Weight gain

Hello
I'm 5ft2 and 6st11 and really want to put on weight. I am currently on 2 protein drinks a day and eating about 2200 calories. Any tips would be great

Jo

Replies

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Hello,
    If you'd like to gain weight you must eat at a calorie surplus. Sometimes it takes some trial and error to figure out exactly how many calories that will be. Everyone will be different.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Figure out what your maintenance calories are...eat more than that.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    How long on 2200 cals and is that resulting in weight gain, loss or maintenance?

What is stopping you from eating more if you aren't gaining at your current level?

Why protein shakes and not just food that includes a good amount of protein and (probably) more calories than shakes?

Maybe making your food diary public would help?
    (Only you how you are currently eating.)
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    More calories, and there's no better to have protein shakes than to eat protein from food, so do what you enjoy. Also, you can't benefit from more than 0.8-1.2g protein per lb of bodyweight, so eating more than that is not necessary or helpful.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Lift some weights and eat more. Don't be afraid to eat carbs, fat, and sugar. :D
  • triton827
    triton827 Posts: 4 Member
    From what I'm learning and I'm in the same boat trying to gain weight is obviously be in a surplus over your maitanence level but like 50% of your calories should come from carbs. Don't rely on protein shakes for weight gain eat real food. I'm still finding what works for me and I'm currently eating a little over 3000 calories. It's not that difficult, for example dinner get a good amount of pasta in.
  • Joross14
    Joross14 Posts: 2 Member
    How do u find out what is your maintenance calories? I'm guessing mine would be 2200 calories as I'm stable but not gaining. I'm was told to try whey powder to get more calories in. Any good high calorie snack any one could suggest? Currently I'm have nuts seeds and lots of chocolate as Easter has just been.

Jo
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018
    Joross14 wrote: »
    How do u find out what is your maintenance calories? I'm guessing mine would be 2200 calories as I'm stable but not gaining. I'm was told to try whey powder to get more calories in. Any good high calorie snack any one could suggest? Currently I'm have nuts seeds and lots of chocolate as Easter has just been.

Jo

You are maintaining if you are weight stable at 2200 so you need to increase your calories. You don't need an alternate method to figure that out.

There is a list of calorie dense foods that are higher in calories in the the link provided.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1