Has anyone actually lost weight from walking/running??

Options
I know it sounds silly and I understand everyone does what works best for them. I just started walking...briskly and jogging (daily)...and I am just curious to know if anyone else has had success with weight/fat loss from walking and running! Outside of that I just got serious last week with moving forward to a healthier version of me. I purchased a food scale and have been weighing and logging everything I eat and now I am incorporating daily exercise which just happens to be walking/jogging since its easy and free haha! I'm down 1lb! :D:D

Replies

• REDMANIV
    REDMANIV Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @Ayesha0624 to answer your question directly. You probably will not lose much weight simply by walking alone. However combined with accurately tracking your calorie intake as you are doing and being consistent with your exercise you can certainly take off quite a bit of weight. My wife (Who I am amazed by) is 46 years young and has recently started back with weight watchers. She does not work out at all however she is a Pharmacy Technician and consistently logs over 10K steps per day while doing her job in the hospital. In 10 short weeks she has erased 20 pounds simply by staying active at work and tracking her food intake. She is definitely NOT a runner, does not touch any weights or do any other sort of fitness however the weight is melting off of her. She has inspired me to attack my bowling ball belly and to make some changes with my diet. I am into exercise and have just seriously began reading books to explain how the body works and how different foods affect our bodies. The saying "Knowledge is Power" is definitely true. I am a type 2 diabetic and my doctor encourages me to go on a 20 minute walk everyday. I go for much longer walks than prescribed and I have noticed the things are much better for me health wise when I get my walks in. I live in a hilly area so I can pick different levels of walks to go on from flat to pretty extreme inclines. Your body will let you know what works best for you so stay in touch with it and keep on moving forward. Congrats on your 1 pound off! Many more to come!
  • HealthyDee913
    HealthyDee913 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sprinting and weight training will help; at least that has been my experience. I have run several marathons and discovered that long distance running without the strength training is not the equation for weight/fat loss… For me! However, I have a friend who lost 50 pounds by incorporating a mile day for six months… She was heavier than I was, so that may have something to do with it! Well wishes on your journey chickadee!

On another note, I just purchased food scale at the start of the New Year and it has been an eye opener!
    Let’s go!
  • fuzzy_l0gic
    fuzzy_l0gic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Like many have said, logging is real important. For 2 years of walking, without MFP, I lost 1-2lbs. per month. After 3 months of walking, with MFP, 4lbs per month
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Great question, OP! I think the kind of exercise you're describing can trigger weight loss, in that you feel better, you've got a bigger caloric deficit, and can lead to better choices. But from my own personal experience, I walked briskly/jogged for YEARS without weight loss which was so frustrating for me. It wasn't until I began logging food and aiming for a deficit that I finally lost my 30 lbs. I've heard some people say that running suppresses their appetite. That has NEVER happened to me. My appetite goes through the roof with any exercise at all. I have to be even more vigilant with calorie counting when I'm working out. But, everyone's different, and I wish you luck and great success on your journey!!!
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Ayesha0624 wrote: »
    I know it sounds silly and I understand everyone does what works best for them. I just started walking...briskly and jogging (daily)...and I am just curious to know if anyone else has had success with weight/fat loss from walking and running! Outside of that I just got serious last week with moving forward to a healthier version of me. I purchased a food scale and have been weighing and logging everything I eat and now I am incorporating daily exercise which just happens to be walking/jogging since its easy and free haha! I'm down 1lb! :D:D

Hi there, If you eat whole foods, not crap and stay in a deficit, you will lose weight. Add walking/running to it and you will lose even more and firm up and it will be good for your heart, body and mind.

fify

What is fify?
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am getting fit by walking and biking. I lose weight by counting calories. It's a good combo. I like non stressful workouts, and walking is perfect.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    exercise for your health. eat at a calorie deficit for weight loss. quebot said. great combo.