Tomato-tomahto, a no- go. Replacement?

Options
Hey there Fitness Pals!

Just found the site and loving all the recipes, success stories and just the community that ya'll seem to have built for yourselves.

Here is my question: I am allergic to tomatoes and I can't seem to find a good replacement for when they are called in a recipe. *Does not include tomato sauce, my system seems to be able to tolerate it after it's been so heavily processed.

I would like to replace tomatoes in recipes instead of ripping it of nutrients, any ideas?

xoxo Doll

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Often I have pasta, prepared plain with a small amount of olive oil. If you want you can sprinkle a small amount of freshly grated parmesan cheese.
    When I was a child, my mom used to use a small amount of butter in lieu of sauce sometimes.
    When you boil the pasta add a teaspoon of lemon juice. It helps the water boil at a higher temp and adds flavor.

In Europe, lemons can be used to make a pasta sauce, but the lemons grown in the US aren't pulpy enough.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    sounds like you have oral allergy syndrome (as i do too)

what about squash?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have used cooked and purreed pumpkin instead of tomato puree in recipes before. Of course it changes the whole taste of the recipe, but it works pretty well for lots of pasta recipes, lasagna etc.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking roasted red pepper, regular bell peppers, maybe zucchini? Lots of onion, that you cook REALLY well so the sweetness comes out like tomato would. That's what I would do.

eta: you can get those roasted red peppers in a jar or a can I think and they add sweetness and a little liquid to a recipe like a tomato would.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/food/tomatoes.html

" Tomato sauce, a common staple found in most pantries, has powerful health benefits thanks to an ingredient called lycopene. Lycopene is a phytochemical that acts as a powerful antioxidant, potentially helping to reduce the risk of prostate, esophageal and breast cancers.

Lycopene is also a pigment. This pigment is what makes watermelon vivid pink and tomatoes bright red. You can also find lycopene in fresh papaya, guava, pink grapefruit and all other tomato products.

You will receive the best absorption of lycopene from cooked or processed products such as tomato-based pasta sauce, tomato paste, sauce, soup, juice, bottled salsa, chili sauce and ketchup. A bonus: When these foods are eaten with a little fat the lycopene is even better absorbed. "

You could try doctoring up your tomato sauce by adding basil, and whatever spices you like or fit the recipe you're working with to your liking. I prefer no sodium tomato sauces and add various spices and use that as a pasta sauce, often adding veggies such as zucchini, squash, artichoke hearts.., ...well the sky is the limit :o)
  • Dollieface
    Options
    I'm thinking roasted red pepper, regular bell peppers, maybe zucchini? Lots of onion, that you cook REALLY well so the sweetness comes out like tomato would. That's what I would do.

etd: you can get those roasted red peppers in a jar or a can I think and they add sweetness and a little liquid to a recipe like a tomato would.

Love this, thanks a lot! God knows I already add zucchini into everything and it's my go-to side but I am looking forward to try the roasted red pepper replacement (say that four times fast).
  • Dollieface
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help!

Good luck!