition info here to consider that data accurate. If you'd like a more accurate picture of your nutrition, you can enter your food at another site like Cronometer. Most likely, you're getting more than MFP is showing. And definitely get a blood test before supplementing. It's rare for men to be iron deficient and getting too much is dangerous.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself to a couple dates per day! They are an excellent source and healthier and less expensive option than ‘nutrition’ bars. Eat more greens too. Kale is great to freeze and add to smoothies or throw in with eggs for a boost to your breakfast.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    As someone mention, you may want to check the accuracy of the detail nutritional info. Some of it may not be filled out. I've noticed not all imported recipes have all the data. But to your question, yeah, your diet should be fine for iron. maybe eat a daily banana to get potassium up. I'm basically eating pescatarian diet, occasional steak 1 per month or so no chicken. And yes its difficult to get the iron with a vegetarian diet. So I'm seeing the same thing. even adding more kale and spinach doesn't get er done for me. But if you're eat steak on the regular your iron should be fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A lot of database entries are incomplete where micro-nutrients are concerned. If you're eating your meat, I'd wager you're fine with your iron.

Potassium isn't required on food labels and food labels are what people use to enter things into the database...so you're probably getting more than you think...it's just not listed.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Agree with most other folks about not getting too worried about iron and potassium unless you get your blood levels checked and are low. The RDA levels are really general. They also don't take into account things like use of cast iron, for example. Iron is high in foods like fortified grains/cereals, chicken livers, beef, lentils/black beans. And for potassium, you can't beat white beans and white potatoes, or avocado and spinach. So, whip up a baked potato with skin, a steak, and sauteed spinach, and go to town. ;-)