would you consider cleaning a workout

Options
I seen a lot of people post it on my friends list. have you ever seen someone and think did they will but that as a workout?

Replies

• eversits
    eversits Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Cleaning burns a lot of calories. You are performing movements that you would do in an actual workout routine. It does count as a workout! So just feel free to count them into your schedule!!!
  • LimeyTart
    LimeyTart Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I put it down when it's not my normal weekly/daily tasks. Last week, I deep cleaned my house for 6 straight hours and I absolutely logged the burn from my bodymedia. I don't do that frequently and the sweat pouring off of me was enough to convince me that it was exercise LOL
  • rpearce519
    Options
    it is listed in the exercise database on here so i say yes:)
  • VenusEnvy
    VenusEnvy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I count it. Just completely scrubbed the bathroom and sweat is pouring off me!
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    I put it down when it's not my normal weekly/daily tasks. Last week, I deep cleaned my house for 6 straight hours and I absolutely logged the burn from my bodymedia. I don't do that frequently and the sweat pouring off of me was enough to convince me that it was exercise LOL

That is the same with me....if it is just a general day to day cleaning I do not log it but when I am burning up a sweat I log it :)
  • jellybeanjig
    Options
    I have been fairly sedentary for about 8 months. I had to stop my pt job in a cafeteria due to a ruptured disk in my neck and I had been limited in what I was doing at home. I still have days like that. So when I am up and moving I want to count it. I am thinking though as things get better, I will change my profile info so I am no longer lightly active, then I won't count most house work, only workouts. Just my thinking!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories.
    I have read that before 1960, the average American woman was burning over 1000 calories a day cleaning the house and doing laundry.
  • mrssday
    mrssday Posts: 3
    Options
    sweeping, vacuuming and mopping yes, doing the dished by hand no...lol. if you break a sweat doing it, it is a workout. what I do is underestimate my workouts, and overestimate my food consumption. I do not log in when I walk to the store, or when i clean the house. so that I know I am burning more calories than what I have logged. I do it this was so I will be pleasantly surprised when i weigh-in. I'll let you know if it works.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If the intent of the activity isn't exercise, I don't log it.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Ive seen people log hours of cooking as exercise. If it works for you, log it.
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    Yes I do. Scrubbing 3 bathrooms including floors and tubs, vacuuming and shampooing carpets (those steam cleaners are heavy going up and down the stairs when they are full). I plan my cleaning day just because when I do, I sweat like a mad woman so I do wear my workout clothes doing those deep cleaning chores.
  • kbizzleoo
    kbizzleoo Posts: 114
    Options
    Sometimes I clean for hours and I am drenched in sweat! I'm talking about scrubbing my tub, taking out my trash (long walk to the dumpster at my apartment and my trash is usually HEAVY and I keep having to put it down along the way), sweeping, mopping, scrubbing stuff, vacuuming, cleaning out the cat box, taking the poop (CAT LITER IS SOOO HEAVY) to the dumpster. It gets my heart rate up.

I only log it on days like that... and it usually happens about once every 2 weeks because during the week going to school me and my roommate tend to get a little messy and have to set about 5 hours aside on a saturday or sunday to clean. I usually don't do additional workouts on these days.
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    Yesterday I was in the kitchen making a years worth of homemade jam. I was standing up, walking around, lifting heavy things into and out of the water bath (not to mention the giant canner itself), and bending and squatting a lot picking stuff up. I was out of breath, sweaty and cranky when I was done. I logged that as exercise. If I had been making a quick weeknight dinner for three, no.

When I do a deep clean, and I spend more than 30 minutes slightly out of breath, and work up a sweat. I log it as exercise. A quick clean of the toilet bowl and swipe of the bathroom counters every other day, no.