How long to exercise for beginners

At first I started with 15 minutes a day so I wouldn't start out to fast and gradually go up but I gained 4 pounds.
When you first started exercising how long did you exercise and how often a week?
Greatly appeciate any responses.
Add me if you like, I need as much motivation as I can get.

Replies

• Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Muscle! =D You will fluctuate because your building muscle and your body is changing with your workouts, don't get discouraged just keep going! and when I started it was 4 days a week! =D
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    I started exercising about a month ago and i decided biking would be the best exercise because walking bores me and running just isn't an option(too many injuries to the ankles) and I bike 10-12 miles a day and it takes me about 60 minutes and i go 6 or 7 days a week. I also started doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred 10 days ago and that is about 28 minutes long and 7 days a week.

i really recommend biking if you already have a bike, as long as you keep a good pace and go for about an hour it's a really good burn and i personally really enjoy it. I average about 12mph currently, which isn't fantastic but it's not too bad for a beginner.
  • The thought is "muscle weighs more than fat" 3 to 1. You need to do measurements so you can see what you loose in inches. Weighing on a scale is deceiving. Also, weigh same time with same clothing or birthday suit!

You are right to gradually increase exercise! Don't quit!
  • spa9177
    spa9177 Posts: 327 Member
    When I started exercising I worked for 45 mins to an hour 3 times a week. I figured if I wanted my body to change I needed to pump it up. I hope this helps and good luck.

3926935.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • You're starting off at 15 minutes a day, I'd say that's good to start. It will get easier as you keep at it. I still have "temporary slumps" in my diet where I feel like my weight loss slows down. Of course the minute I say that I drop another pound and I'm back in the motions.

8379810.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    I started with 10 minutes per day. Then worked my way up to 20 minutes... now I can do 2 hours on days when I have the time and barely feel fatigued.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    It take a while for muscle to build I don't think if you just started and your exercising 15 minutes a day you have made muscle yet. I exercise 60 minutes a day 6 days a week.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    I started at an hour twice a week water aerobics and walking as much as I could, often not long (30mins). As soon as I felt comfortable, I added a day. I now aim for 5 days a week, but will go daily if possible.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    I'm currently doing an hour at least every other day and I'm just starting out too. I joined a challenge to motivate me to move at least that much - can't let the teammates down you know!

The first half hour is easy. The last 5 minutes is freakin' hard. When it starts becoming easier to do, then I will know it is time to step it up.
  • alexg94
    alexg94 Posts: 44
    What exercises are you doing?
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    I joined a gym 3 weeks ago, and I'm already going 6 days a week, for anywhere from 1-2.5 hours.

Of course, I haven't lost any significant weight in that time, so I am not one to ask... lol