Gluten-Free and Low-Fat

Options
girlinthebox18
girlinthebox18 Posts: 75 Member
edited April 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Hello! I was diagnosed a while back with a gluten sensitivity, but recently my daughter was diagnosed with full-blown Celiac Disease. I was a bit lenient with eating gluten prior, but after seeing how sick she's been and finally getting an answer, I am bound and determined to follow this diet with her. I would consider Paleo, but unfortunately, I have gallstones, and am on a Dr. prescribed low-fat diet to keep them from growing. I was wondering if anyone else following a gluten-free diet might have any and all advice for me to make the transition easier? I like to cook and eat fresh foods, but as a full-time student I can't stay in the kitchen all day long. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• diana_testa
    diana_testa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do! Let’s keep in touch!
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Use the search function toward the top of the page - there are lots of threads that address gluten free diets.
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am also gluten free. I can't have most of the GF substitutes on my diet, so it's quite challenging, but if your daughter can eat rice and corn, there are lots of GF ready-to-make or ready-to-eat products available. Also don't feel intimidated by going GF, many foods are naturally GF, so it's not as difficult as it sounds. Feel free to ask me any questions regarding food, I am happy to share ideas.
  • girlinthebox18
    girlinthebox18 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I will definitely doctor search, because the main thing that started this process was that my daughter wasn't absorbing nutrients (white stools) and having frequent stomach pain, a rash, and headaches (at only 4 years old). Her pcp specializes in behavior, so even he readily admitted that Celiac isn't his area of expertise. Thank you for all the advice, and the links, it's all been extremely helpful!
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Oh I am so glad you caught her quickly, but so sorry she has it so young. :-(

With her so young, I would add one piece of advice- you are going to have to basically train her to not put her hands in her mouth unless she just washed them. Touching something with gluten on it, and then putting your hand in your mouth, is a reeeeeally common way itty bitties get glutened. :-(. Like touching other kids’ hands after they just had crackers, or a toy someone had with basically non-visible crumbs on it, or a couch arm or playground equipment where someone dropped crumbs, etc... it gets much easier once she is old enough not to put her hands in her mouth as much, but something to look out for when she is still so small.

I hope she feels better soon!

Oh another thing- a lot of kids end up having cognitive difficulties or emotional difficulties if they accidentally get glutened, for a few days or so. It can be a good clue that something is going on, as when gluten is low level sometimes there is no real outward tummy upset.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If she's sensitive, check to see that you have gluten still in your kitchen that you can get rid off -- cutting boards, silverware drawers, teflon. Some people even check that there is no gluten in personal products like toothpaste and shampoo.

Food ideas: meat, eggs, fish or dairy products, veggies and fruit, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, rice, beans, Rice Chex cereal, Cheerios,
    https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/gluten-free-foods/diet/basic-diet/
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Just re: cheerios- most celiacs I know avoid those like the plague. Up to last year, at least, their testing for gluten is known to have problems that can end up with some batches containing too much gluten. For little ones who are healing, I would honestly avoid ‘em.

I know some adult celiacs who are willing to risk it, mind, bit it does seem yo BE a risk. :-(
  • OliverRaningerVegan
    OliverRaningerVegan Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I used Vegan