Need advice

So I am a pretty heavy guy I am currently 225lbs and 5ft 10, I guess my question is if I eat to maintain weight but train consistently will my body composition change or am I better to lose weight and start from there

Replies

• eamonmcmanus36
    eamonmcmanus36 Posts: 8 Member
    I have about 28% body fat and have lifted weights for a while so I am not a beginner in that respect, I have cut weight before but I was younger and didn't really know what I was doing so I just dieter like crazy
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Recomp (eating at maintenance, following a progressive lifting program) is a slow process. You'd probably be better off lifting with a small deficit to lose some fat, eating sufficient protein to help retain muscle - you may find that you're satisfied with the results once you've lost some of the weight.
  • Sparkeysworld
    Sparkeysworld Posts: 107 Member
    edited April 2018
    How long have you been at maintenance calories (if you are) and have you seen a change in body composition?

Building muscle requires you to be in a calorie surplus, 400 calories above is sufficient to gain.
    However if you are already at the weight you say, adding more calories will only eventually mean losing more when you eventually cut.

My advice would be to cut back to around 15% BF whilst doing both resistance training and some cardio (3 x 30m wk).
    Then when you get to a point you feel happy with how you look, do a lean bulk.

It is possible for people to gain in a calorie deficit, this is because sometimes the body can actually use stored fat as energy, but this is rare and only happens on rare occasions such as those beginning their fitness journey, those with pre-existing muscle memory, and those with really good genetics, diet and training.

Good luck.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    So I am a pretty heavy guy I am currently 225lbs and 5ft 10, I guess my question is if I eat to maintain weight but train consistently will my body composition change or am I better to lose weight and start from there

Nutrition partitioning is not in your favor in terms of a recomp. You are overfat and need to cut weight. If you haven't consistently followed a structured program or really trained, you still have a good ability to gain some muscle while you lose weight. If anything have about a 15 to 20% deficit, follow a structured progressive overload lifting program and then give it time. At best, you will gain a bit of muscle.. at worse, you will see improvements in your body. The below link is a good place to start.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • eamonmcmanus36
    eamonmcmanus36 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks for the advice, it is good to get support and informative answers rather than the usual abuse and negativity