Protein shake?

Options
My boyfriend just got some whey protein shake mix, does this stuff actually help out?

Replies

• jrcox520
    jrcox520 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I use it just as a supplement to help reach protein goals. Mixed with water its only so-so, but mixed with milk it can be a good snack. I like to pair it with carrots for my afternoon snack.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Of course it does! Protein is great for you..and it helps keep you full.

When you say "help" --- what do you mean though? Is he trying to bulk up? The type I buy certainly wouldn't do that as I don't want to drink a zillion calories/carbs a day....but it does up my protein and its healthy and gives you energy.

It all depends on the brand and the type.... if its mostly whey protein concentrate its not nearly as good as something that is 100%whey protein isolate. Just read the label, it should have almost no sugar/carbs and at least 20-30g protein a scoop and usually under 150 calories.

(Edit nothing I wrote above applies if you're trying to GAIN weight or bulk up)
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    Muscle milk and muscle milk light have better taste :-)
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    protein helps build muscle, muscle burns fat = win win
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I find whey protein very satisfying when mixed with diet soda..
    According to me(and my Dr confirmed), excess protein makes you lose a great deal of water weight and therefore you are lighter and feel thinner.
    It also helps if you are working out alot. If you aren't working out alot then I wouldn't bother.
  • arissfive
    arissfive Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yes, protein drinks really help, especially after exercise, it helps build muscle, and gets rid of fat!
  • solflyer81
    solflyer81 Posts: 119
    Options
    As a female you may want to check your protein consumption before you add a whey protein to your diet. Your body can only process so much protein in a sitting, anything in excess becomes wasted. Myself I get a huge amount of protein in my diet and dont feel the need for a whey protein shake. I do however use a super fruit/super veggies mix that also has a decent amount of protein in it. For me i feel the health benefits of the well rounded shake far surpass that of just a protein shake. I m also very very muscular though. If you are not very muscular at all, and feel that this is the way you need to go ( or are lacking in protein substantially) then you should totally go for it.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Protein helps rebuild muscles after workouts! I feel a huge difference...not as soar after a workout. Mixing with milk is always delicious.