350 lbs and feeling like a complete failure

Options
:frown: :frown: Okay, so Monday, I met with my with trainer. She worked me hard by my standard. Considering it was my first day I expected it to be hard. Yesterday, I went to the mall and walked with 2 friends. I did two laps, was sweating, heart racing and got a shin splint. Now I cannot get anyone to tell me for sure how far one lap around the mall is but I have heard 1/2 to 1 mile. Today, I went to the track at the local high school, did 2 laps, so 1/2 mile. I felt like I had done 20 miles, sweating breathing hard etc. I am so scared as I meet with my trainer again Monday and I am SURE she is going to kill me. This 350 lb body is rebelling. God help me as I am sooooooo going to need it!!!!

Replies

• lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Just keep going, you know it will be worth it in the end! :D
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just start out slowly. Do you have to work with a trainer now? Maybe it's better to wait? I started with two 10 minute walks a day.
  • kristen95020
    Options
    You can do it! It can only get better, right? =)
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    its all about taking it a step at a time, just pace yourself and you will do fine
  • sendit
    sendit Posts: 28
    Options
    It gets easier. You even start to want to workout.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Just start out slowly. Do you have to work with a trainer now? Maybe it's better to wait? I started with two 10 minute walks a day.

I agree, unless you need the trainer for motivation. Maybe find a friend or relative to commit to walk with you each day, or if there's nobody that can fit it in, be accountable. My sister is trying to lose a larger amount of weight and she and I text each other every morning as to what workout/walk we are doing that day.
  • rebsaganes
    rebsaganes Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there. You didn't get to this point in one day and it's going to take time to get where you want. 1/2 mile, mile, it all adds up and it will increase if you keep at it. Chin up:-) Give yourself credit for wanting to change.
  • JenUB
    JenUB Posts: 84
    Options
    Keep up the good work! You'll be surprised how quickly you'll see you're endurance building.
  • debbie4713
    Options
    Hi!! You are doing great...start out slow and build up. I walk the mall in my area and one lap around the whole perimeter of the mall is one mile, im sure yours is probably close to that or more. Keep up the good work it will be worth it in the end :)
  • wannabefit4life
    Options
    Don't push yourself to the point where you begin to question yourself and your ability to do this! Just start out slow! If you start out at 20 minutes a day, then that's way better than 0 minutes! This is a life long journey. Your body will adapt and you may even find yourself down the road RUNNING that mile you hope to walk! :) You'll be surprised to find out how much you are capable of if you simply just keep on going. You are NOT a failure, you are AWESOME for taking the step to get your health back on track! Good luck! You can do this, TRUST ME ! :)
  • perishable
    perishable Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yep, just like what mrmarius said.

I always just think "one day at a time". If I feel like working out today, I do it and I finish it. If I don't feel like working out, I just don't. However, if those off days become too frequent, I use that to convince myself the next day. One day at a time!
  • BobertC
    BobertC Posts: 123
    Options
    I started at 380, trust me it'll get easier if you stick with it
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    You have started doing something about it so you are NOT a failure.

it will get easier but then you will also be able to push yourself harder and as you see the lbs disappearing you will probably want to push yourself harder too.
  • leemarie324
    leemarie324 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    DO NOT GIVE UP..stick with it, and keep working at it...just when you wanna give up, just ask yourself "how bad do I want this?"..good luck and keep us posted with your progress!..you can do it! :)
  • Mamasherri
    Options
    Wow I am impressed. It is hard to keep going. I keep trying but some days I just rebel. Be careful, I worry about a heart attack or something. Seems like it takes so much effort to just move. Best wishes and I'm rooting for you. It will be worth it when we get where we want to be.
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Just taking the first step and beginning to work out is great! You should be proud of yourself. But you can't go from nothing to something overnight. Take your time, listen to your body. Hang in there, you're doing great so far!
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You are so AWESOME to have started this journey! Starting is the hardest part! You are fabulous, just stick with it and don't try to kill yourself the first week. It's a new healthy journey you have begun, don't try to do it all at once. Give yourself a big pat on the back, you deserve it!
  • DakotaCowboyMom
    Options
    Something I found that works for me and I started this journey at 347 lbs. I started working out by doing water aerobics. You burn a lot of calories and it is way easier on your joints than working out on land. I actually look forward to Mon Wed Fri mornings and my aerobics class. Just a thought.
  • Debraonamission
    Options
    HI - when I hired a personal trainer, I met with her twice and then fell and broke my arm. Even though it took six months to heal, she continued to work with me. I am also very overweight and when I first started, I had no stamina and I was very weak. I've been working for 7 months now, the first 6 were limited to using only one arm, but I am feeling stronger and have much better endurance and I know that I have made progress.

I'd say to be patient with yourself; remember that it is a journey to get to your goals. And, the fact that you have a trainer and are working out and walking is far from a failure mode.

I wish you every success!
  • MandyCanDo
    MandyCanDo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You are already a success, just by starting AND asking for support! It is a long road, but the journey will teach you so much about yourself and what you are capable of. Everyone has already said it, but one day at a time, slow and steady and most of all---Love yourself and thank yourself for making the best healthy decisions you can for that day!! Can't wait for you to keep us posted on how AWESOME you are doing!