What do y'all do on vacation?

Options
I'm not taking one this year, so I'm reliving last year's trip to help me relax. St Maarten was loaded with escargot, conch chowder and fritters, plantains, rice and peas... just beautiful islandy stuff. So do you do it with the phone app, or let it ride? NOTHING will stand between me and my conch!

Replies

• bubbab666
    Options
    I'll go to a place with a gym nearby and use it at least 3x /wk. I'll be walking TONS, exploring...
    So I break the diet for at least 1 meal per day, sometimes 2. I don't go hog-wild, because then when you return home you suddenly have twice as much work to do and that really sucks.
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Last trip I went on last year I ATE! Yup. Came back some pounds heavier but I can fit back into my clothes again lol.
    Luckily I don't live in the States or I would have an even harder time at losing weight haha
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I didn't calorie count in Vegas. I swam every day, walked a lot, and tried to make smart food decisions (which didn't always work). It's a good idea to have your vacation goal to be to maintain rather than lose, I think.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My kid went to an expensive camp this summer, so we are home bound too this summer.
    I am reliving our winter trip to Florida. Been going there for 25 years, best weather ever!
    Walked 5 miles a day(measured).
    Swam
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I live in an islandy sort of place (well ...a peninsula anyway) so I get those treats whenever the mood strikes me. I love it! That said, when I go on vacation, I try to find places that locals hang out and do everyday things. I love talking to people and getting a sense of their culture. So do a lot of observing and people seem compelled to talk to me often. I guess what I'm saying is... I just like to hang out and do whatever looks fun at the time.

mkay I totally missed the point of your post LOL SORRY! I don't count calories. I like to experience EVERYthing.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want, when you want, in the quantity you want.
    It's not like you go on vacation all the time.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I stayed home and painted my spare bathroom on my break, so I still tracked. Ah, the sad vacations of the penniless.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Vacation? What's that?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If it's just a weekend trip, I'll try to make healthy choices and attempt to use the hotel gym (I did it once, lol). I don't log because vacations always mean eating out and often not at well known chains that have nutritional info on line. But last year on my honeymoon in Jamaica, MFP who? The only exercise I did was walking between our room, the buffet and the pool. I had no guilt whatsoever when I piled on the most awesome, fattening whip cream on my french toast each and every morning (I didn't even like the french toast all that much, just got it so I didn't have to obviously pile the whipped cream right on my plate).

Of course, when I got home and the months that followed were so not good....but I can't blame that on Jamaica. If I had to do it over, I would do things the same way, there is no way I could log and restrict and worry about working out while on my honeymoon.
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    When I go on vacation, I typically will attempt to make healthy choices - I do fill out my diary (no matter HOW bad it is) and try not to go over my calories (but, if it happens, that's perfectly fine - I just try not to overdo it and try to eat some extra veggies and limit dessert). I also make sure I exercise every day, even if it's just going for a walk or swim. The last vacation I went on, I visited my sister in California for a week and ate all kinds of food (Italian, Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.) AND drank a bunch of wine (we went to the vineyards) but I made good choices and exercised, and when I came back I had miraculously lost 2 lbs! I didn't feel deprived at all! Now, I'm waiting until I go on a cruise or something and THAT may be another story!
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    well i'll be going to Disney this year so i know i'll be walking A LOT........as for eating...im not going to stress if i have a nice meal out and don't count...just sayin', vacation is vacation. as long as you get back on when you get back and don't go back to your old ways - i think you deserve a little break now and then.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I plan to have a week's beach holiday in Portugal next month and I wont be calorie counting (I probably wont even be able to log in)

I will make sure I swim every day for at least an hour and I will stick to healthy choices when and where possible (Portugal is very coastal so lots of fresh, healty food!)

I will let my hair down a bit though and allow myself a few glasses of wine in the evening!
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I like to lie on the beach and do as little as possible! I do swim every day though, both in the pool and in the sea. We're going to Cyprus in September and I can't wait. I won't be calorie counting while i'm there though, I'm going to enjoy the food, take my gain with good grace and get back to it on my return. For me on a holiday abroad the food is a MASSIVE part of the holiday. We always try to walk in the evening too.