Healthy chocolate recipes?

Options
AmyOutOfControl
AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
Hi. My name is Amymoreorless and I am a chocoholic. It has been 30 minutes since I last had a chocolate binge.... I tried keeping individual wrapped chocolate pieces in my desk at work with the intention of limiting myself to one a day. Alas, I am weak willed when it comes to chocolatey goodness.

Seriously, I need some healthy, low calories, and delicious chocolate recipes to curb my cravings. Extra credit bonus points if the recipe includes dark chocolate.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I’m a fan of cocoa. Sweeten with an artificial sweetener.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/easy-diet-hot-chocolate-mix-453892

I don’t keep much chocolate in the house but cocoa is safe as the recipe takes a while to prepare.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/sugar-free-mug-cake-533272

My latest fave is a chai or chamomile tea sweetened with Stevia drops, 1/2 teaspoon cocoa and a sprinkle of cinnamon. All the comfort with a fraction of the calories.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The best chocolate recipe I've found for satisfying my own needs is one small piece of high quality dark chocolate. I'm a fan of Endangered Species chocolate - they have different animals on their packages and I'm not sure which flavor is which but I like the one with the wolf on it. Maybe you could keep your individually wrapped chocolate at home and take a single piece to work each day.

I also like coffee with foamed milk (either 2% or almond milk) sprinkled with cinnamon and shaved 85% cacao chocolate. I make shavings by chopping it using a serrated steak knife. If I get bored I add a couple of drops of extract to the coffee first - peppermint, orange, rum, almond, whatever I'm in the mood for. Less than 50 calories total with the almond milk and seems really decadent. If your coffee machine doesn't have a foaming attachment, I'm told you can make foamed milk in a jar in the microwave.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I've found two chocolate brewing products that I'm happy drinking without any sweetener at all: a tea-bag style product called Teecino in it chocolate-chicory-herb variety and ground cocoa beans sold as Crio Bru that you can brew in a french press. Sometimes I just put a spoonful of the ground cocoa on top of my coffee grounds when I make a cup or pot using the pour-over method. The Crio Bru comes in different flavors; recently I've been drinking the Maya flavor which is light roasted with cinnamon, cayenne, and ground vanilla. But when that's done, I'm going to try the Ghana flavor, which is just light-roasted cocoa beans. This has really been a revelation, as mocha always sounded like it would be good, but I cannot stand sugar in my coffee, but now I can have the chocolate flavor without that nasty sweetness fighting the lovely bitterness of the coffee.

Since I usually drink my coffee (and the Teecino product) black, and never add sugar, it's pretty low calorie. Obviously YMMV depending on how you like to doctor your hot drinks.

Before I found those two products, I would make mexican-style hot cocoa from unsweetened powdered cocoa (like you use for baking), ground red pepper (cayenne), cinnamon, maybe a little vanilla and/or almond extract, and just a very little sugar, plus milk. I liked it a lot, and the calorie hit was pretty low, and I was "buying" some protein and even some fiber with the calories.

I also sometimes make chocolate smoothies using unsweetened powdered cocoa and either avocados or banana for a great thick texture. More calories, but lots of nutrients, and I would usually either fit it in my breakfast calories or have it as a snack or dessert when I had the calories but needed to get a little "bang" for the calorie buck in terms of nutrients.

Obviously, I'm happy with chocolate that isn't especially sweet or high-fat, so it's easier to get a calorie bargain that way.

And now I'm wishing I hadn't started thinking about all this on Good Friday when I can't have any.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Have to agree about control. Either you control the cravings better or you make the tradeoffs; I have had a few days where I didn't eat really healthy overall because I was too free with the snacks, but I made them fit by limiting what I ate the rest of the day. Sometimes I would log something on the next day and spread it out across two days, but I never let it get me over in the long run. I can't say it taught me not to do that; I have done it recently. But I made goal anyway, because I had the discipline to either not eat too much chocolate or take my lumps later for it.
  • charlotteddd
    charlotteddd Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    About 3/4 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt, 1tbsp dark cocoa powder, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1/2 tbsp "gold" Nescafé instant espresso... sounds and tastes naughty but if you're eating yogurt with sugar added this is probably a healthier option. I often have this for breakfast with berries.
  • Treehugger_88
    Treehugger_88 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    a tbsp of cocoa powder mixed with a banana is good.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Fellow chocoholic here.

I like sugar free chocolate pudding mixed in with a bit of chocolate protein powder or chocolate protein bars. The think thin bars are freaking delicious. I make a couple varieties at home that satisfy the sugar craving and help me meet my protein goals for the day.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/250213/chocolate-decadence/

164 calories And very rich. You could cut smaller for less calories. I would skip the orange peel personally.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just need a reframing of mind and better environment control? What would happen if you stop calling yourself an addict, powerless, weak willed, but also stop buying and storing chocolate, and stop singing songs to it (it's just chocolate!), and at the same time looking for less-than-optimal substitutions, and instead had a reasonable serving of your favorite, at scheduled occasions?

This 100%
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Options