Living With People That Buy Lots of Tempting Snack Foods

How do you cope? So far, I have been able to work some temptation into my calorie allowance for the day. But, I prefer to use my calorie "dollars" ("$"1200/day) for healthy stuff, because I know I need the nutrients.
But man, I just went to get a bottled water, and there was a new box of something fattening and non-nutritious.
(How do roomies handle it? They eat those foods instead of lean protein, veggies and complex carbs. I'm eating baked salmon and steamed veggies and quinoa, and they are eating Jelly Bellys, Snickers Bars, fried take away and biscuits. So, they may also be on low calorie eating plans, just different end games.)

I feel anti-social taking my meal into my room to avoid the tempting sights and odors. But what else can I do. I don't feel right dictating what they can purchase and bring home.

Replies

• bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Is this a roommate situation? I just kind of ignored any food that wasn’t mine when I was sharing space with roommates. If I didn’t buy it, I didn’t eat it.

Living with my family that indulges in treats more often than I’d like to, I kind of just eat what fits in my day and try to ignore the goodies when they don’t fit.

It’s not always easy and when I feel myself hankering, I try to make room in my day for it to head off a binge.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    edited April 2018
    bethannien wrote: »
    Is this a roommate situation? I just kind of ignored any food that wasn’t mine when I was sharing space with roommates. If I didn’t buy it, I didn’t eat it.

Living with my family that indulges in treats more often than I’d like to, I kind of just eat what fits in my day and try to ignore the goodies when they don’t fit.

It’s not always easy and when I feel myself hankering, I try to make room in my day for it to head off a binge.

This is what I do too. I also try to keep some of my favourite lower-calorie treats in the house at all times, too, for those times I feel tempted. Usually I can manage my cravings with these tricks!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    I couldn't. I live alone. I don't know what I'd do if I was around it all the time.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    I have 3 kids and a hubby so my house is loaded with snacks. It does not bother me in the slightest as I eat them too but make them fit within my calorie allowance. I don't go overboard... in moderation.

PS Love snickers. Had that yesterday nd the day before. It's super filling and delicious!
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    I have 3 kids and a hubby so my house is loaded with snacks. It does not bother me in the slightest as I eat them too but make them fit within my calorie allowance. I don't go overboard... in moderation.

PS Love snickers. Had that yesterday nd the day before. It's super filling and delicious!

Ditto. And my desire to lose weight is far greater than my desire for haribo or cheesy wotsits. I make room for chocolate in my daily allowance and have that in the evening when kids are in bed. :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    I've shared accommodation most of my adult life, like someone else said above, I would never consider eating someone else's food because it's not mine. I buy my own stuff, cook my own meals and my flatmates do the same. I've lived with people who are at both extreme ends of eating - ones that eat nothing but takeaways/high calorie food and ones that live on super "clean eating" regiments.

You do you! If you're feel you're struggling and super tempted review how restrictive you're being, is 1200 really right for you, is it too aggressive for the amount of weight you have to lose? Are your restricting foods unnecessarily and thus craving them instead of just managing your intake?
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    living with a family that buys a LOT of sweet and salty snacks (meant for everyone, not any specific person unless specified - for example, softer cookies for my mom who had some dental issues) while on 1200-1300 calories sucks... but, I tend to eat small amounts of it and put the rest back in the cupboard
    It's hard not to overeat sometimes though, especially when I get one of those "I'm really craving something sugary" days, which *always* happens 1-2 days before that time of month for me
    My boyfriend, who's kinda a skinny fat (low weight but a bit soft all over) , will devour a whole 2000+kcal chocolate cake for dinner after skipping lunch... or basically live off of chicken nuggets and fries or doughnuts for days.. with literally zero exercise apart from walking to the bus station to go to work... I just have to remind myself it's 1) not really my business what he eats 2) other people have different goals and calorie needs than I do

If it bothers you that much though, could you have a separate drawer/part of the cupboard just for your food so you don't have to look at their snacks every time you go to grab something?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Living with a roommate, I wouldn't eat their food anyway, and I'd start telling myself it's not yours if you were in the habit of doing so. When my sister was living with me for a bit her food never even registered with me. If a spouse, harder, but it might be possible to do shared food and then some treats you both get for yourself that the other is not to touch.

Beyond that, there's junk at my workplace constantly (which is actually the place I tend to have more trouble controlling myself than at home (work for me can mean I struggle with stress eating or "it's late and I've been working on this project with inadequate help, I deserve a treat"), at home I can just cook a good meal. My response is either to decide it's not worth the calories or to fit it in in smaller amounts. When I really think about it, a lot of so called junk isn't even that good IMO, although of course some things are.

Best thing for me is to get out of the habit of snacking and just eat regular meals, and then I tend not to care about treats that just appear.
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    My fiance isn't really on the healthy band wagon, so he eats meals and snacks that have me drooling all the time.

It's certainly not easy and while I try to incorporate tastier treats into my daily macros, the portion control part always has me feeling resentful. For me though, this is the part of the weight loss journey where my commitment is tested and I have to remind myself of my goals. There's a bit of willpower at work but also the understanding that if I stay the course, I will reach my goals and that will be much more satisfying than the sleeve of cookies I'm wanting to have in that moment.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    It is hard with roommates b/c everyone shares the spaces, the fridge and the pantry. Just remember that you are doing this for you and whatever they are eating has nothing to do with you.
    I used to live with my brother and sister and neither one of their food choices were great. I was also hyper-focused and ate salmon and edemame every night during my first year of weight loss. Once I decided I didn't care what tempting food they had then it didn't matter, but getting over that hump was hard. Keep some healthy snacks around so if you need to be "tempted" you'll choose something better than the junk food.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Just think ahead in the future and your roommates having to go to multiple doctors visits and taking pills for their ailments from eating junk food.

Then there’s you in stellar health, physically strong living your life not dictated by doctor visits or poor health.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Lots of good tips! Thank you for replies.