Exercise Calories

Options
Hi
Can anyone tell me how to stop my exercise calories being counted as extra calories to use on my daily tracker .I don't want to eat the extra calories and am not that great at subtraction!!!!!!

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    MFP premium. Don't log exercise or log with zero calories. Disconnect trackers.

But why would you not eat them? Would that not create a deficit that is more than 20%-25% of the calories you spend each day? And 25% would only apply if you had obese levels of energy reserves!
  • tryer1
    tryer1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your prompt reply.
    I now ponder why I didn't think of these simple solutions!!!!!!
    Can I display my ignorance again and ask you to explain what you mean by obese level energy reserves - don't quite understand that part of your answer!!!!!
  • tryer1
    tryer1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh Thank you for your advice.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I am scared to log mine at what my not connected fitness watch/app tells me to. The hard part is knowing which estimate - my normal burn or my exercise burn - is wrong if I start to gain or lose. I am still more okay with losing than gaining for maybe another 4 or 5 pounds. Today I entered 60 min of 3 mph for 240 calories, when my watch says 441 calories for 10860 steps.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you're following MFP's goals, it's expected that you eat the calories back to fuel your body and keep your deficit consistent

Usually a deficit of about 20% of Total Daily Energy Expenditure is considered to be at the edge of aggressive for anyone who does not have the fat reserves to be correctly categorized as medically obese, at which point 25% deficits would be considered to be at the edge of aggressive.

By not including your exercise in your tracking [and given that your activity level as specificed by MFP does not normally include deliberate exercise and/or especially if you are receiving your "exercise" adjustment from an all day fitness tracking device that is essentially correcting the daily level of activity you declared during MFP's guided setup] you are running the real risk of increasing your deficit beyond the edge of aggressive.

Being overly aggressive increases the likelihood of not achieving a good outcome.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just take off the tracker when working out, then put it on when done.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tryer1 wrote: »
    Thanks for your prompt reply.
    I now ponder why I didn't think of these simple solutions!!!!!!
    Can I display my ignorance again and ask you to explain what you mean by obese level energy reserves - don't quite understand that part of your answer!!!!!

Obese and morbidly obese individuals can sustain bigger deficits because they have tremendous stores of fat. Not so much otherwise.

By not accounting for your exercise and fueling that activity, you're making your deficit bigger which may or may not be a good thing. This also depends on what you're doing for exercise...if it's light like walking, it doesn't break down the body so much so it's not as critical to provide more energy for that. More intense exercise is a big stress on the body and breaks it down and you need calories to build it back up and make fitness improvements.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Until I'm no longer at an obese weight, I'm not eating back my exercise calories. Since I don't even know for sure how many I'm burning, it works for me. I do log what the machines tell me, just for my own records.
  • Bluedragonfire76
    Bluedragonfire76 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a question. I am close to 300 lb and MyFitnessPal says I need to eat at least 2,310cal per day. My bmr is 2,043 and I burn 1,800 to 3000 calories a day in exercises from walking to treadmill to cycling I also do some lifting. The thing is I only eat about 1,800 to 2000 calories a day.
    What I want to know is is this wrong? should I do more? I've been doing this more than a month now.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a question. I am close to 300 lb and MyFitnessPal says I need to eat at least 2,310cal per day. My bmr is 2,043 and I burn 1,800 to 3000 calories a day in exercises from walking to treadmill to cycling I also do some lifting. The thing is I only eat about 1,800 to 2000 calories a day.
    What I want to know is is this wrong? should I do more? I've been doing this more than a month now.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10657008/my-calorie-deficit