Intermittent fasting...I am sure this has been discussed prior but...

Options
kds10
kds10 Posts: 452 Member
...I have started to implement this into my life. It is not as bad as I thought, I do 16 hour fast daily with an 8 hour eating window. Although I was reading that for women they should do a 10 hour eating window instead but I am kind of getting used to the 16 - 8, so not sure yet if I should switch it. I finish supper at 5:30 and no morsal of food until 9:30 the next morning.

I like it, I feel more in control of me eating and yes before bed I am hungry and until I eat mid morning I am hungry as well but other than being uncomfortable it is manageable. On the weekend we went out for buffet and for many years I would use the build up to knowing that there is a function coming up to blow it until after that day then start fresh...this is how I gained weight. Now since I implemented IF I did not do that...I had a light breakfast mid morning then the buffet, light supper then fasted the rest of the evening, night and late morning. I find it seems so much easier than my years of all or nothing, trying this or that. I have 30 lbs to lose.

Anybody else do Intermittent fasting?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I am, but I haven't formalized it, so I just eat meals. I eat breakfast around 10, lunch around 1, dinner around 5. Structure, good habits, routines, eating partly on autopilot. But because meal timing is just a tool, and too rigid rules is a recipe for failure, I just use this setup as a rough guide. It sounds so silly to call eating every day "fasting", but maybe people really are used to eating all the time.
  • Urbancowbarn
    Urbancowbarn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do 16/8. It works well for me and helps me stay within my calorie goals. I’m a woman and have heard women may do better Fasting for 15 rather than 16 hours, but I’ve tried both and didn’t notice a difference.
  • KSJR78
    KSJR78 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Im just doing the research but currently my eating pattern is 16/8 so I figured Id look into IF and its benefits.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    KSJR78 wrote: »
    Im just doing the research but currently my eating pattern is 16/8 so I figured Id look into IF and its benefits.
    What does "looking into IF" mean, when you're already doing it (or are you eating for 16 hours and fasting for 8?), and what benefits are you referring to?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options

If you like eating that way and it helps you meet your goals, it is of considerable benefit.
  • KSJR78
    Options
    It is my eating pattern however I do drink cream in my coffee which Im seeing some say it doesnt break your fast and others say it does. I was looking into the rules for fasting. Up until a few days ago I didnt know about IF or that it was what I was basically doing but at that time it wasnt done for any particular reason. Now Im trying it deliberately and waiting to see what if any benefits I notice.
  • KSJR78
    Options
    Fasting for 16, (at least)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    "If you like eating that way and it helps you meet your goals, it is of considerable benefit" means that the fact that it helps you meet your goals IS the most important and worthwhile benefit.

If you're spending your time and energy on IF in order to achieve some (unspecified and relatively magical) benefit beyond being best able to meet your goals, I submit that it would be more profitable to spend your time and energy coin elsewhere.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    It is my eating pattern however I do drink cream in my coffee which Im seeing some say it doesnt break your fast and others say it does.
    If you're taking in calories, you're breaking your fast. And it makes no difference, to anything!
    I was looking into the rules for fasting.
    Simple. Fasting = "not eating"! But there is no intermittent fasting police! You can eat whenever you like!
    Up until a few days ago I didnt know about IF or that it was what I was basically doing but at that time it wasnt done for any particular reason. Now Im trying it deliberately and waiting to see what if any benefits I notice.
    If there are any benefits of doing something, you'll get those benefits, regardless if you're doing it deliberately or not!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    When I was a kid, it didn’t have a fancy name or definition. It was simply called, skipping breakfast. Not sure why everyone makes a big deal out of it.

But now it's a fad and people have discovered that they can give it a name and make magical claims and write books about it and make money and stuff.

It's really sad making, isn't it? Those of us who have been skipping breakfast for years can sum it up quite simply: we're less hungry throughout the day when we do that, so that's what we do. End of story. No magic woo involved.

But I guess that's not sexy enough. I guess that's pretty much a sentence you could write about all of the accurate information about dieting and fitness, though.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman and I have no trouble sticking to an 18:6 schedule. I usually eat between 1pm - 7pm. AKA skipping breakfast. No ill effects.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    When I was a kid, it didn’t have a fancy name or definition. It was simply called, skipping breakfast. Not sure why everyone makes a big deal out of it.

But now it's a fad and people have discovered that they can give it a name and make magical claims and write books about it and make money and stuff.

It's really sad making, isn't it? Those of us who have been skipping breakfast for years can sum it up quite simply: we're less hungry throughout the day when we do that, so that's what we do. End of story. No magic woo involved.

But I guess that's not sexy enough. I guess that's pretty much a sentence you could write about all of the accurate information about dieting and fitness, though.

basically lol. Once i begin eating i just want to keep eating. So i just put off eating. Easy. No magic fairy dust no fancy names needed its just how i eat. I fail to see why its become such a big thing lol
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm also a woman that only eats 6-8 hours a day with no issues. It just helps me keep my calorie deficit..
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I only did IF to eat bigger meals, like many have said, it's nothing special. No diet is special, diets are only tools that can help us, but nothing more. No diets cause greater fat loss than another calorie for calorie. I did IF on my last cut and it wasn't any different than my previous cuts without it. I didn't lose fat at a better or faster rate, it was equal. All IF did to me is make my caloric deficit less miserable than my previous cutting where I was eating 5-6 small meals.
  • lize_bird
    lize_bird Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Haha!

I used to think this but realized I DO eat breakfast... but really late!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kds10 wrote: »
    ...I have started to implement this into my life. It is not as bad as I thought, I do 16 hour fast daily with an 8 hour eating window. Although I was reading that for women they should do a 10 hour eating window instead but I am kind of getting used to the 16 - 8, so not sure yet if I should switch it. I finish supper at 5:30 and no morsal of food until 9:30 the next morning.

I like it, I feel more in control of me eating and yes before bed I am hungry and until I eat mid morning I am hungry as well but other than being uncomfortable it is manageable. On the weekend we went out for buffet and for many years I would use the build up to knowing that there is a function coming up to blow it until after that day then start fresh...this is how I gained weight. Now since I implemented IF I did not do that...I had a light breakfast mid morning then the buffet, light supper then fasted the rest of the evening, night and late morning. I find it seems so much easier than my years of all or nothing, trying this or that. I have 30 lbs to lose.

Anybody else do Intermittent fasting?

If you are hungry in the morning then you should stop. The only reason to skip breakfast is if you are not hungry and/or if eating breakfast makes you hungrier through the day. Why be uncomfortable without a reason?

I have skipped breakfast since the mid 90's and I have gained PLENTY of weight in that time. I continue to skip breakfast now that I am dieting because eating it does indeed make me hungrier.

Most people that eat 3 meals at the standard times are probably 12:12 or close to it. What exactly to you think happens in the extra 4 hours that doesn't happen in the previous 12?

IF as a diet is not a real thing. Sometimes I think it is a prank to see how many people will fall for it. If you think about it everyone that eats and then stops for any period of time is intermittently fasting.

The only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit.