Anyone else feel like 1200 cals is alot

Options
13»

Replies

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I had an issue with anorexia in the past but a long time ago. Perhaps all this calorie counting is bringing some of that stuff back up again For me

Could well be. Do seek professional help.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    i can get by on 1200 and never had an issue but i do enjoy days i get more. Food is delicious xD If your actually struggling to hit 1200 your diet is to boring and youve cut to much out. simple. If we struggled to hit 1200 wed never be fat in order to need a diet. I agree its likely your obsessive anorexia side popping its head out again excited at how little you can eat. Please dont let that side win that side is not your friend
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    I always find it hard to believe that overweight people have a hard time reaching 1200 or 1500 calories when they go on diets, I mean if it were that easy you probably wouldn't have been overweight in the first place. And I don't say this to be mean, but to make people actually think about it, and seeing if it's actually true, or if they are missing something.

That was me 10 years ago though, when I first tried to diet... once you removed the calorie dense soda and chocolate and replaced some of the bread, rice, potatoes...etc with vegetables I was left with a really low amount of calories... until I got it more balanced, anyway

My (sedentary) maintenance when obese was 1900-2000 calories, roughly... so if you remove the 500 calories or so that was candy/soda, then another 300-400 that was white bread or fries... and replace that with steamed vegetables, in addition to replacing some of your regular pork and fattier/fried meat with chicken/turkey breast... let's just say it took a while to stop feeling either stuffed or starving and get my diet more balanced, with an appropriate amounts of calories

For me personally, a large part of it was due to the *types* of food (calorie dense vs low calorie) rather than the volume of food (aka candy bar vs a huge bowl of salad)

I don't restrict types of food now - but it took a while to basically re-learn how to eat

I had this issue as well. I did struggle to reach 1200 calories, sometimes. But it was because I removed all the high calorie "junk" from my diet and I was trying to replace it with veggies and chicken breasts. It took a while to learn the balance. Once I relearned how to eat and make wise food choices I had no problem hitting 1200 calories or more.

OP- I would definitely talk with your treatment team, as others said. All of this could be triggering past behaviors. Best of luck to you!!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I always find it hard to believe that overweight people have a hard time reaching 1200 or 1500 calories when they go on diets, I mean if it were that easy you probably wouldn't have been overweight in the first place. And I don't say this to be mean, but to make people actually think about it, and seeing if it's actually true, or if they are missing something.

That was me 10 years ago though, when I first tried to diet... once you removed the calorie dense soda and chocolate and replaced some of the bread, rice, potatoes...etc with vegetables I was left with a really low amount of calories... until I got it more balanced, anyway

My (sedentary) maintenance when obese was 1900-2000 calories, roughly... so if you remove the 500 calories or so that was candy/soda, then another 300-400 that was white bread or fries... and replace that with steamed vegetables, in addition to replacing some of your regular pork and fattier/fried meat with chicken/turkey breast... let's just say it took a while to stop feeling either stuffed or starving and get my diet more balanced, with an appropriate amounts of calories

For me personally, a large part of it was due to the *types* of food (calorie dense vs low calorie) rather than the volume of food (aka candy bar vs a huge bowl of salad)

I don't restrict types of food now - but it took a while to basically re-learn how to eat

I had this issue as well. I did struggle to reach 1200 calories, sometimes. But it was because I removed all the high calorie "junk" from my diet and I was trying to replace it with veggies and chicken breasts. It took a while to learn the balance. Once I relearned how to eat and make wise food choices I had no problem hitting 1200 calories or more.

OP- I would definitely talk with your treatment team, as others said. All of this could be triggering past behaviors. Best of luck to you!!

The thing about this kind of drastic change (from eating everything in sight including junk food to "clean eating" or eliminating all the junk, white carbs, fried foods...) is that not everyone can sustain it forever. So if you manage to eat 1200 calories like this, and you don't ENJOY the food, what happens a few months down the line when you get invited to a dinner or party with delicious food? Sometimes people can handle it, but if they have been depriving themselves of foods they enjoy sometimes go crazy when they reintroduce that food.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »

The thing about this kind of drastic change (from eating everything in sight including junk food to "clean eating" or eliminating all the junk, white carbs, fried foods...) is that not everyone can sustain it forever. So if you manage to eat 1200 calories like this, and you don't ENJOY the food, what happens a few months down the line when you get invited to a dinner or party with delicious food? Sometimes people can handle it, but if they have been depriving themselves of foods they enjoy sometimes go crazy when they reintroduce that food.

So true!! I managed to find the balance but it definitely was not easy to learn how to do things the right way. It was an eye opener for sure. Very easy to see how so many people deprive themselves, struggle and then go right back to old habits. Fortunately for me, I do have a lot of discipline and once I learned moderation it worked out for me. I finally learned that I can have some cookies, not all the cookies. Hard to break that all or nothing mentality!
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think I'd be so hangry, I'd start eating people if I was restricted to 1200. That's really not very much food
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I also have had an ED (eating disorder). But also for me lately I find I am eating healthier/lower calorie foods so I feel full faster because I am eating MORE as far as mass or size. Like one burger vs a huge salad. The salad is less calories but more filling. Did you change what you're eating and if so could that be part of it also?
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight up till now (19 lbs) on 1230/day. It’s what MyFitnessPal gave me to lose a pound/week. I’m older, 5’2” and lightly active. I switched to a half pound a week a couple days ago, which gave me more calories but I’m finding that I’m comfortable somewhere in between the two numbers.
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you think 1200 is a lot... What were you eating before you were counting calories? Lol. How did you get to the point where you wanted to lose weight, if you think 1200 is so much?