Do you allow yourself to have a treat night ??

Options
2»

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    When I first started trying to eat healthy, I had a "treat" or "cheat" meal once a week. It was more about discipline than the food. I learned to eat whatever I really wanted, like pizza or McDonald's occasionally without going crazy. The most important lesson learned was that when the meal is over, it's over. You need to immediately go back to eating healthy and counting calories. Once I learned to handle that, I could have occasional treats and get back on track without the strict "once a week" rule. For instance, I have thanksgiving dinner on thanksgiving day and again on Saturday after thanksgiving. Don't have to choose, but I may not have a treat meal the week before or the week after.
    Treat or cheat doesn't mean going crazy to me. It just means I don't have to worry about it. Eat a reasonable amount of reasonable food and don't even try to count calories or macros. Just enjoy!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My diet is very healthy especially compared to what it used to be like I used to have toast for breakfast along with a bag of crisps anything my one year old would leave I would finish it off I would snack all day on crisps and chocolate I would have pizza and garlic bread for dinner and then I would have something like pork chops chips and gravy for my tea and taking a pack of biscuits to bed and other treats like crisps and cakes. Now I’m on a strict diet I don’t know what all the fuss is about and why people are saying I’m eating too little I’m loosing weight that’s the main thing

1200 calories is the minimum recommended for most women for a reason. Eating below that requires very careful attention to be sure you're getting the vitamins and nutrients your body needs and to be sure that your body isn't doing anything like eating away at the muscles in your heart. You said in your OP that you "never really go over 1000 calories." If that's not accurate, I'm glad. But those are your words and a lot of people are responding to them because a diet that's below your minimum required calories over a long period of time (as "never" seems to indicate) is, by definition, not a healthy diet. It doesn't matter how healthy each individual food is in your diet if they don't add up to cover your basic nutrition needs.

It might be a good idea to clarify what your daily and weekly calorie intake looks like because I would give different advice to someone who's never going over 1000 calories vs. someone who sometimes goes over 1200 and sometimes doesn't so that their goals average out over the course of a week. That's important information for people to have (including yourself) and right now we're kind of being told two different things, do you see?
  • paigethurlow95
    paigethurlow95 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I first started trying to eat healthy, I had a "treat" or "cheat" meal once a week. It was more about discipline than the food. I learned to eat whatever I really wanted, like pizza or McDonald's occasionally without going crazy. The most important lesson learned was that when the meal is over, it's over. You need to immediately go back to eating healthy and counting calories. Once I learned to handle that, I could have occasional treats and get back on track without the strict "once a week" rule. For instance, I have thanksgiving dinner on thanksgiving day and again on Saturday after thanksgiving. Don't have to choose, but I may not have a treat meal the week before or the week after.
    Treat or cheat doesn't mean going crazy to me. It just means I don't have to worry about it. Eat a reasonable amount of reasonable food and don't even try to count calories or macros. Just enjoy!

Thank you I am counting all my calories and I’m enjoying the this app I don’t think I would be able to keep tabs of my calories I enjoy getting weighed every week and seeing I have lost something. Every time I get weighed and I loose 2lb I think should I have a treat night once a week but then I think would I put that 2lb back on I’m not sure how it work haha
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My diet is very healthy especially compared to what it used to be like I used to have toast for breakfast along with a bag of crisps anything my one year old would leave I would finish it off I would snack all day on crisps and chocolate I would have pizza and garlic bread for dinner and then I would have something like pork chops chips and gravy for my tea and taking a pack of biscuits to bed and other treats like crisps and cakes. Now I’m on a strict diet I don’t know what all the fuss is about and why people are saying I’m eating too little I’m loosing weight that’s the main thing

Personally I wouldn't call 2 microwave meals per day a very healthy diet. Where's the 5 portions of fruit & veg a day?
  • Bowsa
    Bowsa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think that getting back to basics is a good idea.

Calories in V calories out is what I would focus on at this point, and trying to ensure you’re eating whole foods on the deficit that big will be key.

If having a treat is something that will, allow you to adhere then that’s gonna be good however as has been said ensuring that you’re getting a decent range of nutrients and salt is going to be key.