Diary of a meat eater...

Options
I'm a meat eater - there's no getting around it, especially red meat. What's the least "bad for me" meat? I'm looking in the paper for sales but there's so much in here and I dont know what's alright and what I should stay away from!

Replies

• _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    When I ate meat it was pretty much only boneless skinless chicken breasts or salmon or shrimp.
  • sdrlatg
    sdrlatg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    there's really no "best meat"... but if you shoot for lean cuts, with very little fat, that would be your best bet... good luck :)
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I used to be a meat eater... I'm not a vegetarian and I still eat meat but normally about 3 or 4 times a week maximum and mostly either fish meat or chicken/turkey skinless breasts. I cut completely on red meat and processed meats.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Here are a few:

Chicken breast
    Turkey breast
    Lean ground turkey
    Swordfish
    Orange roughy
    Haddock
    Salmon
    Tuna
    Crab
    Lobster
    Shrimp
    Top round steak
    Top sirloin steak
    Lean ground beef
    Buffalo
    Lean ham
    Trout
    Wild-game meat
    Turkey Bacon

(taken from the "authorized foods" link in my sig)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want.. its just moderation is the key
  • gurlondrums
    Options
    I'm a big meat fan too. For red meat, I like steaks, the leanest cuts I know of are the top sirloin or the new york strip. I love ribeyes but they're marbled. You gotta really search for sales though, they can get pretty high up in prices. $4.99 a lb is the best I've seen.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    good! meat is good for you. Eat chicken, turkey and fish more, but red meat, lamb and pork is PERFECTLY OK! don't listen to anyone tell you it's not. Just don't eat 10 pounds of it lol. You do have to it smaller amounts because it is fattier.
  • kiki75243
    kiki75243 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For the most part I mainly eat fish and chicken. I haven't given up the others completely but I limit them...
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I eat all kinds of meat (beef, pork, poultry) and fish....and I do fine. I just try to always get the leanest cuts. For ground beef I always get 93/7 or better and I stick to chicken breast and extra lean pork tenderloin. I dont think you necessarily need to stay away from anything as long as you can get it lean.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    also, Pants.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Well....chicken is good to have....but FYI I would cut red meat down to at least once a week......we are real meat eaters.....and my bf just got gout from eating too much red meat and beer. It was the most pain full experience he has had. It could happen to anyone...we ignored what the doctor kept telling us! Red meat now once a week for use only!
  • BeckyRayJohnson
    Options
    We are a family of meat eaters as well and I personally am so sick and tired of chicken I could scream every time we have it.lol. I have found that very lean meat in any kind with moderate to small portions is fine. I try to eat fish at least once a week, chicken one to two and pork one and the rest are beef with out fail. I eat lean roast, lean burger ..small amounts like on burger or a couple of normal size meatballs. I don't think of red meat as being forbidden just not what you want to eat every day and not the fattier (tastier lol) cuts. So no fatty pot roast with the grease swimming in the "gravy" and veggies.Its easy to see..a light marble to the steaks so it is tender or slow cooked very very lean. No fatty wrap around and no obvious large chunks of it. I hope I have been helpful. I can not get this family to forgo the beef and I would curl up and die I think if I had to say farewell to it to lose. Just use moderation and the lean cuts. Choose your cooking style for a more healthy way too. Grill, roast, bake...no frying and no heavy gravy. AT least not every day. :)
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    There are tons of GREAT meat, meat gives you protein, with protein you build muscle and burn more calories when you are doing nothing. I love meat too I eat a ton of chicken, fish, turkey and lean beef. Meat is wonderful for you so it is great that you do eat it. Chicken and fish are my staples I eat them almost everyday. Lean beef is something i eat on occasion only because it tends to get expensive. Ground turkey is great too and tuna is my favorite because it is cheap and good for you.
  • jadorepetite
    Options
    I used to be a heavy meat eater O: Especially red meat. I think you can still have meat, but try to limit your intake on red meat. Instead, have lean cut meats like chicken, turkey, etc.
  • SouthCoastSaint
    Options
    Kangaroo Meat - but obviously subject to availability on your continent!

The contestants on Australian TBL use it.

Although I'm not keen on eating one of our national emblems! :P

9698616.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    We eat meat for every meal of the week. Several times a day generally.

Chicken breast
    Ribeye
    Boneless chuck steaks (we use for fajitas)
    Extra lean ground beef
    Turkey burgers

We only have red meat a few times a week but only because it is generally fattier than other meats. We have chicken breast more than anything.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    save the prime rib for special occasions - that's VERY fattening and artery clogging too, I think
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Filet mignon is going to be one of the leanest steaks you can eat, prime rib is way more fatty for sure.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Canadian Bacon.
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    Bison is red, lean, and really tastey. It's a good clean eating meat.