Calories

Where do I find on my computer and on my iPhone is says calories and net calories
Cheers
g4kfndrbjcg7.jpeg

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    You goal is your calorie target. The net calories is how many you have left adjusted for exercise.

Is that what you need to know?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Where do I find on my computer and on my iPhone is says calories and net calories
    Cheers
    g4kfndrbjcg7.jpeg

Your net should equal your goal. This is basically saying that with exercise you've essentially only eaten 460 calories.
  • Grace120899
    Grace120899 Posts: 6 Member
    fasam7jcjoj8.jpg
    Okay so after logging in all my food and excercise for today, this is what it looks like. I absolutely don't understand it. Should I eat more? Should I eat less? I am trying to lose between 0,5 to 0,75 kg per week. Thanks to anyone for reply
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    @grace120899 yes it is telling you to eat more.

Having said that, 933 cals is a huge exercise burn, what did you do? Exercise burns can be inflated, so some people start out eating back only half and seeing how it goes.

1043 cals is very little food. If its your first day, sometimes it takes a while for your body to get used to any dietary changes. but you want to eat at least 1200 cals and then some of your exercise cals. If you find you are never hungry and consistently eating under 1200, you should look to tighten up your logging by verifying the entries you are using in the database are correct and weighing out your portions. Logging is a skill that requires some practice, and many of us start out logging less than we are actually eating due to common logging errors. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    edited April 2018
    fasam7jcjoj8.jpg
    Okay so after logging in all my food and excercise for today, this is what it looks like. I absolutely don't understand it. Should I eat more? Should I eat less? I am trying to lose between 0,5 to 0,75 kg per week. Thanks to anyone for reply

You're supposed to eat your exercise calories back...though I wonder what you did to burn 933 calories. 1200 calorie target is already a large deficit from maintenance and assumes sedentary. If you eat 1043 calories and then go burn 933 it's pretty much the exact same thing as only eating 110 calories. Your body needs calories just to perform basic functions like you being alive...you being alive burns a crap ton of calories.

"Remaining" means that's how many calories you have remaining to eat to achieve your net goal of 1200 calories.

If you don't want to eat that much, stop doing all kinds of crazy exercise that's burning almost 1,000 calories in a day...it's not necessary for weight loss.

That said, I'd take that calorie burn with a big grain of salt...1,000 calorie burn for me is about a 30 mile bike ride, which I do...but not on a daily basis.
  • Grace120899
    Well it isn't crazy excercise... it's literally just and hour and a half of my karate, which I only have 3 times a week. And yeah I know that it's not much food, but I don't feel hungry at all and also, this is actually me trying to eat more during the day (because I used to not eat at all during the day. and then overeat during the evening) But I understand what you guys are saying.
  • cwolfman13
    Well it isn't crazy excercise... it's literally just and hour and a half of my karate, which I only have 3 times a week. And yeah I know that it's not much food, but I don't feel hungry at all and also, this is actually me trying to eat more during the day (because I used to not eat at all during the day. and then overeat during the evening) But I understand what you guys are saying.

How are you coming up with 933 calories for 90 minutes of karate? That seems pretty high to me for that particular activity.

But if that's accurate, you have to fuel it...netting 110 calories per day is going to do nothing except make your hair fall out, nails brittle, and lose menstrual cycle among other things...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

How are you coming up with 933 calories for 90 minutes of karate? That seems pretty high to me for that particular activity.

But if that's accurate, you have to fuel it...netting 110 calories per day is going to do nothing except make your hair fall out, nails brittle, and lose menstrual cycle among other things...

Very high. When I was doing Judo, an hour practice was about 180 calories if I remember correctly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Very high. When I was doing Judo, an hour practice was about 180 calories if I remember correctly.

That's what I figured given that I have to ride about 30-35 miles for that kind of burn, and that's pretty much non stop pedaling at 15-18 MPH with my HR consistently around 140.
  • Grace120899
    Well I don't know, it does seem like a lot, but that's literally what it said after I logged karate 90 minutes. I looked it up online and it is said that that karate does burn around 600 per hour... But yeah, so basically if I added the 1000 kcal to my food, I'd still be in a deficit?
  • quiksylver296
    Well I don't know, it does seem like a lot, but that's literally what it said after I logged karate 90 minutes. I looked it up online and it is said that that karate does burn around 600 per hour... But yeah, so basically if I added the 1000 kcal to my food, I'd still be in a deficit?

If you were Kung-Fu fighting for your life for the entire hour, maaaybe you'd burn 600 calories. But who does that? We stand around a little, listening to the sensei. Then we do a few motions. Then sensei talks a bit more. Etc and so on.

Quit logging so many exercise calories. No, I don't think you'd be in deficit if you added the 1000 calories, because I don't think you burned that many during karate.
  • Grace120899
    hu6dc9o91hdd.jpg
    I mean look at this
  • quiksylver296
    hu6dc9o91hdd.jpg
    I mean look at this

Just because the calculator says so, doesn't mean it's what your body really burned.
  • Grace120899
    Yeah, but that's why I am asking for help, because I don't think I've done that much wrong and the calculator was going nuts. I just want to make sure I understand everything correctly.
  • cwolfman13
    hu6dc9o91hdd.jpg
    I mean look at this

You're taking something from the database as gospel...there are so many inflated burns in the database that it isn't even funny.

I think you'd literally have to be fighting non-stop to get that kind of burn. As I recall from my BJJ days, there was a fair amount of standing around and observing and listening and practicing new movements very slowly and controlled. I never had a full out fighting session for 60-90 minutes.

You're supposed to eat back exercise calories with MFP because that activity isn't accounted for in your activity level...additional activity is obviously going to increase your maintenance calories, so yes...you eat them back and are still in a deficit...but you have to come up with a more accurate estimate which can be difficult which is why many people start with 1/2 and adjust accordingly.

Look at the math. My non-exercise maintenance calories are around 2500 calories...that means I can lose about 1 Lb per week eating 2,000 calories...that's without any exercise. But, I exercise regularly and typically burn in the neighborhood of 300-500 calories per session (unless I'm doing a long ride or actively training for an event) which would thus put my true maintenance calories at 2800-3000 which means I can lose that same 1 Lb per week eating 2300-2500 calories per day depending on the day.
  • Grace120899
    Okay that makes more sense... thanks for explaining it. And of course that I took the app literally, I am pretty much new to this...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,076 Member
    Instead of logging the full 90 minutes of class time for karate, you could try logging your estimate of how much time you're actually engaged in practice bouts (or matches, or whatever they're called) or any other real movement during the class. Standing or sitting listening to the instructor doesn't count; waiting in line for your turn to practice what you were taught or to take on an opponent doesn't count; time spent bowing to the instructor or your opponent doesn't count. Not when you're using a database entry that treats karate as an 8 MET activity or thereabouts.