Heavy legs on morning run

Options
Good morning folks. Getting back into exercise after far too long a lay off. Been going to personal trainer a couple of times a week for the last year and he tells me my fitness is good and my core muscle strength ok. I can do 5 or 6 minutes of intervals on the treadmill quite easily but when I run on the road it's a different matter. I'm male, 5ft 6, and a couple of stone overweight. I tend to run first thing in the morning, last food about 9:30 the previous evening. What I'm finding is that my legs are really heavy to the point that I have to stop and walk even on a short run of a mile and a bit. Yesterday I made a lot more effort to hydrate myself and managed to run all the way this morning without stopping but my legs still felt heavier than they do when I'm on the treadmill. I'm wondering if I'm leaving too long a gap between eating and going for a run? I don't really want to eat anything just before going to bed. Should I eat something just before going out and, if so, what?

Thanks

Banjoblue

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    are you running to fast or doing too much too soon? running outside is not the same as the treadmill.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,435 Member
    Options
    I have really bad low blood pressure, and too low fluid levels in the morning. This is how I feel then. I can only work out in the evening after dinner. Working out early just isn't for me.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Running outside is generally harder than running on the treadmill for most. Ease yourself into it. Walk/run intervals are absolutely appropriate and are usually necessary for beginning runners.

Running fasted vs. fed won't make that big a difference to your performance. What you're generally describing is just a general lack of cardio conditioning and muscle development. Keep at it and it'll get better faster than you can believe.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Running outside provides a lot more resistance than the moving belt on the treadmill, plus a variety of inclines. What you're experiencing seems normal in my (beginner runner) experience. Keep at it, and hydrate well before you go. It does start to feel more natural quickly.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    you're going to feel a lot heavier on the pavement than the treadmill. Treadmills have more give and better shock absorbency. If you think you need a "boost" before your run, carry a fanny pack with gummy bears or eat them before your run :)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I can't eat anything before running (unless its a few hours before), it just hurts my stomach too much, plus I get bad side cramps. I run in the morning on an empty stomach having eaten dinner about 630 the night before.

Anyway, as previously stated running outside is harder on the body than treadmill and there is not as much "give" so just adjust and walk when you need to. I am training for a 5k and I'm in week 8 and still find that some of the hills in my neighborhood require me to walk, depending on the day. Some days I can run them no problem. Other days I struggle.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    This (above)

I would have to eat like half a banana and a bit of water before I ran outside. I went out one morning on an empty stomach and completely bonked and had to turn around and walk home so learned the hard way. For some reason if I go on my treadmill I’m ok but outside? Not so much.

Everyone’s different though just find what works for you.
  • jesguinn
    jesguinn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has already been said regarding easing into it, pavement is harder than treadmill, etc. I will add that fuel is also important. If I'm not getting enough carbs in, particularly the day before a longer run, my legs tend to feel heavy and the run is much tougher. This may not be the root of your issue, but just something else you might want to experiment with.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Running outside is generally harder than running on the treadmill for most. Ease yourself into it. Walk/run intervals are absolutely appropriate and are usually necessary for beginning runners.

Running fasted vs. fed won't make that big a difference to your performance. What you're generally describing is just a general lack of cardio conditioning and muscle development. Keep at it and it'll get better faster than you can believe.

I actually find the opposite, I run faster outdoors, and can go for longer outside. Though it usually feels like I am going slower, I am actually going faster.

OP, you may be going faster than you think outside, and burning out, as you don't have the treadmill dictating your speed.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    1. You might try eating a banana, some juice or even just coffee before going for your runs.
    2. You might just need more of a warmup on your runs. It usually takes me two miles or more for my legs to feel good. My pace is often something like 10:15, 9:45, 9:30, 9:20, and 9:15 for a five mile run. Try walking for 5 minutes before you start your run, then jogging very slowly until your legs feel good.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I have to think it’s less about food and more about speed. Going too fast. Try a pacing app. And make sure you have the right shoes as pavement is less forgiving.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Did you run on the treadmill at the same time?

Many find it is difficult to run in the morning without eating anything first. Many people adjust after a short period, however (I did), but some always find they have more energy after eating or later in the day.

It also could just be adjusting to running outside -- I'd just keep at it, it's normal to find the two types of running feel different. For me, the treadmill is so painfully dull and running outside is run, so the latter always feels easier, but mechanically outside (when flat) is supposed to be like the treadmill with a bit of incline, and could be you have more challenging terrain or hills or weather or something too? Lots of variables.
  • banjoblue
    banjoblue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys. I don't think I'm going too hard, too soon. It may well be that I'm heavier than I was when I last started running though and yes, its definitely harder on the pavement than on the treadmill. I think I'm going to try eating something small and light before I run, as well as keeping on top of my hydration. I'm also going to try running later in the day and see if that makes a difference. And I might try a warm up on the spin bike first to wake my legs up.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Running outside is so different from running on a tredmill - perhaps you pushed yourself to do too much, too soon.
    Also fuel up lightly before the run, that will help your energy levels.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I am an experienced runner and run several time a week. However, yesterday on my run I felt like my legs were tree trunks that didn't want to move! I just incorporated a couple spin classes into my workouts and that uses different muscles and I find that it creates friction as I switch exercises day to day. Also my trainer told me that our legs respond differently to the moving belt of a treadmill than the solid impact on the ground.