Meeting daily potassium recommendation

Options
How do you meet your daily potassium recommendation? I know it varies depending on demographics but I feel like I never hit my 3500mg goal that the app has set.
- I don't want to eat more than 1 banana a day at most (~422mg each)
- Coconut water is great but I don't love drinking my sugar intake
- Sweet potatoes seem to give the # a real boost but I'm getting sick of my regular recipes that include it.

Any tips???

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't accurate for micros, are you only tracking on here?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Potassium isn't required on the label, so you are likely getting more than you think. Plus, most of the entries are user entered, so inacuracies abound. Has your doctor told you that your potassium levels are low?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    The likelihood you are not meeting your potassium amount is quite small. At this point labels do not require it, and many foods that are high in it will not have the amount entered since it was not available in the nutritional information for it. In other words, the number you are getting from your diary for potassium is useless in terms of knowing if you are getting enough.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a proven deficiency or are experiencing a lot of muscle cramps where you believe that is the reason I wouldn't stress out about it. You likely get enough, but most foods aren't registered in MFP with their micronutrients so it doesn't show up.
  • charlotteddd
    charlotteddd Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Oh! Didn't consider that this isn't tracking my micros somewhat accurately. Hah!
    Haven't gone for blood work in a long time but doc hasn't commented... it was just one of the major cations I kept falling short on in my tracking and I know it's an important one for the heart.
  • MargieJaques
    MargieJaques Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My labwork came back with low potassium levels. The doctor said she was going to call me in a script to help but she must have forgotten, it will be months before I can get back in to see someone. I can't eat bananas (sugars) or V8 juice. I'm thinking drinking a Propel Zero a day may help for now and I did get a bottle of 99mgs supplements. Just wanted to see what other's do.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I make sure to eat beets, sweet potatoes, yogurt, and trout on a regular basis. There are other potassium rich foods to choose from if you don't like these.