considering leaving WW for MFP Advice?

Options
acravy79
acravy79 Posts: 4 Member
I lost 60 pounds on Weight Watchers several years ago so I decided to try it again. With all their free foods i find that I'm still starving and not necessarily enjoying my food.
The free foods aren't things I actually like very much.
Things I would snack on in the past are now very point heavy on WW. A 200 calorie snack can easily be 7 or 8 of your daily points and you only get 23 to start with.
Wondering if I wouldn't do better with counting straight calories.

Where would I start with MFP calorie wise? I put my info in and it says 1200 per day. That's scary!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    No matter what plan you go with it is still all about counting calories. Use what is easiest for you. How much do you have to lose to get to a healthy weight? For most people a goal of 0.5-1 pound loss per week is reasonable. Remember MFP gives you the calories based on what information you provide. It also expects you to eat back some of your exercise calories (should you perform any).
  • acravy79
    Options
    I have to lose 40 to get to a bmi of 30 but I'd like to lose 60 total.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,138 Member
    Options
    Well, even counting calories, 1200 is a low number and you may find it difficult to hit. I did it for a couple months, but had to raise calories to a level of "Lose one pound per week." That was around 1600 and much easier, and I still lost at a good rate.

Good thing with Myfitnesspal is that when you exercise, it gives you more food. I had trouble on 1200 but if I took a walk, 1400 or 1500 made it much more manageable.

Also, you'll have to learn about nutrition and what foods make you feel full for longer. Just because you like jello and cookies (for instance - nothing wrong with jello and cookies), doesn't mean that's a great snack for leaving you satisfied. On 1200, you really have to make every calorie count and choose carefully or the rising and falling blood sugars and lack of satiety will make it really hard.
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have participated in both and I have found MFP to be a better fit. That doesn't make WW less effective, it's simply not for me.
  • belle55472
    belle55472 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've had past success on Weight Watchers but recently was on it for 4 months (Freestyle was introduced almost as soon as I started) and didn't lose a single pound. Was exactly the same weight 4 months later. I felt like it was calculating me for maintenance rather than weight loss no matter what I did. I am WFPB anyway so it helped that they made most plant foods zero points because previously beans were higher in points but the flaw in that plan is that you end up eating huge amounts which even though they are plants and great for you they are not calorie free and weight loss is still about calorie deficit. I have a Fitbit so now I'm just using MFP synched with Fitbit and making sure I get my steps in and that my macros are adjusted to make sure I get enough fat (which I wasn't previously) and I have already lost 2 lbs since switching. I am only trying to lose about 8 vanity lbs so it almost feels like a lost cause because I've been stuck here for literally years but I certainly didn't want to keep paying WW to camp out on a plateau when I can do pretty much the same thing myself with other tools.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @acravy79, what are you stats? Height, weight, age, M/F? And what did you set as a target weekly weightloss for MFP?
  • bluerose49
    bluerose49 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’ve just left WW & getting started on MFP but think this will be easier to plan meals & encourage me to eat more healthily
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    acravy79 wrote: »
    I have to lose 40 to get to a bmi of 30 but I'd like to lose 60 total.

You can choose 1, 1.5 or 2 pounds loss per week. I would choose a deficit that leaves you satisfied and allows you to achieve your goal. Food selections should come from healthy choices and make sure you are getting adequate protein and healthy fats since these will curb hunger. Make sure you are consuming 25-30g fiber a day as well since fiber is filling (comes from fruits, veggies, whole grains). Weigh your food and log everything you consume. If you have a slip up don't let it consume you. Move on and get back on track. Most of all have patience. The scale will go up, down and flat line at times, but if you are maintaining your deficit you will lose.
  • acravy79
    Options
    Sigh. Unfortunately, I am 209 at 5 foot 5 inches. Female. 38. I don't remember what I set it as. 2 pounds per week I think.
  • mickie_on_my_way
    mickie_on_my_way Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I, too, am about to leave WW. While my lack of success lately with them is NOT their fault, I am finding Freestyle restrictive. And when I panic about running out of points, I quit tracking and eat whatever (NOT their fault). I started tracking on MFP last week and am finding I get to eat more and stay within my calorie budget (5 of my 23 points for a 100 calorie yogurt bar was hard!). So...I do not blame WW, but it is not working for me anymore, and I don't need to throw my $$$ out the window each month.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds on Weight Watchers several years ago so I decided to try it again.

I think this tells you all you need to know; their system can work to help you lose weight but I don't think it sets you up for sustainability. In my judgement, one of the biggest advantages to using MFP is providing the visibility of the calorie, macro, and micro nutrient content of the foods you choose, helping to develop the habit of making positive choices.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,138 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Unfortunately, I am 209 at 5 foot 5 inches. Female. 38. I don't remember what I set it as. 2 pounds per week I think.

At your point, two pounds per week is probably okay. I started at almost the same place. Just accept that you are going to have days where you just can't stick to 1200. I got legit hunger at 1200, it's a hard place to be. 1500 is so much more manageable. So if you just can't stick to it, bump up to 1500-1600 and do that for a while, then you can drop back a bit if you want.

This is a fluid process. If you're miserable you won't stick to it. A huge part of this is psychological, so be gentle with yourself and understand that it's a lot easier if you don't make it harder than it needs to be. You will lose at 1500 - so just learn to use the database and take a walk for 30 minutes every day and you'll figure it out.
  • heatherrk45
    heatherrk45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just left WW myself about 3 or 4 months ago. I lost about 40lbs, before they changed to the Freestyle program. My frustration with them seemed to be the cost and everytime I'd get comfortable with their program, they'd change it up. I think MFP is much more straightforward...and cheaper...lol.
  • acravy79
    Options
    You make another good point @heatherrk45

The other thing with WW is they do change the rules yearly. :(
  • NHDaisy2
    NHDaisy2 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree with @cmriverside. If 1200 is too agressive for you add some calories you will still lose. I started with similar stats as you with a 1lb/week goal and the 1500+ was enough for me to feel satisfied most days. I just knew for me that I couldn't start off w/1200 as I knew I wouldn't stick with it.