High protein snacks

Options
alexmose
alexmose Posts: 792 Member
Hi all! What are your high protein snack ideas!! Not looking for anything too high in calories though. Right now I do Greek yogurt but that’s starting to get boring. So bring those ideas!

Replies

• alexmose
    Options
    I don't snack, and I have protein foods as part of all my meals, so I don't need any special foods.

But I struggle to hit protein goal.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    But what is your protein goal (grams, as well as percentage), and how far away are you?
  • alexmose
    Options
    It’s pretty high but I really wanted to up my protein intake to build some muscle. So 150g. I eat so much chicken and Greek yogurt tho so that’s getting old. I have shrimp but I’m looking for something during that 3pm slump. I’ve also cut out nuts and nut butter bc I tend to overeat those items.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    150 grams seems excessive, I think that's why you struggle. You could eat other meats, and fish and eggs; cheese and milk, not just yogurt; beans and pulses are good vegetarian protein sources.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Skyr . Even more protein per spoonful than the Greek yoghurt.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't snack often, since I have a medium calorie goal and like larger meals.

However, once in awhile I like to grab a fairlife milk, 11.5 oz for 170 cal, primarily because it tastes good to me (even though I normally just use almond milk at home), it has less sugar than most dairy milk and 19g protein which to me is pretty high-protein.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I snack. A lot. My go-tos are Greek yogurt (sounds like you've had enough of that, tho!), cottage cheese, kefir, tuna mix with crackers or on bread, jerky, hard-boiled egg, protein bars, and protein powder in coffee. Those are my primary snacks, but I also eat a fair amount of quinoa and bean salads or fritters, as well as lentils. Those turn up more in meals than snacks, tho.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Skyr . Even more protein per spoonful than the Greek yoghurt.

When I looked at the nutrients in the shop I was sure it's protein content was less than others but looking online it seems that is wrong. Will have to check again next time I'm shopping
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Hb eggs.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    String Cheese, protein bars (Quest seems to have the highest protein for the calories), a tuna packet, Enlighten roasted broad beans, and roasted chickpeas.

Seeing that your goal is high, make sure you are getting a protein source at every meal and snack. You are going to get really bored with chicken, shrimp, and Greek yogurt. Try adding some different protein sources to the mix.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,761 Member
    Options
    String Cheese, protein bars (Quest seems to have the highest protein for the calories), a tuna packet, Enlighten roasted broad beans, and roasted chickpeas.

Seeing that your goal is high, make sure you are getting a protein source at every meal and snack. You are going to get really bored with chicken, shrimp, and Greek yogurt. Try adding some different protein sources to the mix.

Such as some from the spreadsheet in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • swilkins49412
    swilkins49412 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My s/o just had bariatric surgery. He needs high protein, low calorie foods. I found this recipe for chicken muffins on youtube. (Don't laugh at the name, they are tasty, easy to make and hit all his nutritional needs. 14 grams of protein with less than 100 calories and all real food...no fake whey powder, etc. I've attached the link, so check them out!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZdvVAyabm4
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Have you tried mixing in some SF FF pudding mix into your yogurt? I've been having that as my afternoon snack/prework out and it's so good.

I like string cheese and beef jerky too.

I'm at 130g of protein and I still find myself easily going over. When my coach first assigned me 100g, I was so grateful I was able to swap out some carb grams because I naturally want to consume alll the protein haha

• Uneeknitter
    Uneeknitter Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hemp seeds, cheese (some are higher proteins than others), jerky, wasabi peas, hard boiled eggs, good quality turkey lunch meat rolled around cream cheese or goat cheese and green onions, or bacon (we use turkey bacon) wrapped asparagus.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't crave protein, so I work really hard to get it in early so I am not trying to play catch up later in the day . I make an egg Mc Muffin with Canadian bacon, an egg, and an egg white for breakfast. With cheese, it comes in at about 21 grams. Also, cheese stick wrapped in deli meat. Lastly, a protein shake.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs, and egg whites. As well as Greek Yogurt for lunch and a bedtime snack.