Don't Understand TDEE - HELP!

Options
christiangeek
christiangeek Posts: 17 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everybody. I don't understand the explanations I have read of TDEE and how to apply it. I had a stroke 10 years ago and it impacted my ability to follow logic somewhat so simple is better. Thanks for understanding about that. I'm 55yo female. 5'2 inches. Diabetic. Started at 280 pounds in January, was down to 250, now back at 255 (AAAAUUUUGGGHH). Sedentary (very). Work out about a half hour at home every day, mix of cardio and strength training. My strength is with wimpy weights (8 lb dumbbells per my doctor) and nothing to impact my back. So I did the TDEE calculator at DamnRipped.com and got the attached info. I don't quite understand how to use it AND do I eat back some of my exercise calories (which given how much weight I need to lose, I think not).

ALSO -- my hubby thinks I should drop some significant weight before getting much into exercise so it will be easier on my joints and esp my back. I think it's counterproductive to do that. What say you who've been there/done that?

THANK YOU.

1o8n3hwx4h93.jpg

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to worry about TDEE method when you're using MFP.

MFP uses the NEAT Method, which is different to TDEE. TDEE includes your exercise, whereas MFP doesn't.

If you put your stats into MFP and choose a rate of 2lbs per week that will give you a net calorie goal, you then log your intentional exercise separately.

There's a very simple explanation on this thread here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10642346/weight-loss-frequently-asked-questions-infographic-answers/p1
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    If you are very sedentary and have a habit of snacking when you are bored, the activity (any extra activity, such as going to the zoo for instance) will keep your food intake in check.

Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is how much energy in calories you use to function on a daily basis. Eat less than that each day and over the long term you will lose weight. It is a mathematical certainty, according to Lavoisier.

If you sleep all day, you are still burning calories to stay alive. If you are more active, your TDEE goes up. Therefore, by staying active, you make it harder for yourself to consume more energy than you have used to function throughout the day.

Hope that helps!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. These are you maintenance calories. These are the estimated calories that you expend daily.

To lose weight you have to eat below maintenance which is why that calculator gave you daily calories of 1540. It is a 500 calorie cut from your estimated maintenance calories which equates to a 3500 calorie weekly deficit which is about 1 Lb per week weight loss.

Exercise wise, walking is a good place to start if you're heavier, as well as focusing on more general activity overall if you're sedentary.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The explanation is right there in your screen grab....

"Your TDEE is 2,053.

Your TDEE is the amount of calories you need to consume a day to in-order to maintain your current weight while performing your daily and exercise activities."

Eating anything under that should put you into a calorie deficit and hence lose weight over time.
    Your site is suggesting a conservative deficit of 513 calories to give you a daily goal of 1540 calories which should result in roughly one pound a week weight loss.

Yes exercise is good but it shouldn't hurt.
    Remember if you significantly change your exercise volume then you should revisit the site to recalculate your TDEE.

Don't forget trying to add in daily activity and movement, not just purposeful exercise, it all adds up and is far healthier than being "very sedentary". Best of luck.
  • christiangeek
    christiangeek Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you so very much, everybody! Leave it to me to try to complicate something simple!
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I hope the OP doesn't mind me adding a question, but it is relevant to their attached data. It says for the OP, BMR is 1711 and suggested calories for weight loss is 1540. Aren't you supposed to eat above your BMR?

My point in asking is to keep others who may read this post or try the same website's calculator from potentially making a mistake.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    LuckyAndi wrote: »
    I hope the OP doesn't mind me adding a question, but it is relevant to their attached data. It says for the OP, BMR is 1711 and suggested calories for weight loss is 1540. Aren't you supposed to eat above your BMR?

My point in asking is to keep others who may read this post or try the same website's calculator from potentially making a mistake.

That is correct, eating below BMR isn't recommended - our bodies need all those calories to function efficiently/healthily.