Replies

• hcarb001
    hcarb001 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bowsa wrote: »
    hcarb001 wrote: »
    I’m definitelyyyy in a caloric deficit. I’m supposed to be eating over 2000cals for maintenance, and I’m eating 1650. So another concern is maybe I’m not eating enough which can also cause weight gain

Nah. Your weight can fluctuate due to all sorts of things, but it is scientifically impossible to gain fat because of "not eating enough". Certainly weight loss can slow for any number of reasons (the chart above lists many of the usual culprits), but you can be confident that you won't gain fat by eating too little.
    But by under eating, you can starve your muscle, which in turn will lower the amount of calories your body naturally burns. I’m eating at an extreme deficit and lifting heavier weights each week. There’s a thin line with cutting/starving the body and i think i might be teetering

You think 1650 calories a day on a TDEE of 2000 is an "extreme" deficit?

That's not even 20 percent.

Can you lose muscle mass at a high deficit? Sure can. 17 percent isn't a high deficit. Can you develop hormonal adaptations that make water weight more likely to stay on? Yup. After prolonged situations at a high deficit. But you're not at a high deficit.

Is there a reason you're opposed to weighing and measuring, and tightening up your logging before jumping to the "I must be starving myself!" bogus claim?

Honestly, the tone of your post is extremely uncalled for. This is a community chat board for people seeking helpful advice. Not belittlement or ridicule. So....in words on your level of respect, be polite or get off my thread.

I'm neither belittling you nor ridiculing you. I am asking questions to get you to try to understand why you aren't losing. I don't sugar coat.

And you also don't get to dictate who chats on a thread or not.

I don’t think the point of their post was to belittle you - though you’ve had the bulk of advice saying the first and best place to start would be to begin stringently tracking your macros / calories.....you seem adverse to doing this, and with no reason as to why?

Everyone has their own back story. I used to eat less than 800-900 calories a day from an eating disorder. I used to hard core weigh every single thing i used in cooking and eating, but i noticed my eating disorder symptoms resurfacing. Like i said before, i weighed my foods for so long that i know correct estimations, and i DO still weigh some foods. On the foods that i don’t weigh, i make the estimations and then take a little away just to lower rates of inaccuracies.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Have you recently (in the past few weeks) changed or increased your workout program or suddenly added extra volume or training days, in particular to your weight training? Also, how is your workout performance feeling? Are you at least maintaining your strength and stamina in the gym?

If you don't want to track 100% of your food because of your past, you need to cut a portion down or snack out, in particular a calorie dense one. Try removing a snack or something from your day and see if it helps keeping all other things in your diet the same (as much as you can). It will be trial and error and could take a while but it could help.

And if you feel like any of your past ED feelings start to resurface at any time, definitely reach out to your doctor.

• hcarb001
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Have you recently (in the past few weeks) changed or increased your workout program or suddenly added extra volume or training days, in particular to your weight training? Also, how is your workout performance feeling? Are you at least maintaining your strength and stamina in the gym?

If you don't want to track 100% of your food because of your past, you need to cut a portion down or snack out, in particular a calorie dense one. Try removing a snack or something from your day and see if it helps keeping all other things in your diet the same (as much as you can). It will be trial and error and could take a while but it could help.

And if you feel like any of your past ED feelings start to resurface at any time, definitely reach out to your doctor.
    I’ve added VT to my leg days and I’ve increased my maxes in all lifts. I’ve been feeling no difference in stamina or endurance, besides cardio still sucks lol.
  • sardelsa
    Options

I’ve added VT to my leg days and I’ve increased my maxes in all lifts. I’ve been feeling no difference in stamina or endurance, besides cardio still sucks lol.

Sometimes adding more volume can increase water retention. Last year when I was cutting I changed workout programs and although the training was similar it was slightly more volume and my weight jumped up 2-3lbs and became my new normal weight.. and I didn't see a drop for at least a month..so what looked like a plateau was actually just me holding on to water weight.

Also if you are noticing not as much energy and workout performance, it could help to swap out some of the fats for carbs. I know you are low carb/keto but carbs can be a lifters best friend.. and better/more efficient workout performance can equal burning more cals and keeping up progressive overload with less burnout.
  • hcarb001
    Options

Sometimes adding more volume can increase water retention. Last year when I was cutting I changed workout programs and although the training was similar it was slightly more volume and my weight jumped up 2-3lbs and became my new normal weight.. and I didn't see a drop for at least a month..so what looked like a plateau was actually just me holding on to water weight.

Also if you are noticing not as much energy and workout performance, it could help to swap out some of the fats for carbs. I know you are low carb/keto but carbs can be a lifters best friend.. and better/more efficient workout performance can equal burning more cals and keeping up progressive overload with less burnout.

I recently started using creatine, and I’ve heard mixed opinions and studies or how that affects weight loss/water retention. What’s your take on that?
  • sardelsa
    Options

I recently started using creatine, and I’ve heard mixed opinions and studies or how that affects weight loss/water retention. What’s your take on that?

Oh that could definitely be it.. creatine can cause water retention for sure.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

I think this is your answer, OP.

I gained 4 lbs when I started using creatine.
    I would give it a few weeks before you make more changes.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

It affected me, 5 pounds gained both times I took it, but I lose it after 4 days of discontinuing. I am a nonresponder so I won't be taking it any more.

https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/