Bar Code Scanner

Options
I thought this app provided a bar code scanner? I can’t find it.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    It does.. When you add food to the diary, there's a barcode icon in the top right.

I personally wouldn't recommend using it though, I find it inaccurate more often than not
  • valb2356
    valb2356 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Found it. Thank you
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Do check the info in the app against the box/packet when you use it. There are often inaccuracies, and it is largely user added, the same barcode can be used for different products in different areas, sometimes products have changed since they were added etc.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The other day I scanned a barcode for watermelon and I think it came up as some kind of bread.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I love the bar code scanner and find it to be accurate most of the time. I do double check everything the first time I scan because I have had small differences (like 10 calories off probably due to change over time). The other day I scanned a low-fat fudge-sickle and it came back as Weight Watchers, which it wasn't, but the calories were the same so I took it. I wish I could scan things into the recipe builder because that thing has a crazy mind of its own and I have to go back and edit about half the ingredients most of the time.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    I love the bar code scanner and find it to be accurate most of the time. I do double check everything the first time I scan because I have had small differences (like 10 calories off probably due to change over time). The other day I scanned a low-fat fudge-sickle and it came back as Weight Watchers, which it wasn't, but the calories were the same so I took it. I wish I could scan things into the recipe builder because that thing has a crazy mind of its own and I have to go back and edit about half the ingredients most of the time.

Scanning things into the recipe builder would be AMAZING! I love the scanner. I would say that for me it’s accurat 90-95% of the time.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If the barcode is wrong you can scroll to the bottom of the screen and search the database for a better match!
    I do that sometimes but I do worry that barcodes are re-used internationally so although my strawberry yogurt came up as an American brand of, I dunno, tomato sauce which is clearly wrong for me, it might be right for American users...
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The weirdest one for me is wine. I've scanned more different bottles of red wine than I care to admit and they all bring up the same entry (table red). I don't worry too much though because as long as they are the same strength differences are usually negligible.
  • cwoodleyjones12
    cwoodleyjones12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Where is the scanner?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    ​​​​​​Please see this article, and search for answers to Frequently Asked Questions and other helpful articles, on the MFP Help/FAQ pages...

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/13640-how-do-i-use-the-barcode-scanner-to-log-foods-