Adding friends, yay or nay?

Options
jojo6mfp
jojo6mfp Posts: 412 Member
I’m wondering if adding friends will help or hinder ? I’m married so I think if any women only would be a be a better option or am I over thinking it lol

Has it helped any of you on your journey or do you find it easier to stay focused with no friends?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Friends with a similar calorie goal/weight goal or fitness goal can be useful
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I add 50 friends and then delete inactive ones and add new ones so i Always stay at 50. That way i know about most of the people in my friends list, i see patterns in how its going for them and get enough feedback on my own posts.
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Your over thinking it

Having the support of people on here does help! Makes you go alittle further to reach those goals you may have
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jojo6mfp wrote: »
    I tried MFP some years ago...and didn't even realize what the friends feature was. I knew that it existed as somebody recommended I try this site, but they never logged on so I didn't get the concept of a 'feed' or any of that. I don't think I knew the forums where here, either.

I knew I really needed to change my diet last year and just went in here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1467607/post-here-if-you-want-more-friends#latest

Said hello, and made some MFP friends. I'm married, tons of people are married. This is like a support group. People also use it for a dating site, fun and games, goofing off...all kinds of things. It's whatever you want. "Fitness-based (at least theoretically) communication platform". But there's a lot of people who do take the fitness aspect pretty seriously and you can find people with similar age and goals.

I think you should try making friends who are just starting out as well. There will be like a little cohort of tons of people who told themselves they were going to get fit starting THIS YEAR, and now it's April, and the day after Easter...so they can't pretend it's still last year anymore.

Go check it out, and good luck! Look for people who log their calories and see who actually loses weight, then eat more like them.

Thanks I will go post on there, I’ve tried a couple of the other add female friends and women’s groups but no friends yet , I may change my name to Billy no mates lol

Put a message with your friend request, that might help?
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It's been helping me to have more friends (but be cautious because some people are just looking for hookups, not fitness support). Why does it help? Well, because it gives me more people to high five for good work, and more opportunity to see how others handle their eating habits (often giving me really good ideas), and I get to chat with people about fitness without being annoying (I hope!).
  • DreamAmalfi
    DreamAmalfi Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I accepted a FR and I see another FR request popped up. Makes it 2 once I accept. The motivation rests with me alone but friends can be encouraging. The forums are.mostly entertaining.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP I ignored requests because I just wasn’t comfortable with it. Then I decided I was going to change that. I don’t actively seek friends but accept *most* requests. I only immediately unfriended a person once because I realized it was a 13year old girl. I’m not too concerned if a friend is active or not. Folks have private lives and life happens.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I just came back after a long time gone and I saw that I was deleted by some and kept on others, nice to know since I just pooffed for a bit. Back now and going to do this again and looking for friends....motivation is good and to see others progress is great motivation!