Ladies... what size Kettlebell do you use?

Options
Hey (:
I want to start doing KB exercise but I'm not sure which size to buy (8lbs or 12lbs) I'm 5'5 and curently weigh 120lbs my arms are used to lifting 8lb dumbells...... Bt I do tire while using them...... Please tell me what you use and what you started with.... Thanks (:

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to know what everyone else uses/thinks. I've thought about buying one but haven't yet for the same reason as you (not sure what to get) I haven't had time to go and see if I can try one out at a store, even though that would look pretty funny :laugh:
  • Miss_Chanelle
    Miss_Chanelle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm not a lady, but I'll pretend to be one right now. From all that I've read, 26 lbs is what "we" are supposed to start off with. Those men, 35lbs. Just remember, when training with kettlebells, it's more important to do the exercises correctly then it is to overweight yourself. You'd be surprised how much damage you can do to yourself with a kettlebell, if you don't use it properly. Ok, back to being a man now.
  • Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started with 5lb dumbells and moved up to a 10lb kb and just bought a 15lb kb. so id suggest going to a store and playing around with the 10 or 12 and seeing which one you can lift but is just a little heavy. Hope you have fun with them! I love mine and use them as often as i can!!!
  • Miss_Chanelle
    Miss_Chanelle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys (:
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I started with an 18 lbs. and soon after got a 26. Most authorities recommend women start with 18, as far as I've seen.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I use anywhere from a 15 to 30 lb. depending on what I am doing.

windmills and overhead squats (which I so totally suck at) 15
    snatches, high pulls - 20
    one hand swings, alternating swings - 25
    two hand swings - 30

We recently bought a 40 lb and I've used it a couple times for two hand swings but it really tires me out quickly.

I started with a 10 lb and didn't use it very long at all.
  • vportiz
    vportiz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've just started lifting ANY type of weights recently & I'm using a 10lb kb. I think I will get a heavier one soon enough, though.
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use anywhere from a 15 to 30 lb. depending on what I am doing.

windmills and overhead squats (which I so totally suck at) 15
    snatches, high pulls - 20
    one hand swings, alternating swings - 25
    two hand swings - 30

We recently bought a 40 lb and I've used it a couple times for two hand swings but it really tires me out quickly.

I started with a 10 lb and didn't use it very long at all.

That's what use as well.
    For 2 arm swings I use 30lbs ( was using 25lbs but recently it feels a lot lighter)
    40lbs for deadlifts.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    What you need to go off of is the basic swing. Find a weight that works you doing the basic kettlebell swing (for beginning women that's usually 15-25 lbs) as it is a primarily lower body exercise. Start working on upper body exercises, such as the clean and the press, after you've got the swing down.

The swing is the basis of all true kettlebell exercises and it revolves primarily around core, glute, hamstring, and quadricep engagement. As you can see it is primarily lower body. If you're not using a weight heavy enough to force those muscles to engage during the movement it will lead to improper form during other exercises.
  • KINGoftheBUFF
    KINGoftheBUFF Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have taught literally hundreds of Kettlebell students....and actively have a kettlebell club with 150 + members. I teach classes 7 times a week.

The average starting weight for my female students is 8kg or 12 kg. Thats 18lbs or 26lbs. For most exercises this is a very safe weight. Remember most of the exercises if done correctly is effeciency of movement and ballistic in nature. Less weight than that and you can't do them properly. Also, don't be supprised, most of my female students work up to 16kg withing 3 - 6 months. Thats 35lbs.

Also to note, a 16kg, is a pood, and is the traditional weight for females in Russian Kettlebell. 24kg for men.

Also, please learn correctly....this is a difficult tool to master, or even be effecient with basic skills.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 125 lbs. I use a 25 lb. kettlebell but honestly, it's becoming a bit too light particularly when performing the swing. I'm thinking of purchasing a 35 lb. one...eventually.
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What you need to go off of is the basic swing. Find a weight that works you doing the basic kettlebell swing (for beginning women that's usually 15-25 lbs) as it is a primarily lower body exercise. Start working on upper body exercises, such as the clean and the press, after you've got the swing down.

The swing is the basis of all true kettlebell exercises and it revolves primarily around core, glute, hamstring, and quadricep engagement. As you can see it is primarily lower body. If you're not using a weight heavy enough to force those muscles to engage during the movement it will lead to improper form during other exercises.

I do clean and press, rows and turkish push ups as well. For the clean and press, I am still at 15lbs:-( tried the 25lbs and nearly keeled over:-(
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I need to get my wife to read this thread - she thinks 15 lbs is too light for a lot of her workouts, so I'm buying her a 25 lb one soon. (She's only 4'10", but damn if she's not the strongest little hobbit in the shire!)

Honestly, it's all a matter of how much you're able to safely handle - see if you can go to a place where you can give one a test swing. If you're really unsure, then you may want to invest in an adjustable one. I'm looking into something like that for when she gets to using the 25 for all her exercises - I can set it to 25 for her, and then back to 50-60 for me.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I started with a 15lb kettlebell but those get really light fast when you're doing the swinging. I now use a 25lb kettlebell when I am doing swings or goblet squats.
  • robertwilson009
    robertwilson009 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    According to me, a good starting point is 8kg. This is the ideal weight for a woman. It also depends if you were already lifting heavy with dumbbells and how strong you already are. Here is an article that I found would be helpful for you. https://www.kettlebellkings.com/what-size-kettlebell/
  • Margee1965
    Margee1965 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started with 10 as our pa said any thing less would not do any thing for us but working up on too 14 now most doing squats and arms x
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    According to me, a good starting point is 8kg. This is the ideal weight for a woman. It also depends if you were already lifting heavy with dumbbells and how strong you already are. Here is an article that I found would be helpful for you. https://www.kettlebellkings.com/what-size-kettlebell/

The OP is from 2012...and the user who posted it hasn't been here since 2015, not sure she'll get to read your article!